Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oh dear, not again Roger... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oh dear, not again Roger...

What's Hot

Comments

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1219
    edited May 2023
    bertie said:
    goldtop said:
    He wasn't dressed as a Nazi.

how would you describe then ?

bearing in the "headline" from the OP was "nazi style"

it wasnt fucking laura ashley that's for sure
    This should be easy to settle - either he was dressed as something or he wasn't.

Dressing 'in the style of' something is not the same as being dressed as that thing.

Pics?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    ‘As’ or ‘in the style of’ feels like a distinction without a difference. The costume Roger wears would be an easy copyright case and that’s the point, we’re supposed to recognise it and the connotations of that regime. 

Whether it’s satire or edgy and making a deep social comment is much more questionable. He’s been performing this same schtick for 40 years now and I can’t see any new ground being broken here. If anything, the longer the song stays the same, the fewer people understand or care what the lyrics are. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Goering's attire was always slightly different from most high ranking Nazis wasn't it - nice cream coloured numbers he used to go for. Must've been hell to wash.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    The wall, the film, and the album, where massive for me as a young teenager. Taking lsd and hash and watching or listening to it was a pivotal experience.
    Haven't really listened to it in about 30 years now though. 
    The wall, the film, and the album, where massive for me as a young teenager. Taking lsd and hash and watching or listening to it was a pivotal experience.
    Play the soundtrack from Wizard of Oz and simultaneously watch Alan Parker's The Wall video without sound and everything synchs up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    goldtop said:
    roberty said:

dressing up like Nazis
    That'll be the difference between "dressing like" and "dressing as". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    tony99 said:
    Play the soundtrack from Wizard of Oz and simultaneously watch Alan Parker's The Wall video without sound and everything synchs up.
    Since I'll never actually do that I'm going to choose to believe it actually does  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Might have been a post in jest but I think it's Dark Side of the Moon that supposedly works as a soundtrack for Wizard of Oz - never tried it myself. Since the movie is longer than the album I'm not sure how that's suppose to work either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    He put the Star of David on the Pig.

He knew exactly what he was doing.
    In the interests of keeping things real.

That wasn't in Germany, or even this decade. It was 2013. For pictures of the pig in Berlin, and some commentary on how this picture has become falsely associated with the current show, see
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    tony99 said:
    Goering's attire was always slightly different from most high ranking Nazis wasn't it - nice cream coloured numbers he used to go for. Must've been hell to wash.
    Dove grey, actually - and yes, difficult to wash...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3027354/How-know-85-000-uniform-really-worn-Nazi-Hermann-Goering-stained-SWEAT.html

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    bertie said:
    goldtop said:

It's authoritarian - same reason he's done The Wall show in mock junta outfits. Similar ways of depicting fascist baddies have appeared in many media. Darth Vader and assorted SW villains were not channeling Laura Ashley either. Star Trek has used similar authoritarian uniforms - and IIRC actual Nazi outfits - as visual cues. 

A bit of basic logic:
    1. Some authoritarians are Nazis
    2. Roger Waters was wearing an authoritarian uniform
    3. Therefore Roger Waters was dressed as a Nazi.
    That some of you get 3 from the combination of 1 and 2 is a failing of your schooldays. Clinging to this is Tucker Carlson-levels of argument.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    Sporky said:
    goldtop said:
    roberty said:

dressing up like Nazis
    That'll be the difference between "dressing like" and "dressing as". 
    I need to give Prince Harry a call, so I can tell the difference.
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 169
    They should lock up those children dressed up as the KKK with sheets over their head around halloween time. Of course they'll claim to be "ghosts...."
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    My understanding is that he is lampooning the nazis. His father was killed by nazis, this is a show, a performance. I don't think the hysterics are needed.

But what's with the West Ham irons on the pig??? 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    tony99 said:
    Prone to skidders too 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tony99 said:
    Prone to skidders too 
    Don't think he was a commando to be fair
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    My understanding is that he is lampooning the nazis. His father was killed by nazis, this is a show, a performance. 
    Indeed. But when performing a show in Germany, and assuming others are right that he's used other styles of fascist-like uniforms, maybe choosing the one that looks most like a Nazi one wasn't a great choice.

There's some over-reaction, but the point could have been made just as well without provoking the response.

Dressing-up-quite-like-a-Nazi isn't far off starting-a-land-war-in-Asia in the list of classic blunders. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    He has good sense and a decent amount of tact. Not.

Remind you of anyone?

