Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar design elements that make your eye twitch uncomfortably? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar design elements that make your eye twitch uncomfortably?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    WezV said:

This is my version.... surprisingly ergonomic 

I certainly don’t get why the Moderne seems to be so disliked as a shape - it’s no uglier than the other two, and more practical than the V. Your headstock really suits it too.

(For me, the Futura headstock is vastly preferable to the Explorer as well, which is why I like the Dean Z.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    carlos said:
    Lots of good ones in this thread already @Nightswan ; @Dontgiveupyourdayjob @Tannin ;
    I'll add anything that is bad design but we've always done it this way and it's traditional. For example, those awful vibrato bridges on some of the offset models. It was a bad design to start with, it's been improved and fixed, yet the manufacturers will still ship them. "You can always change it later to Mastery bridge". That's stupid.

Set up correctly, they are brilliant. The offset trem system is leos greatest achievement imo.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Fingerboard binding on anything else other than high end Gibsons.

James Tyler headstocks

Lacquered fingerboards (including Fender maple!)

F Holes in strats

Black or covered humbuckers  on an S type

Teles when you can see the full base of the bridge pup.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    I thought of another one. Foreshortened 3x3 headstocks where the truss rod cover area is too short and there's not enough material at the top end past the D and G machine heads.

It makes budget LP style guitars look kind of Neanderthal.

• FosterFoster Frets: 1094
    WezV said:

if only they had put a slim V headstock on the Moderne, things may have gone differently.  This is my version.... surprisingly ergonomic 

I like that a LOT
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    The Zakk Wylde SG/V mashup. Hideous. I wouldn't accept one as a present.

The Parker Fly - as cool as a cool thing left overnight in a deep freeze.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    edited June 2023
    I actually quite like little design quirks that differentiate guitars from the predictable mainstream e.g.the James Tyler headstock.

The major turnoffs for me a really, really perfect flamed or quilt maple tops.

Oh, and that plastic cushion they used to rivet on to the back of some Gretsches in the 80s. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Offset said:

I think I'd apply that to any of his Wylde Audio guitars, they're all terrible.  They took his Gibson designs, some of which were pretty ugly in the first place,  and subtly altered them to look much worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

I think I'd apply that to any of his Wylde Audio guitars, they're all terrible.  They took his Gibson designs, some of which were pretty ugly in the first place,  and subtly altered them to look much worse.
    When you think about it, that's no mean achievement.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

True, there's something to be admired in maintaining that level of hideousness.  One day the designer will come up with something attractive and they'll sack him immediately.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Most headstocks that try and copy G or F.
    t
    And the robot tuners that G lost their minds over. 
    And the robot tuners that G lost their minds over. 
    Oh, I'd forgotten robot tuners.  Hard to put into words how much I hate them.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    Any guitar where the lower bout extends further than the top bout, or appears to.Mrs M Yamaha for example

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Offset said:

I read the Zakk comment and Wiz'd. I read the Parker comment and had to un-Wiz. Easy come easy go ...
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 273
    Any guitar where the lower bout extends further than the top bout, or appears to.Mrs M Yamaha for example

I'd give that house room
    It doesn't. But the odd thing is that all guitars with symmetrical double cutaways seem to look like that - it's an optical illusion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922
    axisus said:
    Offset said:

I read the Zakk comment and Wiz'd. I read the Parker comment and had to un-Wiz. Easy come easy go ...
    I'd have double wiz'd it if I could :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    BigPaulie said:
    None.

I've read through everything that people don't like and I would be happy to have any of those features on a guitar as long as it played and sounded good.
    What? Even the Eastman SB headstock?

I've just had a look at them and am not really sure what's not to like about them. Is it because it doesn't look identical to a Gibson headstock?
    It's the fact that it's almost identical to the old Epiphone Headstock that was so reviled.
    edited June 2023
    axisus said:
    Offset said:

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away  ;)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Stupidly complex pickup switching combinations> I used to have an early BC Rich that had more switches than you could shake a stick at ... coil split, internally series or parallel for each pickup yada yada yada. Brilliant till you knocked a switch at a gig and spent a frantic 'half song' trying to work out where the sound you had was at! 

Iddy biddy narrow constipated frets blurggggggh rip em out and put nice big ones in! 

Nail-on combine harvesters ... sorry Floyd Rose trems

Guitars with no position markers ... coz ize fik innit.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Offset said:
    axisus said:
    Offset said:

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away  ;)
    I stopped using that title once the worship dried up.
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

True, there's something to be admired in maintaining that level of hideousness.  One day the designer will come up with something attractive and they'll sack him immediately.
    Just saw this on Reverb.  'Kinell.  It's ugly.

Wylde Audio 4551 Heathen Grail Rawtop Bullseye E-Guitar Zakk Wylde Series image 1
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 100
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

Wylde Audio 4551 Heathen Grail Rawtop Bullseye E-Guitar Zakk Wylde Series image 1

Don't forget Zakk Wylde was a raging alcoholic! ;)

Offset said:

I don’t mind that. I would never want to own it or play it, but I think the design elements work well together.

Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

I think it might be slightly less awful than the singlecut version...  Chuck some abalone on that, though, and there'd be shades of Minarik about it.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    F holes on a Strat, not a fan of wrap over bridges even if they do (apparently) sound better, batwing scratchplates on an SG, huge scratchplates on Teles, the control layout on an awful lot of PRS mine included, tiny cutaways on Gibson 339s, I'm sure that there's more :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    The weird 'Guitar within a guitar ' mixed wood/painted bodies started by Knaggs and now being copied by some others .
    Trying to be too clever and just failing .......they look imbalanced and uncomfortable on the eye.
    Hideous, hideous, hideous.  All of it.

Dean ELite Flame Top Cadillac  Elite 1981 Cherry Sunburst OHSC image 2
    Dean ELite Flame Top Cadillac  Elite 1981 Cherry Sunburst OHSC image 8
    Offset said:

The first person I associated with those Dean Cadillac guitars was Sheron Alton of Canadian hard rockers Toronto:

Toronto Band - The Official
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    Offset said:

Dean ELite Flame Top Cadillac  Elite 1981 Cherry Sunburst OHSC image 8
    That with a proper bridge that doesn't bleed into the control area looks great to me.