Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ahsoka. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ahsoka.

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited August 2023
    sev112 said:
    So when is this set - between Episode II and III?

i don’t understand how she was Anakin’s Palawan?  Anakin was never allowed to be a master Jedi before he went off on his strop, so he was still a padawan of ObiWan?  
    Me so confused.  
    Jedi Knights could take padawans - the route to Master was when their first padawan completed their training. Ahsoka left the order before completing her training because...well, they were assholes...so he never became a Master.

As I recall, they even offered for her to become a Jedi Knight to try to get her back, but she refused. Ergo, she was partially responsible for his fall.

EDIT: Of course, he didn't back her when the Council accused her of a bunch of crimes, so he's responsible for her being responsible etc.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    Just watched them. Really glad they did two at once, if Id had to have waited till next week after the first one it would have been disappointing.

I also just couldnt quite get in to the animated stuff ive seen bits and bobs of it.. So im not that up on her story. But it seemed ok..  A bit early to say anything either way yet but it certainly has potential.  In saying that its only going to be eight episodes again which I just find isnt long enough to get a really good story arc in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like the cat.

Me too ♥

Have to say I enjoyed those first 2. It's no Andor by any stretch, but so far it's been enjoyable and certainly seems to have potential. Plus, it's STAR WARS FFS, so of course it's ossum :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I found it pretty enjoyable, I like lightsaber fights, bored of Skywalker stuff, so it is nice to see it keeping the best stuff without the baggage.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Switch625 said:
    T'was great. As a fan of Rebels I think they've done a fantastic job of bringing the characters and locations in to live action. Was sad knowing that Ray Stevenson isn't going to be around to make any more... his presence was great. It's been a few years since I've seen Clone Wars and Rebels but it definitely helped in being more familiar with the storyline. I did have to watch a bit of a recap video afterwards though just to remind myself of certain things. Might be useful for others that haven't seen Rebels or need a refresher:

I watched this - it's pacey (!) But helpful. Clearly some fantastic stories that I'd have enjoyed watching but simply don't have the time to catch up.on it all properly 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    tekbow said:
    Just watched both episodes. My main concern is actually Rosario Dawson's physicality - during fight scenes, she looks like she's trying to keep up rather than being one of the best fighters around (as opposed to, say, Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen when they properly went at it).

Ahsoka's supposed to be almost Kenobi's level, able to fight Maul to a standstill and even survive against Vader. That just didn't come across in the fight scenes at all.

Well... she's hardly been challenged yet.

But I know what you mean. She didn't flow as such? Like a touch stiff? But I didn't see it as "trying to keep up", I took it as "not needing to give it her full effort".

That being said, we know there's Samurai inspiration in Jedi, and Ahsoka (the show) is displaying it more overtly than the Kurosawa via Western that Mando used.

The Drums of the theme tune were more directly japanese in style and Ahsokas fighting technique seems more directly Samurai (via Japanese cinema). They often look quite stiff and poised.

Her strikes are economical, precise and strong as compared to the Wushu style from the prequels or the European style of the Originals.

My favourite of all the recent depictions was what Luke was doing in Mando season 2. That did seem like something unique although doubtless borrowed from many styles.

I should add, we know she's capable of the flowy stuff from her stint on Mandalorian.
    Haven't watched yet but yeah, absolutely - a huge amount of the swordfights in Star Wars (or indeed, in 99% of screen appearances in any action movie) bear little resemblance to actual practical swordplay, because they want it to look fancy. (Would you ever attempt to kick a capable swordsman? Not if you want to keep your foot.) And you are absolutely right about the influence of Wushu. I've often wondered if this is a reflection of a wider cultural aesthetic. Classical architecture in Japan and China is another interesting area of comparison. One is way more austere than the other. 

Particularly about 3:40 in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    edited August 2023
    Rabs said:
    Just watched them. Really glad they did two at once, if Id had to have waited till next week after the first one it would have been disappointing.

Agreed. 

Throughly enjoyed ep2, I let out a whoop when I saw Chopper.

I've surprised myself this year by how into Bad Batch and Rebels I got. I only started watching as "homework" for Ahsoka, but definitely got hooked. Hope the rest of the season lives up to Rebels...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Enjoyed episode 3! Seems like it's building nicely.
    edited September 2023
    OK, I watched Eps 1 and 2 

(caveat, I'm an Ahsoka character/stories neophyte other than having watched a youtube roundup for a bit of background) 

Umm - anyone else think this all looks very 'budget' compared to the other Disney series ? 

It definitely all seemed a bit thin and simplistic too - but I guess I'm missing out on the impact of all the fondly-remembered-characters stuff.... 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    The General in particular seems to have the charisma of a mid-tier 2000s PC game cutscene character 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I watched the first 3 yesterday. It's absolutely fine so far. I'm obviously missing some of the backstory but it's clipping along and things are happening at a reasonable pace. 

It does look a bit cheap in places - both the wide CGI stuff and the closeups that rely on The Volume a little bit too much in a way that you can't unsee once you notice it. 

But it's enjoyable enough - never going to measure up to Andor so very little point in that comparison. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I'm enjoying it.   

Not sure what Filoni is doing with some character/force/jedi changes but I trust he has a plan.  