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    My understanding is that he is lampooning the nazis. His father was killed by nazis, this is a show, a performance. I don't think the hysterics are needed.

But what's with the West Ham irons on the pig??? 
    Seeing as this thread appears to be largely about what is or isn't "Nazi". It's worth pointing out that his father was killed by German soldiers. Whether they were Nazis or not, well we don't really know. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    maharg101 said:
    He put the Star of David on the Pig.

He knew exactly what he was doing.
    In the interests of keeping things real.

That wasn't in Germany, or even this decade. It was 2013. For pictures of the pig in Berlin, and some commentary on how this picture has become falsely associated with the current show, see

I don't see it matters where it was used.
    Putting a Jewish symbol on a pig was bound to be provocative in most countries apart from maybe Arabic ones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    As I mentioned earlier the Wall was performed in Germany complete with Nazi uniforms and pigs. In Dortmund I think where Hitler often addressed his SS. It's art in context and it's a narrative to how quickly fascists movements can escalate into powerful authority. At the time there were many popular books and stage shows devoted to this topic. The Wave was one of my faves and popular for college kids. 
    In 2014 Waters used Trump and Trump supporters to again illustrate the point if you aren't careful a racist movement could rise to power even in a modern so called leader of the free world country. 

These days we go about things in a different way. I'm old so can't really understand what this fuss is about. It  could mean I get a better seat at the O2 next Wednesday though so every cloud etc  :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    bertie said:
    goldtop said:

https://youtu.be/hn1VxaMEjRU
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Dressing Nazi or Nazi 'style'?

How many fuhrers can dance on the head of a pin?
    To be clear, I know full well that his act is meant to criticise authoritarian fascism, but it is extremely distasteful that he should preach this, to Germans in Germany, while simultaneously parroting russian state propaganda. The whole man can get in the bin. A sanctimonious, hypocritical oaf
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1219
    edited May 2023
    roberty said:
    To be clear, I know full well that his act is meant to criticise authoritarian fascism, but it is extremely distasteful that he should preach this, to Germans in Germany, while simultaneously parroting russian state propaganda. The whole man can get in the bin. A sanctimonious, hypocritical oaf
    So, here's the thing - and I'm not meaning to be confrontational-  this is the real issue, where there should be actual intelligent debate in the media.

Is he simply spouting Russian state propaganda? Let's have that discussed and debunked or upheld rather than running a smear campaign. [Edit as per comment below, thanks] 

You are entitled to your own personal opinion of the man of course!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    steven70 said:
    roberty said:
    So, here's the thing - and I'm not meaning to be confrontational-  this is the real issue, where there should be actual intelligent debate in the media.

Is he simply spouting Russian state propaganda? Let's have that discussed and debunked rather than running a smear campaign.

Debunked or upheld, surely?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited May 2023
    Sporky said:
    My understanding is that he is lampooning the nazis. His father was killed by nazis, this is a show, a performance. 
    Indeed. But when performing a show in Germany, and assuming others are right that he's used other styles of fascist-like uniforms, maybe choosing the one that looks most like a Nazi one wasn't a great choice.

There's some over-reaction, but the point could have been made just as well without provoking the response.

Dressing-up-quite-like-a-Nazi isn't far off starting-a-land-war-in-Asia in the list of classic blunders. 
    I am German, you can't use Nazi imagery in Germany in lots of circumstances as it's against the law. But that doesn't mean that alluding to something to make an artistic point that is rightly AGAINST the Nazis and fascism should be avoided just because of the response of people who don't understand it. Sometimes the artist wants that response to start a conversation!

There are lots of shows and art in Germany that uses imagery that is meant to allude to 30's/40's Germany as part of a performance. And Germans get the same war films that everyone else does, so this kind of thing isn't new really. It's about intention, context and the law. His intentions were against nazism, the context was as part of a performance that he's done many times before, including in Germany, and I doubt he's broken any law. 

So I think it's much ado about nothing really. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 927
    edited May 2023
    I once had a bacon sandwich in the Israeli embassy (they served it).  Does this mean that I am now considered evil?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
      Does this mean that I am now considered evil?
    what do you mean "now" 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    steven70 said:
    roberty said:

Is he simply spouting Russian state propaganda? Let's have that discussed and debunked or upheld rather than running a smear campaign. [Edit as per comment below, thanks] 

In this interview: https://www.pressenza.com/2023/02/roger-waters-questioned-in-depth-about-ukraine-russia-israel-u-s/