Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rubiales: "I'm not going to resign" - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rubiales: "I'm not going to resign"

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
edited August 2023 in Off Topic
He said it five times in a row, during a press conference full of men, to considerable applause.

The few women who were there did not clap.

I think it's disgraceful - AFAIK he hasn't even apologized.

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
rubiales.png 585.1K
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    He doesn't really need to resign anymore given he doesn't have a team.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Don't think he's gonna have a choice soon.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    He was obviously out of order but the hysterical over reaction is beyond belief with the BBC, as usual, going right OTT and making it their lead story.  It clearly thinks it is the most important story in the world for a UK audience.  This just in -  it isn't. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    edited August 2023
    Yes as usual a massive over reaction from the msm. If only they gave such weight to government corruption and the huge transfer of wealth to the corporations we're witnessing. 

But that would be biting the hand that feeds them. 

I actually also think it's an over reaction from the female footballers. Yes the guy probably made a mistake but he didn't grope the player. He was carried away in the moment of witnessing his country win the world cup. It's there for all to see. 

An apology yes but losing his job?

What a nasty spiteful world we're letting them create with the misrepresentation of movements like #metoo and blacklivesmatter.

It's classic divide and conquer tactics.

We're so busy fighting amongst ourselves nowadays issues that really matter get swept under the carpet. They are not even talked about.

Cue the pitchforks from the woke brigade. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    He did offer an apology, but rolled Hermoso into it by claiming that it was mutual.

Along with the unwelcome kiss, he slapped her arse as she walked off-stage and grabbed his crotch in celebration while standing with the Queen and Princess of Spain.

Still, the Spanish FA are backing him up and, somewhat ludicrously, trying to claim that Hermoso started it all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Yeah, why should we be stopped from kissing women if we feel like. Wokery gone crazy. What next, being cancelled for telling a lass to smile? Not allowed to express compliment from across the street? Frowned upon from changing seats on a bus or a train to be nearer a well fit girl? I just want to live my life unhindered from all this politcal correctness - they should understand that it's nothing personal, it's just how men express their feelings. Women, eh?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Good for him.

Trial by media and social media simply has to stop.
    2reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Nah, fuck him and his job.  Entitled prick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Good for him.

It's not "trial by media" here, it's an entitled, arrogant arsehole with an attitude problem so bad that the athletes themselves - you know, the ones who actually play the game and do the hard yards - they flat refuse to work for him any longer. 

When 79 of your co-workers (every one of them more important to the team than you are) all walk out on you ... Scumbag, it's not them. It's you.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    edited August 2023
    Tannin said:
    Good for him.

It's not "trial by media" here, it's an entitled, arrogant arsehole with an attitude problem so bad that the athletes themselves - you know, the ones who actually play the game and do the hard yards - they flat refuse to work for him any longer. 

When 79 of your co-workers (every one of them more important to the team than you are) all walk out on you ... Scumbag, it's not them. It's you.

Is 'Scumbag' a tiny bit harsh?

Do you think it's right that this is the lead story on the news?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    If he had immediately apologised for the kiss there was a chance that this might have gone away, but the doubling down that it was consensual, "she asked for it" when this is clearly denied has put him in deep water.
    The fact that he is backed by the Spanish Football Association also demonstrates what a bunch of scumbags they also are.

This should have been a celebration of women's achievement in a male-dominated sport.  He made the story about him.   

It needs to be in the news to shine a massive spotlight on the much wider issues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Hattigol said:

For a man who thinks it's OK to grab and kiss an unconsenting woman?

I'd say it's a bit mild. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 187
    edited August 2023
    Once you've copped  a bit of thigh you've  got to go for the snog.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Hattigol said:

Do you think it's right that this is the lead story on the news?
    1: Nope. That is the way he has chosen to behave, he has earned the term.

2: Given that sport stories regularly get to be the lead stories on the news, yes of course it deserves to be there. BUT I do not think it's right that sport stories get into the news in the first place. News is supposed to be for important stuff, stuff that matters. Sport, generally speaking, doesn't matter a damn. But then again, you could argue that a revolt by so many players against an entrenched, entitled scumbag administrator is newsworthy in itself, regardless of the triviality of sport in general.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I think if he'd held up his hands and said "ok, it was the heat of the moment, we'd just won the world cup, the occasion got to me and I got carried along in all of the excitement" and then issued an unequivocal apology for his actions we probably wouldn't be discussing this now.  But he didn't - in fact he dug his heels in and frankly made himself look like an arrogant prick.

The situation is all of his own making but it's hardly front page stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Christ... the guy is clearly a scumbag.  He kissed a woman without consent, this is NOT ON.  

Now actually he DID apologise, but women's rights are a sensitive situation in Spain, and this has stirred them up, so he was told he should resign, now he is refusing, and in fact going after the player in question accusing her of lifting him up (which isn't sexual, so I've no idea where he thinks he will get with that).

As for sport not being as important as other things, that's not an opinion shared by huge chunks of the world, but also this women's world cup has become a crucible for women's rights globally.  The teams put on a great show on a global stage for a tiny fraction of the money their male counterparts get.  Hell the England team was even screwed over by US officials, if that isn't equality with the male game I don't know what is (that's a joke, BTW...)

If you are in a senior public job exposed to the world, and you choose that moment he choose to inappropriately behave towards a woman, you will find yourself in the flames.  He could have just resigned and quietly come back in a year or two like pretty much everyone else in the same situation does, but he's chosen to die on this hill.

As for the "MSM" response - come off it - it IS a huge story not about sport but about the entitled, aggressive and inappropriate way powerful men feel they can behave around women. 

They could make the story every day "capitalism is evil" or "climate change is killing us all" - and both of those things are true, for me and probably for many, but that is not how the news cycle works.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Sorry, its massively inappropriate for a man in such a position and on the world stage.

This was a huge platform for women and women's football, but because this guy is a twat, the achievement of the team has become a back ground event to his actions.

Ridiculous and out of place in todays world. He shouldn't even have a choice, he should be gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Kissed without consent? probably just as well he didn't 'grab her by the pussy' like another certain arrogant insensitive entitled male chauvinist shithead.
     Try this transcript from 2005 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37595321

I'm not saying the Rubiales incident is front page news, but ignoring it or relegating it to page 17 is definitely not the right action either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    A few years back, I was in a bar on New Year's Eve. A girl came up to me, said Happy New Year and started kissing me. I hadn't consented and stopped her.

Was she a scumbag?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    bUt hE KiSsed thE OtHeRs tOo B)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Hattigol said:
    A few years back, I was in a bar on New Year's Eve. A girl came up to me, said Happy New Year and started kissing me. I hadn't consented and stopped her.

Was she a scumbag?
    Did you enjoy it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cols said:
    Hattigol said:

Was she a scumbag?
    Did you enjoy it?
    I'd imagine a straw man kissing you is a bit abrasive... ;)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Hattigol said:

Was she a scumbag?
    Yup.

But men tend to welcome unsolicited attention from women more than women do from men. 

Also guessing neither of you were high profile people representing your country on the world stage at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    1. Is that relevant?

2. Can you imagine the sheer OUTRAGE if someone asked whether Hermoso 'enjoyed it'?

3. No, I didn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    edited August 2023
    As President of his Football Association, he ought to know how to behave in public in relation to his prominent position in the sport. This behaviour isn't acceptable, and, at worst, he is using the power of his position to be abusive.

When did you last see the President of the FA rub his crutch and stick his tongue down the throat of a male footballer at a Football Final??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

The popularity and rise of women’s football is seen as a big move towards equality both in the game and beyond.  The game is now has a massive global audience and for the first time the women's game is being taken seriously on a large scale, showing what Women athletes can achieve at their best.

If people really think un unwarranted kiss,  arse slapping and crotch grabbing are okay in this or any other arena, then I do despair.

We always have this woke / MSM shit every time something people don’t like or agree with.  The media have always blown everything out of proportion, doesn’t make it right.

Would the people that think it’s okay be okay with somebody doing that to your missus at work?  

If I did it at work to a woman I’d be sacked, rightly fucking so if you ask me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cols said:
    Hattigol said:

Was she a scumbag?
    Did you enjoy it?
    If you don't know the difference between an analogy and a strawman argument, try Google.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Hattigol said:
    Cols said:
    Hattigol said:

Was she a scumbag?
    Did you enjoy it?
    If you don't know the difference between an analogy and a strawman argument, try Google.
    Right, that's it, pistols at dawn...

I know the difference mate ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Does anyone know what their relationship was like away from the pitch ? Were they friendly and kissy-kissy ?

My sons gf is Spanish and whenever her family come over they snog your faces off as soon as look at you 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter