Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tonemaster hankering (now successfully hankered) - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tonemaster hankering (now successfully hankered)

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Casting my mind back to when I heard newi playing his Twin one I remember it was a lovely room-filling sound - open back 2x12 will do that 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 218
    I am in Nashville watching bands all night and one of the best guitar tones I heard was a deluxe reverb tone master. I couldn’t see what pedals were being used but he had a few. Sound was really good in a band mix through PA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    sw67 said:
    I am in Nashville watching bands all night and one of the best guitar tones I heard was a deluxe reverb tone master. I couldn’t see what pedals were being used but he had a few. Sound was really good in a band mix through PA
    I gigged my TMDR with a HX Effects and also with individual pedals and it took either option very well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    I have the same hankering for the Princeton. I only play at home. I prefer to plug in and play. Never gotten into pedals, too much faffing about. On paper the Princeton looks like the perfect amp for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I suspect being able to play a Blonde next to a regular TMDR is going to be nigh on impossible 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    I saw John Bohlinger of Rig Rundown playing when I was on holiday. He was using a Blonde Twin Reverb Tonemaster. I have both a twin and deluxe valve version but after seeing both in a live situation I would consider the tonemaster. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    sw67 said:
    I saw John Bohlinger of Rig Rundown playing when I was on holiday. He was using a Blonde Twin Reverb Tonemaster. I have both a twin and deluxe valve version but after seeing both in a live situation I would consider the tonemaster. 
    Love that guys playing. How was the gig ?
    edited May 2023
    sw67 said:
    Probably the best band i saw in Nashville - made everything look easy and had a great sound.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Oh man I bet that was awesome! Bohlinger is a monster player, which obv doesn't come across in Rig Rundowns but he's worked with everybody and done a shitload of music director roles for various major productions in Nashville. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    sw67 said:
    sw67 said:
    Probably the best band i saw in Nashville - made everything look easy and had a great sound.

Awesome , very jealous 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    I had a Tonemaster Twin Blonde. It sounded great apart from it didn’t like certain gain pedals. It loved Tube screamers & Rat type distortions. MIAB type pedals it struggled with. 

If anything. The Fender Champion 100 might be just as good when dialled in. 
    jeztone2 said:
    I had a Tonemaster Twin Blonde. It sounded great apart from it didn’t like certain gain pedals. It loved Tube screamers & Rat type distortions. MIAB type pedals it struggled with. 

If anything. The Fender Champion 100 might be just as good when dialled in. 
    So.. just like a Fender Twin?
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    It’s been a while since I played a real Fender Twin. It was impressive. Just not the amp for me. The Fender ML212 seems to be better with pedals. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    The Fender Twin I use has a fantastic dirt channel that sounds like a Marshall, I used it in a Thin Lizzy tribute for a while. It's a 94 I think 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • My TMDR just about ended my amp gas. I still have a 1974x that I use now and then as a guilty pleasure, but majority of time is the TMDR. The only way I'd currently part with it involves Fender doing a Tonemaster 6g3 or 5e3.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited May 2023
    TimmyO said:

I've heard a couple of good things about the Award Session amps but there's no way I'd buy one blind (deaf?) - it may well be my loss but I can't see me going that route. 
    Mine arrived about a week ago. My first thoughts…

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/248357/nad-award-session-5e3-extra#
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    I’m still enjoying my TM Princeton. I’ve not gigged it yet but have had a couple of rehearsals and it was great. I had it on around 5 last week with a drummer and used a KOT clone for some extra drive. It coped easily and sounded really good.
    Tell me it's a bad idea to just blind order a TMDR Blonde 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    TimmyO said:
    It's a bad idea to just blind order a TMDR Blonde.

Let me know when it arrives though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    OP - where are you based.  If near me, you are more than welcome to give mine an extended test.  I'm in York.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    OP - where are you based.  If near me, you are more than welcome to give mine an extended test.  I'm in York.
    Swindon - with occasional flits to Birmingham - appreciate the offer though - thanks! 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    TimmyO said:
    Terrible idea, you want the black one that’s a good price that I have in the classifieds.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    TimmyO said:
    Terrible idea, you want the black one that’s a good price that I have in the classifieds.
    ... and then load the Blonde firmware?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Keefy said:
    TimmyO said:
    ... and then load the Blonde firmware?
    I actually took this route. Started with black, was pleasantly surprised by it having never really loved DRs before (because didn’t turn them up that much!) got around to fiddling firmware wise with the different combinations, went and bought the creamback after and swapped it. 
    I have the black one and did the reverb update but nothing else. 

Somehow a Celestion in a black panel Fender just feels wrong
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    There’s a blonde DR not too far away from you in Chippenham on FB 
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/114610674958750/
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    I’m still enjoying my TM Princeton. I’ve not gigged it yet but have had a couple of rehearsals and it was great. I had it on around 5 last week with a drummer and used a KOT clone for some extra drive. It coped easily and sounded really good.
    So the Princeton, at 50% volume, is doing the job in a band context? Do you mind me asking what the setup and music genre was, for context? That's interesting though, the Princeton looks extremely portable - I just hadn't thought it could do band levels.
  • BlobBlob Frets: 7
    In the blues just did a video on using the Princeton with a band https://youtu.be/Hgz1HJ4gnJs
    willo said:
    So the Princeton, at 50% volume, is doing the job in a band context? Do you mind me asking what the setup and music genre was, for context? That's interesting though, the Princeton looks extremely portable - I just hadn't thought it could do band levels.
    Drum kit, bass, me. Singer plays either keyboards or a bit of rhythm. Typical cover band songs, rock, indie, pop.