Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Looks like Marshall have a new amp coming out this Friday - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Looks like Marshall have a new amp coming out this Friday

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited July 2023
    It ain’t a spare for my late 70’s JMP Master Lead II… pass.

Is it me, or does it sound less that stellar in the various demos?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • https://youtu.be/VAibmd4-cMY

Struck me as a decent demo of it actually. A telecaster was a good choice to illustrate the journey through a pretty bright sound into filling out by jumping then onto returning some poke with presence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    It’s a nice sounding amp, though I wouldn’t say it sounds particularly close to a JTM45 to my ear. Doesn’t seem to have the fullness, and the break-up characteristics are different to me - somehow loses too much note definition. 
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 506
    If they had put this new Studio JTM circuit inside a MkII Origin OR120H with a single input & a tilt knob you would never guess it's 'based' on a vintage JTM.
    When will they wake up & install a master volume on the rear panel, like I did to a 1959HW Super Lead.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    The Pete Thorn demo is the best I’ve seen. 

If I didn’t have a vintage Marshall stack I would be a buyer I think. 
  • Johnny333Johnny333 Frets: 159

When will they wake up & install a master volume on the rear panel, like I did to a 1959HW Super Lead.

Couldn't agree more!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Pete Thorn's demo is awesome, sounds great with all his guitars. JTMs in general seem better with singlecoils & P90s to me, humbuckers get too wooly and muddy unless they're very clear/bright or use a treble booster with it. I can't seem to get a usable sound for me but I'm more of a JMP/800/Jubilee player!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The Thomann demo sounds great. You have to get past the YOUTUBE!ENTHUSIASM! but they show the amp really well. Sounds a bunch better to me with the 2x12 
  • Waiting for the first SV20/ST20 comparison vids - I’d definitely use an attenuator with one of these but I’m also very interested to know which would handle pedals better, what the respective bright cap sizes are etc 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    rze99 said:
    The Pete Thorn demo is the best I’ve seen. 

If I didn’t have a vintage Marshall stack I would be a buyer I think. 
    Anyone have any idea what the LP shaped guitar he plays with no selector switch is?

Discoloured fretboard markers and double white HBs make me think Japanese 80s?  Greco?
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 861
    It’s a Scala Underdog @Ddigger ;
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    It’s a Scala Underdog @Ddigger ;
    Never heard of it, but I'll do some digging!

Thanks.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Are those Marshall amps,in general,as heavy as they look?
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    nope
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • What’s the difference between this and the SV20H other than the power amp tubes?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    What’s the difference between this and the SV20H other than the power amp tubes?
    There should be quite a few circuit differences as well, if they’ve done it right. The JTM45 is much less evolved into the bright, aggressive Marshall JMP Lead model tone - essentially it’s the Bass model, with different power valves, valve rectifier (which they may or may not have simulated), different OT ratios and a lot more negative feedback. It’s much warmer, fuller and more compressed than the JMP.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    I don't need one of these, but I want one of these. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 214
    I'm very interested - but want to play it in person. Had a JTM for years and can still hear the sound in my head.
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    I'll stick my neck out and say it's a nice looking thing. There's deffo a market for them I reckon.

I haven't the space for a 2203 JMP/JCM800 plus cab so I've made do for now with a new DSL combo. It'll be the same with this - if it does a reasonable facsimile of a JTM45, it's surely a winner for those who love that sound but haven't the room, cash, or marital tolerance to get a real JTM45 or Bassman reissue into the house. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    ICBM said:
    What’s the difference between this and the SV20H other than the power amp tubes?
    There should be quite a few circuit differences as well, if they’ve done it right. The JTM45 is much less evolved into the bright, aggressive Marshall JMP Lead model tone - essentially it’s the Bass model, with different power valves, valve rectifier (which they may or may not have simulated), different OT ratios and a lot more negative feedback. It’s much warmer, fuller and more compressed than the JMP.

The JTM was based on a tweed Bassman right?  A few modern(ish) amps favoured in the more traditional side of metal (ie bands that sound like Sabbath) use Bassman style circuits.

This new JTM amp sounds great, I think it would make a perfect combination to play Sabbath riffs with. 
    earwighoney said:

The JTM was based on a tweed Bassman right?
    Yes, a direct copy of the 5F6-A but with a different transformer ratio (for a 16-ohm output instead of 2-ohm).

earwighoney said:

A few modern(ish) amps favoured in the more traditional side of metal (ie bands that sound like Sabbath) use Bassman style circuits.
    That's because the classic Iommi amp is the Laney Supergroup, which is effectively a Marshall Super Bass copy (although again with different transformers, and doesn't sound quite the same), and the Super Bass is not far from a high-powered JTM45... so still 5F6-A derived.

This new JTM amp sounds great, I think it would make a perfect combination to play Sabbath riffs with. 
    If you want a low-power Sabbath sound, get a Laney LA30BL - it nails it dead on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited August 2023
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

The JTM was based on a tweed Bassman right?
    Yes, a direct copy of the 5F6-A but with a different transformer ratio (for a 16-ohm output instead of 2-ohm).
    That's what I thought.

