Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar design elements that make your eye twitch uncomfortably? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar design elements that make your eye twitch uncomfortably?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
I just saw a PRS Modern eagle. Very handsome guitars if you like that sort of thing, but then I saw the pickup selector switch and thought whaaaaaaa!?!??!?! 

Boy does that look so wrong to me. I have a nervous tick just looking at it.

So what bugs you? weird headstocks? ugly shape?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    I love my DGT but I hate the back panels…luckily it’s a black back ;)

Also on PRS, I hate their hard tail bridges (unless it’s a wrapover).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    Jack plates on Strats 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Bird inlays. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Fucking bird fret inlays...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited June 2023
    Angled humbuckers
    Triple humbuckers
    No headstocks

Even that middle single coil on that PRS is bothering me right now. Not only is a middle single coil unusual on a PRS, but it's also not equidistant to the bridge and neck humbuckers. Burn that guitar. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Frets. They take all the skill out of playing. 
    Be seeing you.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    I struggle with head-less guitars.

And some heavily flamed maple tops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Anything that makes a Tele not a Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markarkarkmarkarkark Frets: 137
    edited June 2023
    I think quite a lot of the (otherwise very highly skilled) people who design modern electric guitars don’t have a very finely-tuned sense of aesthetics.

There are definitely some exceptions, but I think the flow of the lines and overall balance in a lot of the classic designs is a cut above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Humbuckers mounted at an angle.

P90s mixed with anything other than more P90s.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Three pickups on a Les Paul Custom.

V shaped guitar bodies.

Reversed (upside down) head stocks on Strats.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Micro switches, particularly when too close together & asymmetric .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Rocker said:
    Three pickups on a Les Paul Custom.
    Yes! good call
    Rocker said:

Reversed (upside down) head stocks on Strats.
    Most definitely no! 
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 456
    edited June 2023
    The jack socket on Strats...this beautiful, organic, curvaceous design and then there's this big chunk of unnecessary ironmongery stuck on the front instead of a side-mounted jack like on the Tele, which would leave the Strat looking so much neater & cooler overall. 

Pickguards on Les Pauls. 

Bigsby 'vibratos' (or 'antituners', as they should be known).

The Gibson Moderne, those ridiculous reverse-V-bodied monstrosities and the Ibanez Fireman. Just....why? 

Chickenhead knobs on anything, anywhere, ever; dunno what it is, they just wind me up.

'Sexy Woman' paint jobs on guitars; like how old are you, 10? 

Guitars where the pickguards are so big that most of the instrument is covered in plastic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    Transparent purple or green bursts over figured maple.

V-shape tailpieces
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    Quilted maple. Hate it for some reason.  Oh and abalone binding. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The Gibson Moderne, those ridiculous reverse-V-bodied monstrosities and the Ibanez Fireman. Just....why? 
    The Gibson Moderne and Futura patent sketches were examples of Ted McCarty's sense of humour. Knowing that business rivals hoped to extract clues about forthcoming Gibson products, Ted thoughtfully provided some … only they were red herrings. 

The Futura, Moderne and "Lightning Bolt" were never built. It is only because Ibanez created copies of these joke designs in the Seventies that punters assumed they must have existed twenty years before.

Eventually, Gibson was brow beaten into building limited edition re-issues of products that never existed to begin with.*

The Ibanez Fireman is just an upside-down Iceman. It exists because Paul Gilbert asked nicely if they would build him a few. It is a safe bet that Gilbert obsessives would buy anything with his name on it.

* Photographs of Futura prototypes exist but not the other two. 
    Be seeing you.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited June 2023
    Pabcrane said:
    I struggle with head-less guitars.

And some heavily flamed maple tops.
    Beat me to it re headless.. They just look so wrong. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Sunburst.

