Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Looks like Marshall have a new amp coming out this Friday - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Looks like Marshall have a new amp coming out this Friday

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Am I the only one thinking the 2-tone is really ugly? 

Also 20W is still really fucking loud, which is a shame. 

Give me a Tonemaster version... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752

A Tonemaster is s generic powered active cabinet, you can very easily tap into the input of the power amp and use your Tonemaster with a Marshall model from a Pod Go or similar, you're not stuck with only using it for Fender sounds .. you can completely bypass all the Fender DSP. 
    I expect a lot of people have done this as it's a very obvious thing to do. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Danny1969 said:

A Tonemaster is s generic powered active cabinet, you can very easily tap into the input of the power amp and use your Tonemaster with a Marshall model from a Pod Go or similar, you're not stuck with only using it for Fender sounds .. you can completely bypass all the Fender DSP. 
    Yeah but that solution isn't a grab & go combo with a simple control set that weighs bugger all and looks exactly like the "real" one... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    breadfan said:
    I can’t get the image to embed but hopefully the link works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itu8t5pqsrx8d17/Photo%2025-07-2023%2C%2009%2037%2017.jpg?dl=0

Here you go:

(That looks awesome, if it's real.)
    FUGLY

I had a proper one (well, a reissue) and it was so smegging loud it was basically impossible to get any proper drive and not go deaf. It was beautiful to look at though, unlike this new monstrosity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I get that it looks like the originals but agree it's fugly. Hopefully they'll do this as a special edition and the later style as the standard model.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Danny1969 said:

Yeah but that solution isn't a grab & go combo with a simple control set that weighs bugger all and looks exactly like the "real" one... 
    Very true in terms of looks. 
    I thought it worth noting though that you can make a Tonemaster sound like a Marshall or an AC30 quite easily if you play other styles of music styles that are less Fender and more British voiced. 

Maybe in years to come the whole front of the amp will be one giant LCD and when you change amps in the modelling the whole visual look of the amp and touchscreen knobs changed as well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    Even though I'm swapping my Bluesbreaker for a JTM45 tomorrow (to save my ever-more-crumbling back) I can well believe I'll want one of these for home. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Is there actually any point to an FX loop in a non-MV amp?
    Yes, if you have effects which need a higher signal level - although with many non-MV amps, some of the distortion still occurs in the preamp (the tone stack driver, with Marshalls) so putting the effect in the loop still gets it after some of the distortion and it will sound different as well.

I like the styling - it’s emulating the very first JTM45s - and I can see why they’ve done it, to differentiate it from the SV20H.

If it has the same features as the other 20-watters I imagine the 5W setting will be the more useful than the loop to most people.

My technical question is…

… does it have an aluminium chassis?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    But why did they choose the Creamback M65, not an Alnico Cream? The originals used an alnico G12 which is basically a Blue without the magnet cover - the Cream sounds very like the Blue but with enough power handling for a 20W+ amp. OK, the Cream is expensive, but I doubt this amp is going to sell based on price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Oooh, these are purdy! 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    The industry's worst kept secret is finally out.

https://marshall.com/amps/products/amps/studio/st20h

Get sharpening your pitchforks lads.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Loads of demos up and I think it looks and sounds rather good. Will be particularly interested to hear what Johan Segeborn makes of it, how it compares to SV20 and the bigger plexis/JTMs etc
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    I love it
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    What is the difference between these and the SV20?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    Interesting to see the combo is a 1x12 - aren`t the studio vintage / classic combos both 1x10?
    The proper photos actually look a lot better than the low res photo leak.
    NelsonP said:
    What is the difference between these and the SV20?
    Presumably the same differences as a Plexi and a JTM45.

The JTM45 is more polite / less brash, more spongy in attack. Warmer overdrive that doesn't take your head off quite so much.

No doubt it will still need to be cranked to buggery to actually get amp drive out of it - like the original.
    Stick a Guv'nor in the front and it should give a great Gary Moore tone.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Isn't valve rectification quite a big part of the JTM formula?

Lewy said:

Good point.

Yes.

Spongy goodness.
    Never really like Marshall’s demos. Here’s a Strat through a JTM, watch me shred
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Sigh . . . No sub £300 valvestate then 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    How much do they cost?
    edited July 2023
    Lewy said:
    Not big. It’s a small part - and the relatively small amount of sag from a GZ34 (which has the least of any rectifier valve) can easily be simulated by a resistor. You could tell the difference if you compare the valve vs the resistor in the same amp, but this amp is different enough from a normal JTM45 in other ways that it becomes a moot point.

Alex2678 said:
    Never really like Marshall’s demos. Here’s a Strat through a JTM, watch me shred
    Given the history of the model’s most famous users, you would expect an SG played like Angus or a Les Paul played like Gary.

Or a Gretsch played like Roy :).

• I’d deffo have one of the heads with an Ironman Mini. Lovely chewy goodness. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    Keiko said:
    How much do they cost?
    about £900 by the looks of EVERY email I've received in the last hour
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Alex2678 said:
    Don't worry there's a dad rock approved Les Paul featured in the demo video too :)
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    Keiko said:
    How much do they cost?
    about £900 by the looks of EVERY email I've received in the last hour
    Not for me then. Wake me up next year when they are selling for more like £600, and there are some more inspiring demo videos around than the andertons yawn fest.
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 295
    Alex2678 said:
    I agree, the official Marshall demo was not right for this amp. 

That said. The Youtube demo's (maybe half a dozen) I've seen don't really seem to do a good job dialling in a classic JTM sound either. 

I feel bad throwing shade, it's likely a great amp and I haven't heard anything that sounded bad - it just doesn't showcase what a typical JTM "should" sound like, given the vintage aesthetic they are going for. 

I still miss my 89' V1 1962 bluesbreaker reissue. Had a slightly bigger cabinet than everything made after 91', allowing for KT66's to fit inside without being hard up against the wood. I had a pair of Scumback Alnico's that were rated at 30w each and suited the amp perfectly. Preamps tubes were NOS British Mullard 12xa7's. Perfection.

It was the ultimate Clapton rig for what I could afford. I think it cost me about £700 to get the amp in that condition and I regret selling it every day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    TTBZ said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Don't worry there's a dad rock approved Les Paul featured in the demo video too
    No problem with the Strat, I meant that surely playing a Strat through a JTM doesn’t bring 80s rock licks to mind! Seems like he always thinks he’s demoing a silver jubilee