Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar design elements that make your eye twitch uncomfortably? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar design elements that make your eye twitch uncomfortably?

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    Pickguards on Les Paul's apparently!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Tenebrous said:
    Gold hardware. Almost never looks good, & gold in general just looks tacky to me.

There are some guitars that it looks right on:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    crunchman said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Gold hardware. Almost never looks good, & gold in general just looks tacky to me.

I dunno...it's missing something...perhaps the owner's name inlayed down the fretboard in MoP?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    This clunky thing always annoyed me...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    crunchman said:
    Tenebrous said:

That guitar, in my opinion, is just so unnecessary. 

I don't really like any electric guitar where the body is bigger, and more awkward to play, than is necessary. 

Don't like guitars (generally strats) with only one pickup. Just looks weird. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    crunchman said:
    Tenebrous said:

That guitar, in my opinion, is just so unnecessary. 

I don't really like any electric guitar where the body is bigger, and more awkward to play, than is necessary. 

Don't like guitars (generally strats) with only one pickup. Just looks weird. 
    I prefer the White Falcons that nobody likes with chrome hardware. And that aren't white. Or made by Gretsch.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    The things I find hard to like on guitars are:

• Tiger stripes
    • Sunburst (especially Cherry Sunburst)
    • Gold Plating
    • Soppy inlays 
    • Abalone
    • Metal fronts
    • Tortie pickguards
    • Kluson 6-inline tuners without split posts 
    • Super high output humbuckers 
    • V-necks
    • Floyd Rose Trems
    • Kahler Trems
    • Bigsbys
    • Shred necks
    • Onboard effects
    • Pointy headstocks
    • 24 frets
    • General ponciness

Although that said... if the guitar played amazing, sounded great and 'spoke' to me, I wouldn't rule it out if it featured any/all of the above. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    Offset said:
    Basher said:
    Hmmm....

Telecaster bridges (knuckle-skinning, crude looking things and, yes, I'm sure that's what appeals to Tele players)
    Not unless you get a proper Tele bridge - six block saddles which intonate properly and are nice and smooth on the old mitts.

<takes deep breath, stands back and awaits the hate> 
    or real men get these ;)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    Pickup rings on single coils is another one for me as is most gold hardware

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Gonna get flamed here but 

uncovered humbuckers 

can’t stand them, hate them, always looks cheap and unfinished to me . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212

uncovered humbuckers 

Depends what they're on :-)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader

uncovered humbuckers 

With me it's the opposite ... people pay good money for a pickup, then want me to stuff it into a glorified sardine can ... 
    Madness ... but it pays the rent  :-) 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

uncovered humbuckers 

With me it's the opposite ... people pay good money for a pickup, then want me to stuff it into a glorified sardine can ... 

Indeed.  What's not to like?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

uncovered humbuckers 

I was the opposite, I always thought that covers looked crappy and cheap.

I have warmed to them in my old age though, particularly worn ones. Still don't like really shiny ones.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Acoustic guitars that look the same as every other acoustic guitar from the past 100 years 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    The covered versus uncovered humbuckers question - I think it depends entirely on the guitar.  A "modern" guitar usually looks better with uncovered pickups, covers are mostly for your traditional guitars... but on the other hand a set of zebras on a Les Paul makes it look much less stuffy and conservative.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922

uncovered humbuckers 

Oh no :(

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Foil pickups. Foil is for food, not guitars. They look ridiculous. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    skullfunkerry said:

Exactly... I think that would look even better with an uncovered humbucker, with some combination of black, red or white (not cream!) coils.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Almost agreed about the uncovered bridge humbucker looking better, then I remembered my Squier Showmaster that I fitted with a black plated Wilkinson HB ... now I'm not so sure.

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922
    ICBM said:
    skullfunkerry said:

Exactly... I think that would look even better with an uncovered humbucker, with some combination of black, red or white (not cream!) coils.
    I do agree with that actually, although I think that nickel cover looks cool too...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Offset said:
    Hideous, hideous, hideous.  All of it.

Dean ELite Flame Top Cadillac  Elite 1981 Cherry Sunburst OHSC image 2
    Dean ELite Flame Top Cadillac  Elite 1981 Cherry Sunburst OHSC image 8

They are hideous, but I really like them. I first saw one in Def Leppard's video for Me & My Wine, being played by Steve Clark. Years later I did actually get one:

I think mine was marginally nicer looking. It sounded great, but it was heavier than a forklift truck so I moved it on.

Looks like it could have substituted for your Darts. 
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    edited June 2023
    A recently acquired dislike for me - 22 frets on any "classic" colour/configuration Strat. Completely acceptable on an Aerodyne, a HSS Strat, etc. On an SSS strat in any normal colour...absolutely not.  
    • 7.25 radius
    • 'Vintage' frets (ie, tall and narrow)
    • Truss rods which require you to take the fucking neck off to adjust them
    • Non-locking tuners
    • 3-saddle Tele bridges (and any other bridges that don't intonate properly, come to that)
    • Bigsbys

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    At the start of this thread I was nodding sagely at various opinions, and respecting our individuality.

As time goes on it's more a case of ARE YOU FRIKKIN MAD!?!?!?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    There comes a point in every thread where people start saying things just to get a reaction. I'm joining in. 

Frets. Frets are for losers who can't play in tune. Like having stabilisers on a £4000 carbon fibre bicycle.

Frets. PAH. TISH AND FIE. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    nacnudnai said:
    A recently acquired dislike for me - 22 frets on any "classic" colour/configuration Strat. Completely acceptable on an Aerodyne, a HSS Strat, etc. On an SSS strat in any normal colour...absolutely not.  
    Of course! 24 frets or forget about it.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    nacnudnai said:
    I'm the opposite, I wish I'd ordered mine with a 22nd fret, even though it would be obviously non-vintage.
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    edited June 2023
    carlos said:
    nacnudnai said:
    Of course! 24 frets or forget about it. 
    The more fretboard overhang, the better!

Philly_Q said:
    nacnudnai said:
    I'm the opposite, I wish I'd ordered mine with a 22nd fret, even though it would be obviously non-vintage.
    That's the thing. Functionally, it makes more sense to have 22, and it doesn't effect the position of the neck pickup. But, it just hurts my eyes so much!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Sorry for lateness, am on holibobs. 

Has anyone said old-fashioned Tele control plates with the Volume control too near the switch? Im utterly clueless how Fender has never done a single model with an adjusted plate to fix it even in their most modern models. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires