Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tonemaster hankering (now successfully hankered) - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tonemaster hankering (now successfully hankered)

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
edited June 2023 in Amps
I have an idle hankering for a Fender Tonemaster

I’m over valve amps (medically, carrying heavy things is not something I can do any more)

I have semi-realistic thoughts of playing out (just jams) in future - main barrier being time.

I like my AMP1 and Neo cab but just have a general hankering for something in a more traditional format that won’t continually be tempting me to faff with midi or multiple channels. 

My preferred way of playing is riding the volume to go between clean and gritty, and pedal for something more obviously ‘lead’

Which models would you be leaning toward, or trying out in store? 
"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 159
    The DR blond. Great speaker, light, loud enough. I have one and its a great thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Princeton, with a pine rather than MDF cab and a neo speaker for your delectation - give Rift a call ...
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I absolutely love my DR. I have the regular black one and it kicks ass. Easy one hand carry, attenuation is great, and the DI out is an absolute boon for gigging
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 84
    Those of you who have these - how do they compare to your valve amps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I’ve had a DR and I am now a very happy Princeton owner. I think they’re great amps. They’re versatile for different situations, they sound good and take pedals well.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Those of you who have these - how do they compare to your valve amps?
    For me, pretty damn close. I’m certain it doesn’t sound identical to a valve DR, but it’s close enough in a mix and the other benefits far outweigh any downside. 

If I had a detached house or studio and never needed to move it I’d probably choose a valve one but I don’t so I don’t!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    TimmyO said:.

I...  ...have a general hankering for something in a more traditional format that won’t continually be tempting me to faff with midi or multiple channels. 

My preferred way of playing is riding the volume to go between clean and gritty, and pedal for something more obviously ‘lead’

^ This is me. However, rather than going down the ToneMaster route I’ve recently ordered a (yet to arrive) Award-Session 5E3 Extra. It’s essentially a three-knob analogue solid-state amp - tone, volume, and master so no faffing necessary. I tried one out recently at a local blues jam and was impressed enough to place an order when I got home.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 269
    Maybe look at a Quilter Cub. I love mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    I absolutely love my DR. I have the regular black one and it kicks ass. Easy one hand carry, attenuation is great, and the DI out is an absolute boon for gigging
    This has been my experience, it’s a great bit of kit. I’m not going to pretend I’m not gassing for something else so have it up for trade right now, but I know from a rational perspective (because gas is never rational) that it is very hard to beat.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I would say Princeton if you’re thinking of jams without a drummer. It’s small, gorgeous and has the nicest breakup of the three types I’ve played. If you need more volume, then the DR is your fella. Black wrapped is my personal preference but the Blond is very popular. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    The DR blond. Great speaker, light, loud enough. I have one and its a great thing.
    This - 100%.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    Love mine. Is it the best amp, tone wise, I've ever owned? Nope, not miles off though. But it's by far the easiest amp I've ever owned to live with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    HAL9000 said:

I...  ...have a general hankering for something in a more traditional format that won’t continually be tempting me to faff with midi or multiple channels. 

^ This is me. However, rather than going down the ToneMaster route I’ve recently ordered a (yet to arrive) Award-Session 5E3 Extra. It’s essentially a three-knob analogue solid-state amp - tone, volume, and master so no faffing necessary. I tried one out recently at a local blues jam and was impressed enough to place an order when I got home.
    I had a look at the website yesterday - sounds very interesting - I’d want to be able to play one before it turned my head though 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 186
    I still own a Vibrolux, a Blues Deluxe, an Origin 20 and a Pro Jnr. I really like them all. But the amp I use now, both at gigs and at home is a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    That’s high praise @johnhe, some nice amps there.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    This is the ONLY Tonemaster I hanker after....
    One of Fender's finest ever.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited May 2023
    Gassage said:
    Unfortunately it’s one of the few amps I’ve ever played that really does need to be turned up properly loud to really release the magic. At low volumes it’s a bit lacklustre, even on the clean channel, and the ‘dirt channel’ sounds actively poor.

But when I finally got the chance to play one at full stage volume, I realised that it’s not really meant as a preamp-distortion channel-switcher - it’s more like a big non-MV amp with a *boost* channel. It sounded like the voice of god…

Unfortunately after about five minutes an irate woman appeared and asked/told me to stop! (Owner’s wife rather than mine, or I’d probably have just ignored her .)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Unfortunately it’s one of the few amps I’ve ever played that really does need to be turned up properly loud to really release the magic. At low volumes it’s a bit lacklustre, even on the clean channel, and the ‘dirt channel’ sounds actively poor.

But when I finally got the chance to play one at full stage volume, I realised that it’s not really meant as a preamp-distortion channel-switcher - it’s more like a big non-MV amp with a *boost* channel. It sounded like the voice of god…

Unfortunately after about five minutes an irate woman appeared and asked/told me to stop! (Owner’s wife rather than mine, or I’d probably have just ignored her .)

Absolutely agree. A force of nature cranked into a 4 x 12- literally how I imagine Attila the Hun to summon his hounds.

Insanely loud, insanely powerful. Sambora sounded like God through one (well 4 of them)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

I’ve gone a bit demo-blind lol. 

The TMDR is probably a safe bet. But Blonde or regular? 
    edited May 2023
    I think the regular model is the sound I have in my head for a DR. The very scooped, deep, bright and warm Fender thing. The Blond seems to be the preferred choice on here though, suggesting most are indeed ‘Gentlemen’ 
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 147
    Gassage said:

Zinky designed I imagine?
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 863
    edited May 2023
    Has anyone had experience with the Twin and Super Reverb Tone Master? Been thinking about getting something Fender-y with a mid control that I can use at home and gig. Would need to sell my heavy as hell Bassman first though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • HAL9000 said:

I recently got rid of a handwired Fender 75 combo (way too heavy for me at about 70 pounds) and a Sessionette 75 which had been my regular gigging amp for years. I put a Session BluesBaby 22, into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe cabinet that was given to me, and to me it sounded better than the Sessionette, so that's why I sold the Sessionette.   As the Blues Baby is a single channel amp, and I use variety of sounds during my live work, from clean thru' to  moderate overdrive, I wondered if I might be better having a two channel amp, so I too developed a hankering for the Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster after reading and watching lots of reviews. The two channels, light weight,  plus trem and reverb seemed to tick all the boxes. After trying one (the blonde version)  I'm cured of that hankering. It's a nice amp, and I did compare it at the same time to a handwired Deluxe Reverb, just in case that might have swayed me into getting a heavier and all-valve amp again...but the weight and cost ruled that out. I went into the shop fully prepared to walk away with a Tonemaster, so why didn't I buy one? It sounded fine, but it didn't make me feel like taking it home with me, I didn't fall in love with it, certainly not  a £1000's worth of love.  To get some drive I had to wind it up a fair bit, but the attenuation click switch on the back was too crude for me (22, 12, 5, 1, 0.5 and 0.2W). To my mind it would have been much better if it was a normal master volume so I could get exactly the right onstage volume. It's twin channel but the reverb and trem only work on one channel, and so I'd still need  at least a trem pedal if I wanted to use the full capabilities of the amp, and ideally I was hoping I wouldn't need a pedal for that. The 68 Deluxe seems to be the only version of the Deluxe Reverb that has trem and reverb on both channels. The trem was still noticeably noisy when turned down, in terms of a persistent background "ticking". The sound was OK, but my BluesBaby has a mid tone control as well as treble and bass, plus a "fat" switch" and "blackface" voicing switch...and because it has a master control, I can get the sound I want at whatever volume is appropriate for the venue - The Tonemaster had none of these, and the attenuator just didn't cut it as a substitute for a master control. I've decided to stick with my existing amp, and just bought a T Rex Moller twin drive which allows me to get four different levels of drive from clean to heavily overdriven out of the one channel. I've already got a trem pedal, so no change there.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Did you also get rid of your paragraphs? 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Has anyone had experience with the Twin and Super Reverb Tone Master? Been thinking about getting something Fender-y with a mid control that I can use at home and gig. Would need to sell my heavy as hell Bassman first though.
    @newi123 has the Twin I believe  
    HAL9000 said:

I recently got rid of a handwired Fender 75 combo (way too heavy for me at about 70 pounds) and a Sessionette 75 which had been my regular gigging amp for years. I put a Session BluesBaby 22, into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe cabinet that was given to me, and to me it sounded better than the Sessionette, so that's why I sold the Sessionette.   As the Blues Baby is a single channel amp, and I use variety of sounds during my live work, from clean thru' to  moderate overdrive, I wondered if I might be better having a two channel amp, so I too developed a hankering for the Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster after reading and watching lots of reviews. The two channels, light weight,  plus trem and reverb seemed to tick all the boxes. After trying one (the blonde version)  I'm cured of that hankering. It's a nice amp, and I did compare it at the same time to a handwired Deluxe Reverb, just in case that might have swayed me into getting a heavier and all-valve amp again...but the weight and cost ruled that out. I went into the shop fully prepared to walk away with a Tonemaster, so why didn't I buy one? It sounded fine, but it didn't make me feel like taking it home with me, I didn't fall in love with it, certainly not  a £1000's worth of love.  To get some drive I had to wind it up a fair bit, but the attenuation click switch on the back was too crude for me (22, 12, 5, 1, 0.5 and 0.2W). To my mind it would have been much better if it was a normal master volume so I could get exactly the right onstage volume. It's twin channel but the reverb and trem only work on one channel, and so I'd still need  at least a trem pedal if I wanted to use the full capabilities of the amp, and ideally I was hoping I wouldn't need a pedal for that. The 68 Deluxe seems to be the only version of the Deluxe Reverb that has trem and reverb on both channels. The trem was still noticeably noisy when turned down, in terms of a persistent background "ticking". The sound was OK, but my BluesBaby has a mid tone control as well as treble and bass, plus a "fat" switch" and "blackface" voicing switch...and because it has a master control, I can get the sound I want at whatever volume is appropriate for the venue - The Tonemaster had none of these, and the attenuator just didn't cut it as a substitute for a master control. I've decided to stick with my existing amp, and just bought a T Rex Moller twin drive which allows me to get four different levels of drive from clean to heavily overdriven out of the one channel. I've already got a trem pedal, so no change there.
    I honestly don't think I'd think of a DR as a "2 channel amp" in that "you have 2 songs on tap to switch between" way - more that you can choose which of the 2 you want to use, then use that one channel. 

I've heard a couple of good things about the Award Session amps but there's no way I'd buy one blind (deaf?) - it may well be my loss but I can't see me going that route. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’ve had the Super Reverb for a few days and the jury is still out on whether it’s going to be a long term love or not. It’s an amazingly easy carry for any amp of its volume ability, let alone a 4x10. So that’s a massive win just there. 

Whether the sound is for you or not gets a bit more complicated and depends on what you like from a big Fender. It does break up and it’s not unpleasant when it does at all but it’s nowhere near the sound of a hot running Tweed. At around 6 on the volume it has a nice edge of break up thing going on when you dig in that I like. On the lowest power setting it sounds shite though, as the speakers really aren’t at the party then, so you’re not going to get that without everyone in your house and next door (if you have one) enjoying it too. That’s still a nice level to be in the room with, you can feel the air move but it’s not going to leave your ears ringing or give you tinnitus. 

If you want a really manageable big fender with a huuuuuge sound spread and amazing cleans, this could be your answer. 

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    I'm curious to try one.  Might make a good living room amp.  
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    Jalapeno said:
    Princeton, with a pine rather than MDF cab and a neo speaker for your delectation - give Rift a call ...

And @Modulus_Amps too.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    I’ve got the Twin at the min, which I used for the last few gigs of 2022 before I packed the band in. I liked it and used it mainly as a clean pedal platform with fairly budget multi fx. I got the Twin rather than the Deluxe as at the time I fancied a 2x12 for something different to anything I’d had before. It certainly worked well for me, and sounded pretty good to my ears, and being lightweight was a massive benefit for a gigging amp.

As I don’t gig currently, I’m contemplating selling it as it’s just taking up room and getting something smaller (maybe the TMDR), but I’d definitely have one again if needed. Would love to try the Super one day, but just for shits and giggles rather than any need for a 4x10!