From the MusicRadar review https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/marshall-studio-jtm-st20h-20w-head-and-st212-cab-review

"It can't be understated just how much of an impact Jim Marshall's JTM tube amp had on the emerging world of rock 'n' roll - with the "coffin logo" version from 1964 being seen as the holy grail by many players. Yes, the original may have been inspired by the beloved Fender 5F6-A Bassman, but the JTM was a different breed altogether - thanks in part to the use of British KT66 output and ECC83 preamp valves. This new class of amplifier delivered a tone and power that players of the day had never experienced and well, the rest is history. "

Hmmm. So a (more or less) straight clone of an already-existing amp produced a tone which no-one alive at that time had experienced. Or the newer, more modified version with KT66s did, I guess. Except this low power version is a copy of the original clone with 5881s, not the slightly newer-less-cloney KT66 one.

Who writes this crap? Does no-one check it? Even if you didn't check anything else, reading through that single review/article once would tell you something doesn't add up.

I mean I dare say it sounds great (and darned if I don't want one regardless... well, I'd probably get one of the other Studio ones first if I ever get round to it, but still), but come on.

(Can this new one take KT66s out of interest?)

EDIT: Might be best to ignore this... I had a migraine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! 
    :s =)  
    Dave_Mc said:

Hmmm. So a (more or less) straight clone of an already-existing amp produced a tone which no-one alive at that time had experienced. Or the newer, more modified version with KT66s did, I guess.
    The different output impedance makes a big difference, because Marshall - Ken Bran and Dudley Craven - didn't correctly compensate for the much higher output voltage (the OT turns ratio is the square root of the impedance ratio, so 2.83 times higher), they just copied the circuit values exactly... the result is that the JTM45 has almost three times the negative feedback of the Bassman, and a very different overdriven sound.

The other huge difference is that the Bassman uses four 10" Jensens wired in parallel in a lightweight open-back pine cabinet with a floating baffle, and the Marshall uses four 12" Celestions wired parallel-series in a heavy closed-back ply cabinet with a firmly-braced baffle. The cabinet was actually all Jim Marshall's work and probably even more important than the OT ratio.

Both these are more important than the 5881/KT66 difference and the 12AX7/ECC83 *non*-difference - there isn't any, other than the minor difference between valve brands, 12AX7 and ECC83 are just the US and UK designations.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    ICBM said:
    If you want a low-power Sabbath sound, get a Laney LA30BL - it nails it dead on.
    Can't get enough of mine. My favourite amp ever
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Might be looking to trade my big JTM 45 for something more modern. I have a lot of four hole amps
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited August 2023
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Hmmm. So a (more or less) straight clone of an already-existing amp produced a tone which no-one alive at that time had experienced. Or the newer, more modified version with KT66s did, I guess.
    The different output impedance makes a big difference, because Marshall - Ken Bran and Dudley Craven - didn't correctly compensate for the much higher output voltage (the OT turns ratio is the square root of the impedance ratio, so 2.83 times higher), they just copied the circuit values exactly... the result is that the JTM45 has almost three times the negative feedback of the Bassman, and a very different overdriven sound.

The other huge difference is that the Bassman uses four 10" Jensens wired in parallel in a lightweight open-back pine cabinet with a floating baffle, and the Marshall uses four 12" Celestions wired parallel-series in a heavy closed-back ply cabinet with a firmly-braced baffle. The cabinet was actually all Jim Marshall's work and probably even more important than the OT ratio.

Both these are more important than the 5881/KT66 difference and the 12AX7/ECC83 *non*-difference - there isn't any, other than the minor difference between valve brands, 12AX7 and ECC83 are just the US and UK designations.
    Yeah I wondered that about the 12ax7 versus ecc83, I always thought they were basically exactly the same. But I didn't say that in case I was wrong. So I didn't say the bit I was right about and did say the bit I was wrong about, lol.

I'm sure I've seen that about the negative feedback before (probably posted by you, lol). But I forgot!

Yeah good point about the speakers/cab. I do know that bit, lol.

s  

EDIT: Not sure what I was thinking when I posted... can I blame it on a migraine? Anyone who's paid any attention to my silly posts over the years might be tempted to think I get a lot of migraines...  :s =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Is it just me, or does any one else strongly dislike the aesthetics of these? The "coffin" logo is especially dreadful.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    tFB Trader
    Someone pointed out to me that this sounds very much like a HRD and now that's all I can hear when I watch the demos.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Is it just me, or does any one else strongly dislike the aesthetics of these? The "coffin" logo is especially dreadful.
    yeah I don't like that either...that said, if they did my preference it'd look exactly like the SV20. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Is it just me, or does any one else strongly dislike the aesthetics of these? The "coffin" logo is especially dreadful.
    That's what the very first Marshalls looked like, it's not just a random styling exercise.