Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Neilybob said:
    Neilybob said:
    Cheers chaps. Front page up date.

@Onlyonbradders @Jonathangus do we have a drummer please? 
    Any update chaps?
    OK, I'm fairly sure Andy will be up for it.  Only trouble is, he's suffering from carpel tunnel, so drumming is off the table atm.  But hopefully October is far enough ahead that it'll be sorted by then.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Neilybob said:
    Neilybob said:
    Cheers chaps. Front page up date.

@Onlyonbradders @Jonathangus do we have a drummer please? 
    Any update chaps?
    OK, I'm fairly sure Andy will be up for it.  Only trouble is, he's suffering from carpel tunnel, so drumming is off the table atm.  But hopefully October is far enough ahead that it'll be sorted by then.
    Sorry to hear this, doesn’t sound like much fun. Hope he makes a recovery ok 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Im happy to take on a few more drum parts this time if needed. But want as much notice as possible on which songs as will take me a fair bit of time to get them notated out and learnt to a acceptable level.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    Neilybob said:
    So guys what songs do we want to play? 

@stratman3142 do you want to start a song list spreadsheet?
    I'm happy to do the same ones I suggested last time so people don't have to learn yet more after my non-appearance! :)
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    Surely you've cracked Rise by now @Vibetronic :wink: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    @fastonebaz you expressed a passing interest at the last jam. Are you a possible for this jam?

It's not a competition.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited June 2023
    hmmm  something up-beat I think (and old )   and one where its all hands on deck/sharing parts ? (as much as can be)

off the top of me swede

Tulane (Steve Gibbons version) ??
    La Grange ?  (can share /improv the "two" solos ?)

was going to suggest Skynyrd version of Call Me The Breeze, but possibly too keys/brass centric ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Vibetronic said:

I'm happy to do the same ones I suggested last time so people don't have to learn yet more after my non-appearance!

I'm not sure whether you suggested all of these, but you were down for lead guitar on the following songs just before you had to drop out.

Die Laughing (Therapy)
    Talk Dirty To Me (Poison)
    Dr Feelgood (Motley Crue)
    Girls Girls Girls (Motley Crue)
    Symphony Of Destruction (Megadeath)
    I Believe In A Thing Called Love (Darkness)

It's not a competition.
    @fastonebaz you expressed a passing interest at the last jam. Are you a possible for this jam?

I'm not sure yet. 
    Just for reference only, here's a list of the songs and roles for the last jam in February 2023. But I'll start a fresh list shortly including the suggestions from @bertie ;

We didn't end up playing Dr Feelgood and Girls Girls Girls owing to lack of lead guitar, but we can put those in if @Vibetronic is up for it and we can fill the other roles. Also, it needs someone of his calibre to play lead on Symphony of Destruction to save everyone from hearing me murder it :)

https://i.imgur.com/N0wsrd3.png

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Vibetronic said:

I'm happy to do the same ones I suggested last time so people don't have to learn yet more after my non-appearance!

I'm not sure whether you suggested all of these, but you were down for lead guitar on the following songs just before you had to drop out.

Die Laughing (Therapy)
    Talk Dirty To Me (Poison)
    Dr Feelgood (Motley Crue)
    Girls Girls Girls (Motley Crue)
    Symphony Of Destruction (Megadeath)
    I Believe In A Thing Called Love (Darkness)

Happy to go with those. And I’m sure you did a fine job on the Megadeth solo last time. I don’t play it like the recording anyway (very *very* roughly the same but no way note for note!)

I'm not sure yet. 
    Ah you ought to come if you can. We could have a few epic shredfests and be heroes (for an afternoon, and strictly in our own minds). 
    bertie said:
    hmmm  something up-beat I think (and old )   and one where its all hands on deck/sharing parts ? (as much as can be)

off the top of me swede

Tulane (Steve Gibbons version) ??
    La Grange ?  (can share /improv the "two" solos ?)

was going to suggest Skynyrd version of Call Me The Breeze, but possibly too keys/brass centric ? 
    What role(s) do you want on those three songs? I assume lead guitar, but do you want to do vocals as well?

I've had a listen to 'Call Me The Breeze' and I reckon the keyboard solo could be guitar instead. Also, the brass riffs could be done on guitar, which I'd be up for doing, unless I end up playing bass on that one.

We'll probably end up as 'all hands on deck' as you say, but it's good to list who's in the key roles so we know we've that we've got sufficient roles to get through the song.

It's not a competition.

I'm not sure yet. 
    Ah you ought to come if you can. We could have a few epic shredfests and be heroes (for an afternoon, and strictly in our own minds). 
    In my mind I'm always playing to 20,000 people on a huge stage, sadly though its usually just 12 people down the Dog n Duck :lol: 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just for reference only, here's a list of the songs and roles for the last jam in February 2023. But I'll start a fresh list shortly including the suggestions from @bertie ;

Any joy yet? 
    Neilybob said:

Any joy yet? 

OK I'll try to post a list (for starters) soon. Are there any more suggestions for songs and the roles people want?

It's not a competition.
    edited June 2023
    Here's a list, just to kick things off.

I've included stuff from the previous jam that @Vibetronic was down to play, suggestions from Bertie and three suggestions from me.

