Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oh dear, not again Roger... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oh dear, not again Roger...

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
No no no, it's all art & about The Wall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65725902
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I often wear a Nazi Stormtrooper uniform ironically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    "I only said that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Absolute weapons grade bell end.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Sassafras said:
    I often wear a Nazi Stormtrooper uniform ironically.
    Harry? That you mate?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    Not exactly news, is it. He's been doing the same show since 1980.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    He is a bellend, no doubt, but that costume is surely to do with The Wall and the show he puts on, isn't it? Provocative for sure, but don't think it makes him a Nazi.

I love his music, cringe every time I read about him. He's many things but I'm pretty sure far-right neo-nazi isn't one of them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I don't get why it's news, the whole premise of The Wall is widely understood. It's symbolic of building walls between ourselves and reality and the mental repercussions. 
    I have tickets for the o2 in June, not seen him since The Wall Wembly shows in 2016 ish so looking forward to it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Danny1969 said:
    I don't get why it's news…..
    It’s the going to Germany and wearing a Nazi costume bit. Anyone with the smallest shred of awareness would have thought that through and made those gigs an exception surely?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    He's worn that and done all that stuff when playing those songs for a long time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    DefaultM said:
    He's worn that and done all that stuff when playing those songs for a long time. 
    White people blacking up as 'Minstrels' used to be perfectly acceptable too.
    Times change, some people don't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    His problem is that he thinks that he is right about everything, ignoring any possible evidence to the contrary.

His confidence would be admirable were it not for the fact that it's based more on arrogance and ignorance than evidence.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Chuffola said:
    He is a bellend, no doubt, but that costume is surely to do with The Wall and the show he puts on, isn't it? Provocative for sure, but don't think it makes him a Nazi.

I love his music, cringe every time I read about him. He's many things but I'm pretty sure far-right neo-nazi isn't one of them. 
    Absobloodylutely. He has used fascist imagery in red/white/black to make a point many times.

In Germany, too, often with a VERY large audience:

And the point is as relevant now as it was then: it's easy for us to fix our hurts with authoritarianism.

(Ironic that he can't see this with regard to Putin, but on Russia, I'm afraid he's gone full Chomsky.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    dazzajl said:
    Danny1969 said:
    It’s the going to Germany and wearing a Nazi costume bit. Anyone with the smallest shred of awareness would have thought that through and made those gigs an exception surely?
    I get that but Germany is well versed in The Wall ... it was only ever performed by Pink Floyd in Dortmund, LA, NY and London. 
    There's a difference between dressing up as somebody as a person or movement  and dressing up in an act of symbolism. But yeah some people won't know the difference which is a shame.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    dazzajl said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I get that but Germany is well versed in The Wall ... it was only ever performed by Pink Floyd in Dortmund, LA, NY and London. 
    There's a difference between dressing up as somebody as a person or movement  and dressing up in an act of symbolism. But yeah some people won't know the difference which is a shame.
    I don’t think it’s anything to do with knowing the difference. Germany is a very well educated country with a strong cultural understanding and they don’t really need an irrelevant old narcissistic dictator supporter making a point he seems to have lost a grip on at their expense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Wasn't he the guy who tweeted that anyone with an IQ in double digits knew that Putin was not going to invade Ukraine? Looks like he's suffering from an affliction of the elderly - always knowing he's right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    DefaultM said:
    White people blacking up as 'Minstrels' used to be perfectly acceptable too.
    Times change, some people don't.
    The article also says that he points a machine gun at the audience and shoots them. It seems to be trying to make out that he himself is making a statement for the Germany show in particular, when in reality he's just putting on the same show and doing the same actions he has for a long time, with characters from an album that the story of is well known.

I've seen him live and I didn't reckon much to it to be honest, so I'm not some mega fan sticking up for him. I was asked to go to this tour and I said no because I think he's a whiny old man and I knew I'd be bored watching him do the same old shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    He's one of the most irritating people on the planet, and has an enormous ego, but you can't knock the fact that he goes around the World playing to stadiums full of people. I follow Guitarist Dave Kilminster on facebook and he's always posting pix of massive crowds and saying how well it has all gone.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    1)  Didn't need to do it really.
    2)  This sort of thing always backfires somehow whatever the intent.

:s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    How long before The Sound Of Music film is banned for including characters in Nazi uniform? 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    This is akin to not understanding that The Trial is satire and thinking Waters actually wanted anyone with spots put up against the wall and shot.

I disagree with him entirely over Putin and Ukraine and I can’t defend what he’s said about that, but this is just an idiotic attempt to portray him as a Nazi.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Chuffola said:

The facts do not agree with you. He is on the public record as a Putin supporter in favour of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. That is about as Nazi as it gets. Rolf Harris' cell is empty. Put him in there.
  • Danny1969 said:
    I don't get why it's news, the whole premise of The Wall is widely understood. It's symbolic of building walls between ourselves and reality and the mental repercussions. 
    I have tickets for the o2 in June, not seen him since The Wall Wembly shows in 2016 ish so looking forward to it. 
    My bold - I think that’s part of the problem. There are whole generations who have no idea about the concept of the wall, and probably don’t care. All they see is a grumpy old bloke dressed in a vaguely fascist style singing about singling out minorities (in a very specific part of the cycle).

The fact he’s chosen to speak out on some poorly chosen topics, and to defend causes widely considered to be the ‘wrong’ ones hasn't helped his cause either.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    He does say that it was an anti fascist gesture. Possibly ill conceived. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    dazzajl said:
    Short and to the point.  Harsh, but very fair.  Made me chuckle :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    BahHumbug said:
    dazzajl said:
    Short and to the point.  Harsh, but very fair.
    He can be, but in this case I think he’s being - quite possibly deliberately, due to some of his other views - unfairly attacked for what is actually satire *against* what he’s being accused of... and which he’s been doing since the album was originally made, it’s not new.

He certainly does have a massive blind spot over Ukraine (and others, eg Venezuela, Israel), and some of his pronouncements are at best ill-judged if not outright foolish, but I don’t think he sees Putin as a Nazi either - he has the problem of many on the left in particular as seeing everything in black and white and his enemy’s enemy as his friend, so ends up supporting very nasty regimes purely because they’re anti-American. It has to be said that it gives his detractors plenty of ammunition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    All ill advised, but...

Judgement and destruction of people through their own personal 'views' is a very dangerous thing imho. It happens everywhere now, and is a worrying trend.

Free speech and all that - and I have very much have sympathies with the Jewish issues and the Holocaust.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Tannin said:
      Rolf Harris' cell is empty. Put him in there.
    And this is why the internet is not a place for nuanced debate.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Arrogant, entitled, pompous irrelevence courting controversy to promote his tour. What a knobber !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    .^ The size of the crowd shows that he's not irrelevant. And using art/music to satirise authoritarianism should never be irrelevant. If it ever is, we're fucked.

We need satire to be more popular in more parts of the world, so it's very important IMHO that RW can do exactly this in his tour. Just this week, a noodle seller was jailed for 5 years for the slightest-possible satire about a Vietnamese minister who had eaten a gold-encrusted steak: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-26/salt-bae-parody-vietnam-jailed-propaganda-democracy-activist/102395158

If you hate RW, but hate fascism more, then you know what side of this story you should be on.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    He is just barely this side of being a traitor. Anyone supporting Putin jackboots against democracy and freedom from tyranny deserves only our contempt. 

(No, I don't believe you can really lock him up, at least not unless a war is actually declared, and my comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek. But if the war ever spills over into the rest of Europe, he and others like him will need to be interned for the duration. That's not fascism, it's just what nations of all political persuasions do to ensure survival.)