Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Looks like Marshall have a new amp coming out this Friday - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Looks like Marshall have a new amp coming out this Friday

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    p90fool said:
    Is it just me, or does any one else strongly dislike the aesthetics of these? The "coffin" logo is especially dreadful.
    That's what the very first Marshalls looked like, it's not just a random styling exercise. 
    Someone should go back and tell them
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I get that they're a call back to the first Marshalls, but they still look rubbish. 

Tbh I would happily buy the SV20H except I know it's still going to be stupidly loud in the real world and I can't be arsed with buying amps I know I'll need attenuators for before I even start. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90fool said:
    Is it just me, or does any one else strongly dislike the aesthetics of these? The "coffin" logo is especially dreadful.
    That's what the very first Marshalls looked like, it's not just a random styling exercise. 
    I know. And they looked awful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    p90fool said:
    I know. And they looked awful.
    I don't disagree, and they obviously changed to the classic Marshall look for a reason, but I guess it's like snakehead Teles - it lets your peers know you're "in the know".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    I think I'd go for a small Friedman combo over one of these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    p90fool said:

I don't disagree, and they obviously changed to the classic Marshall look for a reason, but I guess it's like snakehead Teles - it lets your peers know you're "in the know".
    Except that snakehead Teles look like someone put a DIY neck on it.

With the original JTM45s, the DIY look doesn't really show until you open it up and look at the chassis...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 123
    My decades-long hunt for a great sounding, flexible Marshall-style amp which covers NMV, MV and hot-rodded settings ended with a Brunetti Pleximan. It's also portable, sounds excellent on the 5W setting, takes pedals well and is a joy to play... as is my Laney LA30BL. I can't recommend them highly enough. I briefly owned an SV20 and SC20 and was disappointed by both, but each to their own...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860

My new setup, as of two days prior to the launch of this one. Wouldn’t swap it, but I sure do love a JTM45. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited August 2023
    RiftAmps said:
    Someone pointed out to me that this sounds very much like a HRD and now that's all I can hear when I watch the demos.
    No-one told me that but I definitely thought, "That sounds pretty Fendery" when I first heard it. 

There's quite an interesting video on Youtube where Johan Segeborn puts KT66s into the SV20H... it made it sound quite a bit more Fendery I thought (though not as Fendery as the JTM).

yeah I don't like that either...that said, if they did my preference it'd look exactly like the SV20. 
    I can't quite decide if I like it or not (though I fear I'm liking it more the more I see it!), but the only better idea I can come up with is the SV20 look like you said. And as @ICBM said, they probably don't want it to look exactly the same for marketing etc. reasons.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Personally, i like the look.  But all the other Studios have had the Design Store treatment, so there will probably be alternative finishes if it doesn't appeal.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Personally, i like the look.  But all the other Studios have had the Design Store treatment, so there will probably be alternative finishes if it doesn't appeal.
    Good point. Once they're released this current version will look much better by comparison!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Dave_Mc said:

There's quite an interesting video on Youtube where Johan Segeborn puts KT66s into the SV20H... it made it sound quite a bit more Fendery I thought (though not as Fendery as the JTM).

Johan Segeborn is great, I've become addicted to his channel. Learned quite a bit about the early Marshall lineage and associated sounds, plus you could listen to him talk all day long. 

I do fear for his hearing (and neighbours) though :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    randella said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Johan Segeborn is great, I've become addicted to his channel. Learned quite a bit about the early Marshall lineage and associated sounds, plus you could listen to him talk all day long. 

I do fear for his hearing (and neighbours) though :lol:
    Yeah. I like his comparison vids, he seems to do the best (or at least most comprehensive) comparison videos. There are plenty of vids of someone comparing, say, two different speakers, but not so many of someone comparing about 15 different ones! (Especially 15 different takes on the same style of speaker!)
  • The head + 2x12 cabinet is a prize on Guitar Gear Giveaway, to be drawn on 14th August. Tickets £2.99 each. I've entered.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Toms a fan 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    Everyone’s a fan I bet that gets a free one.  And it seems like everyone has got a free one that makes a YouTube video.  

I haven’t heard one yet but was in sixty sounds when they came out and asked to
    hear one and I got told I can’t hear it because its
    a review unit Marshall sent them and they haven’t done a video yet…..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Th4fonz said:
    Everyone’s a fan I bet that gets a free one.  And it seems like everyone has got a free one that makes a YouTube video.  

I was in there as well and they were a bit weird about it - kept referring to it as a “prototype”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Th4fonz said:

I always wondered if that was a real shop or just a hangout for Insta 60s cosplayers…they have loads of stuff on their Insta and very little of it seems to be listed on their store website. 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    I think 66 Sounds is a real shop, for real people with real money.

They took one look at me the boy standing at the door, thought "pair of Squier players" and pretended they hadn't seen us.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    Th4fonz said:

I always wondered if that was a real shop or just a hangout for Insta 60s cosplayers…they have loads of stuff on their Insta and very little of it seems to be listed on their store website. 
    Then the day after they post their ig clip playing it and to come in the shop and check them out…. Makes no sense to me.  Don’t have stuff on the shop floor if it isn’t useable.