Please provide more suggestions and roles you'd like to fill. You can pick a role that's already taken, because we can do multiple runs throughs or shuffle roles around.

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    As a starter im happy to redo previous song parts - so 
    I'll drum on "Lets Dance" and "Hard to Handle" (and sing/play rhythm on H2H if a second runthough is done)
    Sing on "Die Laughing" (and play rhythm if needed).
    Sing on "Talk Dirty" (and play rhythm and solo if needed).

Will check out what others are new that I can drum over the weekend (assuming Andy can still do those he drummed on last time)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I think Andy's wrist is gradually improving.  Assuming he can make it, he's expressed an interest in doing For Whom the Bell Tolls or Hell's Bells.

(Really, he just wants an excuse to bring his new cymbal.)

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'll do vocals and backup guitar on Megadeth and Darkness
    edited June 2023
    I can drum "Call me the breeze" and Tulane - not too tricky.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited June 2023
    I think Andy's wrist is gradually improving.  Assuming he can make it, he's expressed an interest in doing For Whom the Bell Tolls or Hell's Bells.

(Really, he just wants an excuse to bring his new cymbal.)
    That's great to hear he is on the mend. 

Two stonking tracks!!! Happy play both of those. 
    edited June 2023
    There's an updated list at the end of this post.

Again, a reminder that the focus is one getting a full line up for songs, so we can get through them. We can chop and change roles as much as we like after that for multiple run throughs.

Working back though the previous posts I've made the following updates. Let me know if I've missed (or misunderstood) anything.

Added
    @mrkb on drums for 'Let's Dance' and 'Hard To Handle'
    @mrkb on vocals and 2nd guitar on 'Hard To Handle' (2nd run through)
    @mrkb on vocals and 2nd guitar on Die Laughing
    @mrkb on vocals and 2nd guitar on 'Talk Dirty'
    @mrkb on vocals and lead guitar on 'Talk Dirty' (2nd run through)

Added
    'For Whom The Bell Tolls' and 'Hell's Bells', as suggested by onlyonebradders
    I've put the key as Em for 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' but it seems like they detune a semitone in live clips.

Added
    @roberty on vocals and 2nd guitar for 'Symphony Of Destruction' and 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'

Added
    @mrkb on drums for 'Call Me The Breeze' and 'Tulane'

Added
    @Neilybob on lead guitar for 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' and 'Hell's Bells'

It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Rhythm on Talk Dirty and Vocals if we want to add another lineup.
      Vocals and Rhythm on Hard To Handle .
    edited June 2023
    bobblehat said:
    Rhythm on Talk Dirty and Vocals if we want to add another lineup.
      Vocals and Rhythm on Hard To Handle .

OK, I've updated the sonlg list again.

We just need a drummer for Die Laughing and Talk Dirty, to complete the lineup.

Also, we just need a bass player for Hard To Handle, to complete the lineup.

I've put 'Anyone' down for the Lead guitar on the 2nd run through of Hard To Handle, as I'm sure there will be a few that might be up for it.

Again, (to repeat myself incessantly ) we can chop and change roles as much as we like, once we have a full lineup.

It's not a competition.
    "We just need a drummer for Die Laughing and Talk Dirty to complete the lineup." - we did those both last time an @Onlyonebradders played drums so shoudl already know those (assuming hes fit).
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited June 2023
    mrkb said:
    "We just need a drummer for Die Laughing and Talk Dirty to complete the lineup." - we did those both last time an @Onlyonebradders played drums so shoudl already know those (assuming hes fit).
    Should I put @onlyonebradders down with a question mark? What do you think @Jonathangus?

Do we know if @mart is up for bass on anything this time?

It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:
    Should I put @onlyonebradders down with a question mark? What do you think @Jonathangus?

Seems reasonable.  It's four months away, so fingers crossed.

edited June 2023
    mrkb said:

OK I've taken the liberty of putting @onlyonebradders down on drums for songs he played on (or agreed to play on) previously. Still to be fully confirmed, hence the question mark against his name.

So, all being well, we have a full lineup for Die Laughing and Talk Dirty To Me. But others can still add their names for multiple run throughs.

The following songs are just short of one role:
    Vocals for 'Dr Feelgood' and 'Girls Girls Girls'
    Bass for 'Symphony Of Destruction',  'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' and 'Hard To Handle'

In particular, we're short of bass player roles and vocalist roles.

It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:

OK I've taken the liberty of putting @onlyonebradders down on drums for songs he played on (or agreed to play on) previously. Still to be fully confirmed, hence the question mark against his name.

So, all being well, we have a full lineup for Die Laughing and Talk Dirty To Me. But others can still add their names for multiple run throughs.

The following songs are just short of one role:
    Vocals for 'Dr Feelgood' and 'Girls Girls Girls'
    Bass for 'Symphony Of Destruction',  'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' and 'Hard To Handle'

In particular, we're short of bass player roles and vocalist roles.

https://i.imgur.com/r8jBXNM.png

I can't do vocals for sh&t but I can play basic bass (though I need get my bass fixed). 

Put me down for Hard to Handle and I Believe in a thing called love on Bass.