Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Glastonbury via armchair 2023 - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot
1101112131416»

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Just watched Sparks while working, ahem, they are great fun aren't they. I love the vampiric piano chap and how he has not changed his persona (or seemingly, his facial expression) for 50 years.  Do we reckon Lana del Ray's hairdresser was late because she was doing the lead singer's syrup?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    My son put the QOTSA set on. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. They are playing where my other son works in November so given a fair wind and poor ticket sales I might go see them. 

Sounds like I need to check out Caroline Polachek as well (although somebody mentioned Karen Carpenter in the same sentence, so I hope that's not to accurate)

Skinny white women who sing. Otherwise nah. I went back to YouTube just to listen to Polachek again and really nah. 
    I'm not averse to that concept in general but yes I think I see what you mean, sometimes singists really appeal for some really specific small reason, and other times they just seem very pleasant but ultimately quite dull. I shall listen with an open mind though as half the stuff I wanted to catch isn't on iplayer so I'll have to make do with what is!

Re QOTSA they are one of those bands for me that I feel like I should enjoy more than I do - theyt tick a lot of the usual boxes I enjoy in a band but without ever really moving me to anything at all. I'll enjoy a well filmed festival set for what it is but I don't ever remember any of the songs afterwards and I don't ever feel compelled to seek it out on Spotify or learn to play any of it. I think it would help if they had a better vocalist (sorry!) as his voice gets on my nerves, and visually it's offputting to see a frontman with an annoying (to me) voice looking like a chap i'd expect to see working at Wickes or something
    He’s no Karen Carpenter. 

My knowledge of QOTSA was hearing a couple of songs that were the aural equivalent of being repeatedly stabbed in the forehead by a boney finger. Over a set they seem to be a lot more dynamic. At one point I was singing along and my son wanted to know how I knew it, “ because it’s a Rolling Stones song.”
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    My son put the QOTSA set on. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. They are playing where my other son works in November so given a fair wind and poor ticket sales I might go see them. 

Sounds like I need to check out Caroline Polachek as well (although somebody mentioned Karen Carpenter in the same sentence, so I hope that's not to accurate)

Skinny white women who sing. Otherwise nah. I went back to YouTube just to listen to Polachek again and really nah. 
    I'm not averse to that concept in general but yes I think I see what you mean, sometimes singists really appeal for some really specific small reason, and other times they just seem very pleasant but ultimately quite dull. I shall listen with an open mind though as half the stuff I wanted to catch isn't on iplayer so I'll have to make do with what is!

Re QOTSA they are one of those bands for me that I feel like I should enjoy more than I do - theyt tick a lot of the usual boxes I enjoy in a band but without ever really moving me to anything at all. I'll enjoy a well filmed festival set for what it is but I don't ever remember any of the songs afterwards and I don't ever feel compelled to seek it out on Spotify or learn to play any of it. I think it would help if they had a better vocalist (sorry!) as his voice gets on my nerves, and visually it's offputting to see a frontman with an annoying (to me) voice looking like a chap i'd expect to see working at Wickes or something
    He’s no Karen Carpenter. 

My knowledge of QOTSA was hearing a couple of songs that were the aural equivalent of being repeatedly stabbed in the forehead by a boney finger. Over a set they seem to be a lot more dynamic. At one point I was singing along and my son wanted to know how I knew it, “ because it’s a Rolling Stones song.”
    I preferred Karen Carpenter on the drums, maybe she could have joined Qotsa in another universe/lifetime. I do find their constant quaver chord bashing quite abrasive in a "repeatedly prodded in the face" kind of way but as you say, more tolerable on a live set where there's more than one volume present
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Gosh, having followed Josh Homme's career for over 30 years (fuck, 30 years, that's gone fast...!), it's really strange to see him described as looking like a chap who works at Wickes!

Hadn't really thought about his voice.  It seems OK to me, but having said that I was much more of a fan of Kyuss than QOTSA, and he wasn't the singer in Kyuss, that job fell to the rather fantastic John Garcia.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

You are thinking of Weyes Blood

She's more like Kate Bush.
    Philly_Q said:
    Gosh, having followed Josh Homme's career for over 30 years (fuck, 30 years, that's gone fast...!), it's really strange to see him described as looking like a chap who works at Wickes!

Hadn't really thought about his voice.  It seems OK to me, but having said that I was much more of a fan of Kyuss than QOTSA, and he wasn't the singer in Kyuss, that job fell to the rather fantastic John Garcia.
    Is Kyuss the only thing Prince wanted as well as your extra time? 

Honestly, it's all opinion and preference isn't it, I like plenty of singers and guitarists who aren't as proficient as Homme, it's just down to your taste and they don't quite do it for me. I'd rather them though than a lot of the other names quoted here :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

You are thinking of Weyes Blood

She's more like Kate Bush.
    I watched the video a few pages back and skipped through the Glastonbury set and it didn't set me alight, and I do like Kate Bush (unlike Carpenter). Each to their own though, as always - I'm not the target audience so not too surprising
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Philly_Q said:

His own voice is very much a Chris Goss vibe.
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:

Yeah, good point. I think there was an influence.  Now there's a band who should be better known, that first Masters of Reality album is still one of my all time favourites.
    Is Kyuss the only thing Prince wanted as well as your extra time? 

I had to think about that before I got it....  :3
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:

Yeah, good point. I think there was an influence.  Now there's a band who should be better known, that first Masters of Reality album is still one of my all time favourites.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited July 2023
    I only got into it cos I went really deep into the production side of things, and it took a while. It's actually a micro/sub genre and she hasn't got any A&R people telling her what to do, so the album ends up being it's own thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Grammy nomination at the end of the year, but it is quite niche and I don't think the target audience is anybody on here, although a few do find some value in the music.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
    Glastonbury.  Two things.  Independent articles saying Axl was shite, because the sound was shit and I probably wouldn't doubt the monitor mix was worse.  The same rag that posted pictures of the Titan sub that were reversed image searched by the US coastguard and proved to be from 2004.  The Scottish lad who has developed Torrets.  He's good and plays well to the formulaic, but he's no ginger bipolar bass/baritone singer from the farming plains who has had a pubic hair transplant and still giving it at 61 and changed the popular music scene single handedly despite his odds.  The other thing, that's three, people moaning about £6.50 a pint.  Do they even drink in pubs anymore?  Place was full of poshos years ago, I'm talking 30 years, these days every member of the audience looks like an advert for private dental care or some sort of '80's holiday magazine.  That is all I have to say on the matter, apart from I wish David Lindley had even toured the East Coast before he died and Chris Holmes should play a more southernly venue, even if I'm the only one there.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8733
    edited July 2023
    Fourth thing, seeing your heroes fail and sing in falsetto only makes me believe in myself more.  Who are the arctic monkeys anyway.  Trough music.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Black Country, New Road.

I'll get my coat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited July 2023
    Litterick said:
    Black Country, New Road.

I'll get my coat.
    They are quite brilliant, both the old and the new versions of the band. A bit eccentric, but in a good way