Awful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Penn said:
    Bird inlays. 
    This
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1142
    edited June 2023
    Dean V Headstocks.  Cheesy Airbrush Graphics. Tortoiseshell anything.  Dot inlays on uber expensive guitars. Badly placed strap buttons on guitars prone to neck dive. 3x3 tuners on superstrat headstocks....inline 6 only please and that goes for 7 strings as well. Volume knob too close to bridge humbucker.  Toggle switch between the humbuckers or HSH guitar...something you're gonna hit for sure when playing.
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 456
    The Ibanez Fireman is just an upside-down Iceman. It exists because Paul Gilbert asked nicely if they would build him a few. It is a safe bet that Gilbert obsessives would buy anything with his name on it. 
    I'm a huge fan of Paul's playing (was lucky enough to meet & interview him once, very nice guy) but that guitar is just fuuuuugly. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    * Sunbursts on acoustic guitars. Sunbursts are for Les Pauls. End of story. Stop being a sad wanna-be. If it's not a Les Paul, finish it in natural.

* Fake wooden veneers on carbon-fibre guitars. Dumb idea and it looks awful. Emerald, I am looking at you.

* The dumb double pickguards on some SJ-200s.

* Lack of binding. Not only is the binding an important protective part of the guitar's structure, making a guitar without any binding looks dreadful, like a face with the eyebrows shaved off. Obvious offenders include Cole Clark 1 Series and those cheapskate new Gibson Generation models.

* Those stupid moustache bridges on SJ-200s (and some other models).

* Those tiny Martin pyramid bridges. They look sort-of OK once you get used to them, but I can never really believe that there can be enough glue area on the bottom to make them safe long-term.

* The ugly lack of decoration to properly finish most Martin guitars (such as the D-18)

* The ugly over-decoration on Martin D-45s. (In contrast, apart from being a joy to play and sounding great, the HD-28 is one of the very few Martins which actually looks right.)

* The jarring Sapele headstock veneer on various Maton models such as the SRS-60

* That kitch kangaroo inlay on the Maton Tommy Emmanuel models. Lovely guitars to play or hear,  shame about the look.

* The awful black so-called sunbursts on J-45s and many other ugly things. There is a special hell reserved for anyone who  paints one of these very, very ugly finishes on a nice guitar (or even on a not-so-nice guitar like a J-45).

* While I'm at it, any sort of painted top on a wooden acoustic instrument. (You can paint electrics if you want to.)

* Six-a-side tuners on acoustic guitars. On a Strat, a bass, or a Tele, six-a-side works and looks great. On acoustics it never, ever looks right. Thankfully, for the most part it is only done by Fender and Fender acoustics are crap anyway, so it's no real loss.

* Dark woodstain. Just don't do it. If you don't like the colour of the wood, use different wood. Never, ever stain it. In particular, do not under any circumstances stain mahogany or mahogany-substitute to make it look like rosewood (it doesn't). There is only one crime worse than that, which is staining maple. (But you can stain electrics if you wish. Electrics have different aesthetic rules and - let's face it - they are only electrics so who cares?)

* Trem bars on acoustics. Just say no. (Gretsch rancher with the Bigsby, go and stand in the corner and face the wall.)

* Mini guitars. Most mini acoustics look bad. (And they play like crap too.) Special mention for the shape of the Cole Clark ones which go beyond bad into the truly awful.

* All the crap on the pickguards of Hummingbirds and Doves. 

* Short scales. If you want less than ~640mm, buy a ukulele.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    It's funny, there's quite a few things mentioned which I actually really like in guitars, as I imagine there are more than a few people who like head-less guitars and flamed maple tops. Ahh well, vive la différence!
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    edited June 2023
    Three Humbuckers or P90 pickups guitars.

Banana shape headstocks ala Kramer.

Fenders with reverse headstocks.

Richlite fingerboards.

Melody Maker Headstocks.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    Any tele.  Horrible looking things
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Those horrible big black control panels on the side of some electro acoustics.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Non-functional fingerboard inlays, closely followed by no fingerboard inlays at all. 

Ugly headstocks. 

Tone bars. 

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    scrumhalf said:
    Non-functional fingerboard inlays, closely followed by no fingerboard inlays at all. 

All fingerboard inlays are non-functional.

(If you can see them you are not holding it right.)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802

P90s mixed with anything other than more P90s.
    I agree with that as a literal statement, but one P90 and one different pickup works. If there are two P90s then any third pickup must be a P90. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."