Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ahsoka. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ahsoka.

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
Has started after a long wait, and looking good so far. Nice to see Lothal live action.

It's definitely a new season of Rebels for all intents and purposes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    I do not understand this thread. 

#iamold
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I have never seen any animated Star Wars. Am I likely to get anything out of this at all? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I have never seen any animated Star Wars. Am I likely to get anything out of this at all? 
    I have tried animated SW and just couldn’t get into it at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have never seen any animated Star Wars. Am I likely to get anything out of this at all? 
    I have tried animated SW and just couldn’t get into it at all.
    I watched all of Bad Batch and Rebels in the run-up to today, and my partner hasn't watched any, but is into the Mandolorian. We'll watch it tonight or tomorrow and I'll let you know @stickyfiddle ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569

If you've not seen Rebels at least, then prob not straight away.

Although, Filoni is good at making things accessible, and there's some exposition that establishes enough about the characters histories for someone to watch it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Rebels is peak Star Wars.  It is consistently better than any other series or film.    

Don't let animation put you off and stick with it.  If you don't love it by the end you have no right calling yourself a Star Wars fan.

Can't wait to watch this later
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ta - will keep an eye on reviews but not rush in. TBH I haven't seen the latest Mando season yet either. I feel like Andor was so good it made everything feel flimsy
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezV said:
    Rebels is peak Star Wars.  It is consistently better than any other series or film.    

Don't let animation put you off and stick with it.  If you don't love it by the end you have no right calling yourself a Star Wars fan.

I’d say that Andor managed to top it, but yeah - Rebels was great!

Anyone coming into Ahsoka without having watched TCW or Rebels is going to struggle to give a shit about the ‘new’ characters and their motivations, so expect to see a lot of critique about the plot from those. Otherwise, the first two episodes were pretty great - they felt like ‘proper’ SW, unlike Obi-Wan or BoBF.

The main thing I struggled with so far is trying to unsee Hera as Elizabeth-Winsted in cosplay - there’s something ‘off’ about her that pulls me out of the scene when she’s present. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    WezV said:

I’d say that Andor managed to top it, but yeah - Rebels was great!

I will let you have that if it manages to maintain that quality for a second series ;)
  • Haha fair point @WezV, season 2 has a lot to live up to!
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    tekbow said:

Although, Filoni is good at making things accessible, and there's some exposition that establishes enough about the characters histories for someone to watch it.
    *sigh*. So what revision do I have to do before watching the first episode, assuming I’ve watched all the films and shows but not the cartoons?  
    Cols said:
    tekbow said:

*sigh*. So what revision do I have to do before watching the first episode, assuming I’ve watched all the films and shows but not the cartoons?  
    DIsney+ have helpfully put an Ahsoka playlist together that gives you some of the most relevant episodes from the animations.

I don't recommend trying all of Clone Wars - there are some great episodes, but a lot of filler.  I'd maybe do the playlist up to Rebels, then watch all of Rebels
  • @stickyfiddle @fretmeister @Cols ;

Watch these catchups first (both under ten mins):

Ahsoka’s backstory: https://youtu.be/UyIPvrSIMAU?si=PgwMh1puWBVN9SOy

Rebels backstory: 
    https://youtu.be/hPqklIvGknk?si=4NWo9StrlcWJiCpc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Also, bloody great to see E-Wings in canon again and live-action for the first time! :mrgreen:
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited August 2023
    This is probably the best one to watch for a quick 15 minute recap:

In my opinion, Ahsoka is actually one of the most well-written characters in the whole franchise, and certainly the one with the most character development (even if that is just down to the sheer amount of screen time she's had relative to everyone else). A lot of folk coming into this series cold will probably get the impression she's just another Rey-like cardboard cutout, but that's not really the case at all. Hell, they even deliberately wrote her to be annoying as fuck for most of the first season, just to give her a redemption arc; that's brave when you're doing it with your main protagonist.

If they don't stick the landing here, there will be absolutely no excuse.
    <space for hire>
    I'm gleeful to see live action Chopper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Thanks for the reminder.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Just watched the start of Ep1. It's a banger!
    edited August 2023
    guitargeek62 said:

The main thing I struggled with so far is trying to unsee Hera as Elizabeth-Winsted in cosplay - there’s something ‘off’ about her that pulls me out of the scene when she’s present. 

Actually... I though EW was a questionable choice in the trailers. I know what you mean about off.

However once I saw Ep. 2, I'd bought in. Hera was a immensely "animated" (and I don't mean her previous medium of appearance) and playful character.

Winstead appears to have captured that, notably during her exchange with the Correlian Administrator.
    Just watched both episodes. My main concern is actually Rosario Dawson's physicality - during fight scenes, she looks like she's trying to keep up rather than being one of the best fighters around (as opposed to, say, Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen when they properly went at it).

Ahsoka's supposed to be almost Kenobi's level, able to fight Maul to a standstill and even survive against Vader. That just didn't come across in the fight scenes at all.
    <space for hire>
    edited August 2023
    Just watched both episodes. My main concern is actually Rosario Dawson's physicality - during fight scenes, she looks like she's trying to keep up rather than being one of the best fighters around (as opposed to, say, Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen when they properly went at it).

Ahsoka's supposed to be almost Kenobi's level, able to fight Maul to a standstill and even survive against Vader. That just didn't come across in the fight scenes at all.

Well... she's hardly been challenged yet.

But I know what you mean. She didn't flow as such? Like a touch stiff? But I didn't see it as "trying to keep up", I took it as "not needing to give it her full effort".

That being said, we know there's Samurai inspiration in Jedi, and Ahsoka (the show) is displaying it more overtly than the Kurosawa via Western that Mando used.

The Drums of the theme tune were more directly japanese in style and Ahsokas fighting technique seems more directly Samurai (via Japanese cinema). They often look quite stiff and poised.

Her strikes are economical, precise and strong as compared to the Wushu style from the prequels or the European style of the Originals.

My favourite of all the recent depictions was what Luke was doing in Mando season 2. That did seem like something unique although doubtless borrowed from many styles.

I should add, we know she's capable of the flowy stuff from her stint on Mandalorian.
    tekbow said:

I should add, we know she's capable of the flowy stuff from her stint on Mandalorian.
    Honestly? I thought that was a bit wooden and lacking energy, too. I was kinda hoping she'd up her game for her own show.

It's not ruined the episodes for me, though, it'd just be better if...well, you see what I mean. Her acting's on point for the character, I just wish we got that and the physical chops.
    <space for hire>
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    edited August 2023
    I like the cat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    I was suprised to see how tiny Rosario Dawson is compared with everyone else.  In my head she's an Amazonian ! :/

Ok so far, but not grabbed me like Andor or Mandalorian.

Cat thing is good.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    I was suprised to see how tiny Rosario Dawson is compared with everyone else.  In my head she's an Amazonian ! :/

Ok so far, but not grabbed me like Andor or Mandalorian.

Cat thing is good.

Yes! The bit were she was standing next too Elizabeth Winstead
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    I am saving this up and I will enjoy it for what it is. Same as Obi Wan and the Mandalorian. I don't expect perfection and I am not a Star Wars Fan Boi.

I just try to suspend disbelief and enjoy things. 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    WezV said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. 'Twin Suns' being, in particular, some of the most cinematic TV ive watched. Let alone the best of SW.
    However, to counter that there is certainly filler. As evidenced by 'Legends of the Lasat' and 'Iron Squadron'.

Im rather looking forward to Ahsoka.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Bless you!
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 560
    T'was great. As a fan of Rebels I think they've done a fantastic job of bringing the characters and locations in to live action. Was sad knowing that Ray Stevenson isn't going to be around to make any more... his presence was great. It's been a few years since I've seen Clone Wars and Rebels but it definitely helped in being more familiar with the storyline. I did have to watch a bit of a recap video afterwards though just to remind myself of certain things. Might be useful for others that haven't seen Rebels or need a refresher:

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    So when is this set - between Episode II and III?

i don’t understand how she was Anakin’s Palawan?  Anakin was never allowed to be a master Jedi before he went off on his strop, so he was still a padawan of ObiWan?  
    Me so confused.