Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mr Marlin gear sale thread. More freshly added - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mr Marlin gear sale thread. More freshly added

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
edited July 2023 in Guitars £
I'm having building work done, its gone on a lot longer than expected, so here is the necessary cull. 

First, a Rare beast. (SOLD)
Gretsch G355 wity Deaemond 2000’s, Bigsby ans Cats Eye f-holes

These were made for just three years from 1999 to 2002 (other models went on to 2003)  this being a desirable first year run model. 

The historic range was made in Korea by Peerless, there were a good few models in the range, but most came without Bigsby, without the cats-eye f-holes, and with terrible Gretsch HumBuckers, very Gibson like PAF tones. 

This has cats-eye f-holes, Bigsby, and DeArmond 2000 pickups, very similar sounding to Gretsch Dynasonics, not a lot in it, but I actually prefer these. Sounds ace!

There are two models in the whole Gretsch Historic range that are highly prized, the G3155 and G3156.  The G3156 is identical to this, but just in white/cream. 

This is the cats eye, DeArmond sporting, G3155. Best of the bunch, cream of the crop.  1999 is going to be a great collections year (like 1959), so this is expected to shoot up in value in the coming years. They’ve doubled in used value since release. 

This one is pretty mint, no marks or dings, pro set-up with 11’s, Bigsby handles well, tuning is rock solid. 

Bad news. I suspect this is a factory refurb.  
If you look at the photos, there is evidence of minor repair near the nut, not a break, but binding may have lifted slightly in the dim and distant past. I hadn’t noticed it at the time of purchase (around 2007). 
It also looks like a new serial number has been stuck on over the original (see photo), so classic sign of return/refurb. 

You can’t feel the repair, but it’s been left honest. I only noticed it in recent weeks myself. Wouldn’t (and doesn’t) bothered me, it’s a lovely guitar, but being honest. 

These go for close on £1k these days, people are even asking £700 for the lesser models without Bigsby, Dearmonds, or Cats eyes. 

Asking £600 in a hard case, and possible personal delivery.  SOLD

Currently based in High Wycombe.  It’s a beauty!

All photos here: https://imgur.com/a/GahUhnk

SOLD
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    I have the G3156 and it’s a cracker! Goddamn it, I’d love this to go with it, too..,

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had the black one of these and goodness me it was a fine piece of guitarness. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    That’s gorgeous 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I have the G3156 and it’s a cracker! Goddamn it, I’d love this to go with it, too..,
    Happy to help with shuttling it up towards the H7 lair. A coffee seems well overdue. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    That's lovely - the colour really suits it as well.
    Call me Dave.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Thanks. I love the wood grain through the paint.

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1644
    All the best with your sale
    Bump
    Price drop £575. 
    That’s very cheap for one of these in a hard case. 
    Bump. £550 (in hard case).  Super cheap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Adding more
    edited October 2023
    SOLD.  

Harley Benton LP JR (alike). £99. SOLD)

I bought this to put a classy P90 I had knocking around into a nice guitar.  But then I bought two high-end Gibsons with P90’s, so haven’t touched it since. Offered cheap as I’m an idiot. 

Next up:
    Airline Bighorn. This thing is an ugly duckling, but I love it.   It’s just had a full service, frets leveled, full setup, brand new set of 11’s. Plays like a dream and sounds awesome.  Eastman updated the design of some old DeArmond pickups, and popped them in here.  They’re fantastic!!
    It has a tiny teeny paint chip on the headstock. Im sure my wife has some nail varnish to match (for a touch-up) if needed. 
    £300 

This is what it sounds like. 

Very rude, and rather fantastic (SOLD)

Next 
    This bestie. (sold)

WezV Dyosonic/Musicmaster clone (SOLD)

It’s just had a LOT of money spent on it. It’s had 17 frets de-lacquered, and all frets leveled, crowned, and polished, and fret ends sorted. Full setup with new 11’s plays beautifully.  Was super clunky when I got it. 
    It’s made from unusual woods, It’s got a Douglas Fir and maple neck, sycamore body, engraved metal pickguard, and Mojo Filterfoil pickups. 
    £350, which is a bargain considering how much it cost to get it playable. Now action is super low, and an absolute joy to play. 
    Candy Apple red off over Goldtop, with a nice orangey gold lightly reliced finish. 
    A bright spanky very resonant guitar. 

Original FS thread here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/240726/fs-unfinished-projects-iceman-duo-sonicish-sold#latest
    I have put a little on it, but the luthier's work wasn't cheap. The finish hasn't been messed with.
    Always room for a bit of negotiation

edit. I’ve been playing this a lot since I’ve had it worked on, it’s a fab little guitar, really quite cool, and I want to spend more time with it, so now withdrawn. 

SOLD: Amber custom shop soapbar bridge P90. 
    Comes in Lollar and Monty’s packaging. Is a fabulous pickup. Sold

More photons of all gear here: https://imgur.com/a/LVqmWhJ

More to come.  Alas, builders are flippin' expensive

edited May 2023
    Fs: Orange Tremlord. £450. @Tayeplayer has first refusal on this. 

I bought this off @dazzajl and have shamelessly stolen his photos. 

I had previously borrowed if, realised what an awesome amp it is, and bought it when he recently sold it. 

However, I’ve had builders in for coming in two months now….and all living room furniture is in our conservatory and garage. It’s iot been touched since I took possession. Not had any tone, and builders have made it difficult to get at my stuff

Info and review here:
    https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/review-orange-tremlord-30-combo

https://orangeamps.com/tremlord/

Stupid price for an awesome F-brand slaughtering amp. 

Stupid price of??

dazzajl said:
    Stupid price of??

Sorry @dazzajl.  £450. Just updated it. 
    It has not moved one millimetre since I got it here. 
    I hate your clear outs, far too much I miss or want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    I don’t want to sell any of this, I’ve only just got the Airline Bighorn and Wezv back from my luthier. 
    They sound ace, but builders are flippin’ expensive. 

The saving grace is my photos are bloody awful compared to yours, so much less appealing to look at when I sell your old gear ;)
    As always, you place too much temptation in my path. Best hang my name tag on your Bighorn. 
  • ben_wuhben_wuh Frets: 20
    PM'd!
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Wow-ie! If you have a change of heart on the Airline @dazzajl , please let me know. If not, do try and photograph it like one of your French girls.

Everything in this sale is gold.  GLWTS, not that you should need it.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’ve also got an MJW Bassman I need to list as well. 
    Bump
    Supro Bighorn back up. 

Gretsch G3155 withdrawn.  Too damn good a guitar to give it away. 
    I played that hideous looking mismatch of a Gretsch today and frankly, we’re all idiots for not buying it when we had the chance. Genuinely one of the best playing and sounding guitars I’ve held in a long time. I’m still slightly traumatised by how much I liked it. 

And I definitely owe an apology to TheMarlin for having to re list the Bighorn because I swindled him out of a Supro instead 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    dazzajl said:
    I played that hideous looking mismatch of a Gretsch today and frankly, we’re all idiots for not buying it when we had the chance. Genuinely one of the best playing and sounding guitars I’ve held in a long time. I’m still slightly traumatised by how much I liked it. 

And I definitely owe an apology to TheMarlin for having to re list the Bighorn because I swindled him out of a Supro instead 
    And i swindled you out of a lovely hollow body Supro too, so we’re all square in the swindling department. 

@dazzajl and I had a Goldtop P90 face off today.   His Maybach Goldtop Goodrush LP with P90’s and Bigsby vs my Gibson Goldtop LP R6 Murphy’s lab with P90’s and Bigsby. 

My LP has more of a bile green colour, and a fatter neck, and probably better feeling neck with the thinner distressed nitro, you can feel the wood grain through it.   Other than that though, there was sod all in it. Maybe a tiny bit of difference in the pickups, but nothing you couldn’t dial in with
    amp knob tweaking. 

Those Maybachs are frikin awesome. It’s hard to see where the vast difference in price is justified, as cost it’s not that evident in the feel or the tone. 

My LP is absolutely ace, I adore it. But so is his brilliant Maybach, but at a fraction of yen price of my fancy pants LP. 

You’d hand to prize my LP out of my cold dead hands though. It’s not going anywhere

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Sold. .  

MJW Roadstar 18 

Specs are: 
    18-watt 2 x el84 power section 
    2 x 12ax7 preamp 
    Full TMB tonestack 
    Preamp gain and master volumes 
    Power/wattage control, with extra control on back panel to reduce fizz at really high attenuation levels 
    Built into a solid old Marshall 5010 chassis, one of the UK-made amps - looks a bit different! Not a 'showroom amp' by any means! 
    comes with Fender amp cover. 

It does great cleans, but it's really more of a crunchy rock amp, great upper-mids and eager to overdrive.

I’ll be brutally honest.  I bought this, plugged if it, thought ‘wow, that’s a cracker’.  Then put it in the garage. I’ve had builder in the house non stop since I bought it.  All the livingroom
    ans Conservatory furniture was liked in the garage as work commenced, and it was buried. Safe, but inaccessible. 

Builders have gone, so finally got it out. It’s still
    sounds fantastic, but I’ve got five valve amps, and very little talent left. With me, it’s doomed to a dusty life.   

£350 (NOW SOLD).  I’m heading up north or Sunday, so possible drop off or motorway meet up is an option. 
    SOLD

More photos here. https://imgur.com/a/cSzuuhZ
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    The Gretsch G3155 (now sold)
    Airline Bighorn
    Orange Tremlord
    and possibly WezV guitar are available. 
    Prefer not to sell the WezV. It’s awesome, but I need to sell one of these to pay a roofer. 

All guitars have had a pro setup with a fresh set of Daddario 11’s. 

That P90 is also available. 
    edited July 2023
    Ugggghhhh. That damn 3155 still haunts me! It sports every single thing I don’t like on a Gretsch and yet it’s absolutely amazing. If I wasn’t a poor little church mouse this month I’d fall to the temptation 
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 222
    GLTWS @TheMarlin ;
    As someone experiencing the anxiety inducing cost and dread of having to refit a bathroom #Leak I thinkI share some of your pain here.
    I'm sacrificing a guitar at the alter of home renovations and boy, does responsible adulting SUCK.
    :(

Do try and hang onto the WezV though. It's an absolute GEM!
    :)
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
    bad_alice said:
    GLTWS @TheMarlin ;
    As someone experiencing the anxiety inducing cost and dread of having to refit a bathroom #Leak I thinkI share some of your pain here.
    I'm sacrificing a guitar at the alter of home renovations and boy, does responsible adulting SUCK.
    :(

Do try and hang onto the WezV though. It's an absolute GEM!
    :)
    I spent a good bit on the WezV, so now the action is low and it plays silky smooth. It’s got a fabulous sharp cutting tone, it really is a cracker. 

I don’t want to sell any of this, but I’ve been cleaned out by builders this month, and now the roof leak is stabbing my weakened wallet. 

Something has to go. 

Ho hum……