I think it will build into something very good.  It certainly seems like its going to expand the star wars galaxy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 517
    tFB Trader
    I'm enjoying it for the most part.
    My main gripe is the portrayal of Ahsoka doesn't match what I've seen in Clone Wars and Rebels (although I haven't watched all of Clone Wars). She seems to be a completely different character, just standing around with crossed arms. No personality.
  • WezV said:
    I'm enjoying it.   

Not sure what Filoni is doing with some character/force/jedi changes but I trust he has a plan.  

I think it will build into something very good.  It certainly seems like its going to expand the star wars galaxy.

I agree with most of the gripes so far but I'm still enjoying it on the whole. That said...

Sabine does not and should not be able to 'become' force sensitive - that just feels stupid.

Even Legends-era didn't have that (I think?!!!), the closest it got would have been Kyle Katarn and Ulic Qel-Droma both being cutoff from the force by external factors, with Kyle at least being able to regain his through a deus ex machina. Both of those were already Jedi/force users though by that point, so it's a very different scenario.

• @guitargeek62 - yes, exactly. The only thing I'm really annoyed with so far is that this is a total lore-breaking story point.
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    I like it. I guess I'm enjoying that it's not another western set in space, it has more of a far eastern mystical vibe about it, which does set it apart a bit from some of the other offerings.
    I have absolutely no lore knowledge at all, so that doesn't bother me, though I do wonder what Ahsoka was doing during the whole rebellion thing (and I'm sure someone will come along and tell me), perhaps she didn't notice it going on or something...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:

I have absolutely no lore knowledge at all, so that doesn't bother me, though I do wonder what Ahsoka was doing during the whole rebellion thing (and I'm sure someone will come along and tell me), perhaps she didn't notice it going on or something...
    That's what "Rebels" was about :)
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    VimFuego said:

That's what "Rebels" was about :)
    yeah, it's on the list to watch. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    @guitargeek62 - yes, exactly. The only thing I'm really annoyed with so far is that this is a total lore-breaking story point.
    It's back to George Lucas' original idea of the force. I am interested to see where it is taken, but it could easily be taken too far.

Ahsoka is no Jedi...... is this a different kind of student?     The show doesn't seem to suggest that yet, but I'm sure Filoni has a plan.

She was noticed by Bendu in Rebels.  A vague hint of potential perhaps.

Anyway... what happened to Ahsoka's staff from the final scene of Rebels.  It would have been easy to add some story to explain it, but they just got rid of it instead.

• @guitargeek62 - yes, exactly. The only thing I'm really annoyed with so far is that this is a total lore-breaking story point.
    I know what you mean, and let's see how it progresses, but surely it's plausible to have levels of ability, and if you've not acted on that when young and, in effect, repressed that, might some latent ability still persist? There's a whole gaping backstory hole where Ahsoka takes her on as a padawan in the first place, so in theory there must have been something there?

But yeah, let's see where it goes. I definitely prefer blowing-shit-up Sabine to weak-force-yielder Sabine so far though.
  • WezV said:

Ahsoka is no Jedi...... is this a different kind of student?     The show doesn't seem to suggest that yet, but I'm sure Filoni has a plan.
    Well, given that it was all him, I've got to believe that he had a plan for where her story would go.

I guess the point is that the Jedi aren't the only light-side Force users, same as the Sith aren't the only dark-side users (eg the Witches of Dathomir and the Nightsisters, respectively).

Of course, I'm making the huge assumption that there's a point and depth to all this. There may well not be, given how shallow most of Disney's output has been in the last few years (not just Star Wars, but the MCU and Indiana Jones too).
    <space for hire>
  • WezV said:

She was noticed by Bendu in Rebels.  A vague hint of potential perhaps.

I had forgotten this, good point.
    I know what you mean, and let's see how it progresses, but surely it's plausible to have levels of ability, and if you've not acted on that when young and, in effect, repressed that, might some latent ability still persist? There's a whole gaping backstory hole where Ahsoka takes her on as a padawan in the first place, so in theory there must have been something there?

But yeah, let's see where it goes. I definitely prefer blowing-shit-up Sabine to weak-force-yielder Sabine so far though.
    Erm.. Rebels

Erm.. Rebels
    You mean the final scene? Or did I miss something earlier?
  • I’ve seen it advertised on YouTube waiting for a video & I didn’t realise it was animated til I read this 
  • I’ve seen it advertised on YouTube waiting for a video & I didn’t realise it was animated til I read this 
    The "Ahsoka" series is live-action. "The Clone Wars" and "Rebels" are animated, and that's where the character comes from.
    <space for hire>
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    Honestly I was a bit disappointed with Ep3. Seemed like a short filler episode..  

I will (obviously) keep watching. Im sure its building to something but the pacing is a bit up and down..  With this and a lot of these mini series they seem to be ideas that should have been films and they have just decided to stretch them out just to make it in to a TV show. You get all these long boring bits which seem unnecessarily and sometimes painfully slow just to take up some time.  Like that bit in the first episode when she has to solve that stone puzzle.. They really dragged that out.
    The "Ahsoka" series is live-action. "The Clone Wars" and "Rebels" are animated, and that's where the character comes from.
    Ahh I see ,   
    Is the cat-thing a well-loved character from the cartoons? It gets a lot of lingering shots 
  • TimmyO said:
    Is the cat-thing a well-loved character from the cartoons? It gets a lot of lingering shots 
    Yeah, kinda. It's a Loth-Cat, used as a symbol of Lothal. But mostly I think they did a good job of the CGI and want to sell some merch probably  ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter