Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ren - the future of music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ren - the future of music?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Anyone still following Ren. I’ve been keeping an eye, he’s been releasing tracks every week for an album release next month, it’s supposedly his rap album, so not all of it is resonating with me but I do think he’s a unique talent. And for a fully independent artist, I think it’s to be respected. I really like his latest one, he’s got a great production style too, it does feel like music created free from the shackles of the music industry, 

https://youtu.be/hVuTGHClU_A?si=MzecCCWvIfkOqKIg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindude said:
    Anyone still following Ren. I’ve been keeping an eye, he’s been releasing tracks every week for an album release next month, it’s supposedly his rap album, so not all of it is resonating with me but I do think he’s a unique talent. And for a fully independent artist, I think it’s to be respected. I really like his latest one, he’s got a great production style too, it does feel like music created free from the shackles of the music industry, 

I know this is a really grumpy old man thing to say - but I honestly feel like the music scene these days is so much more sterile than than it has. I've always perceived that there has been a healthy amount alternative music being made over the years - I realise its entirely possible there still is and I am just out of touch - but I just don't see it. I think the focus on social media  popularity and tightening of the purse string has resulted in a real aversion to risk......I know there is good stuff coming out in different genres but it seems much more scarce than at any time post 60's?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindude said:

I know this is a really grumpy old man thing to say - but I honestly feel like the music scene these days is so much more sterile than than it has. I've always perceived that there has been a healthy amount alternative music being made over the years - I realise its entirely possible there still is and I am just out of touch - but I just don't see it. I think the focus on social media  popularity and tightening of the purse string has resulted in a real aversion to risk......I know there is good stuff coming out in different genres but it seems much more scarce than at any time post 60's?
    Are you saying you think Ren is sterile sounding and unoriginal? I think there's a lot of safe music and a lot influence of needing to grab attention instantly before shuffle is pressed or whatever, but Ren definitely isn't that in my opinion. He's got a good social media following by being very much his own thing, through busking and through collaborating rather than by being a pretty boy with nice photos and filters etc. He's doing it the proper way in a modem music world that is very different than four blokes playing in social clubs
  • dindude said:

Are you saying you think Ren is sterile sounding and unoriginal? I think there's a lot of safe music and a lot influence of needing to grab attention instantly before shuffle is pressed or whatever, but Ren definitely isn't that in my opinion. He's got a good social media following by being very much his own thing, through busking and through collaborating rather than by being a pretty boy with nice photos and filters etc. He's doing it the proper way in a modem music world that is very different than four blokes playing in social clubs
    No sorry @thecolourbox - I wasn't referring to Ren, like you say I think he's doing his thing, (mostly) his way - I was saying that is a strengthen of his in that he doesn't appear to have to make too many compromises toward the direction a market focus record company would likely suggest. I am saying that approach is increasingly rare in a medium that is risk averse and commercially. focused., 
  • I know this is a really grumpy old man thing to say - but I honestly feel like the music scene these days is so much more sterile than than it has. I've always perceived that there has been a healthy amount alternative music being made over the years - I realise its entirely possible there still is and I am just out of touch - but I just don't see it. I think the focus on social media  popularity and tightening of the purse string has resulted in a real aversion to risk......I know there is good stuff coming out in different genres but it seems much more scarce than at any time post 60's?

Ren doesn't move me at all, but - there is so much great music still in the underground. You just have to search Bandcamp, for instance. And be patient.
  • I thought his last couple of new ones were pretty decent actually
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter