Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ren - the future of music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ren - the future of music?

What's Hot
Do you guys know about this chap? Has an interesting back story, a sizeable body of work , some serious talent and plenty of. balls...... not difficult to imagine him as a star in the making.....

Maybe you already know? A mate of mine in Brighton told me about the Big Push a while ago - but then I saw this on Justin Hawkins Rides again and realised they are one and the same......
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Dunno, it's basically Laura Marling pretending to be street innit.

The future of music is more likely to be some dubstep-chill-ambient-dream-K-pop on the one hand and industrial-drill-arse-fuck-gun-crime-spanish-rap on the other.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited January 2023
    Sounds very much the done-to-death of music. 

Also Google throws up two more successful Rens (excluding Stimpy's chum) so fucked publicity-wise. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Kylo? Didn’t know he was a musician.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    I mean he is an unsigned artist who has managed to get 2.6m views for a music video. In that sense. Yes it is. 

And he managed it without that TikTok hook. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Interesting, clearly talented but a bit too theatrically self indulgent for me.
    I reckon he/they'd be a shoe in as support for Polyphia though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A street Laura Marling sounds interesting to me but then I don't think my tastes would typically point to the future of music to be fair.

Ren do make a nice face cream as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • He's certainly got talent. Not all to my taste but I could see plenty of people liking it.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    ICBM said:
    Kylo? Didn’t know he was a musician.
    He played the Lightsaber...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    edited January 2023
    Clearly a talented lad, not necessarily my thing but I'm a middle-aged Britpop fan, so it isn't aimed at me.

I do rather like the "musical version of those Gollum scenes from Lord of the Rings everyone loved..." vibe though.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • I just listened to that, well, some of it. It's certainly a unique sound I'll give him that. Reminded me more of an Eminem Stan/SlimShady with an acoustic guitar type thing. The Gollum comparison is a good one.

Good on the lad doing something different
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    I think he's great and I've been sharing this video too. He's clearly talented and focused and is achieving things under his own steam, however the one problem with him (at the moment) is that he is massively watchable but not massively listenable. I'd watch his vids repeatedly but doubt I'd play him on Spotify.

Still cool though. Peaky Blinder Slim Shady Arctic Monkey.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Wot? No Stimpy?
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    Just stumbled across Ren, thanks to Justin Hawkins. Amazing!
  • DiscoStu said:
    I think he's great and I've been sharing this video too. He's clearly talented and focused and is achieving things under his own steam, however the one problem with him (at the moment) is that he is massively watchable but not massively listenable. I'd watch his vids repeatedly but doubt I'd play him on Spotify.

Still cool though. Peaky Blinder Slim Shady Arctic Monkey.
    Think that sums it up for me too @DiscoStu - but I hear ver kidz watch as much listen what with all their social phone media and all that.....  its not my bag but its different and he has a saleable back story too..... Maybe he'll be a bit. difficult to digest but I think if he could break through he could go big.....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Clearly a talented chap, but I really struggled to get through more than a couple of minutes of that.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Billy Bragg posted this the other day and my uncle sent it to me on the same day. I didn't get far before my cringe response overwhelmed me and I had to stop the video unfortunately
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That was very original - he's not just a great guitarist but also a fine lyricist... very profound track  
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Clearly talented but that accent that everyone uses nowadays bugs me.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I'm not convinced that's the future of music, mainly because I'm pretty sure you could remove the musical element (the guitar) and it would have exactly the same effect.

Seems more like the kind of thing that'd go down a blinder at a modern poetry slam to me.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Think @DiscoStu and @jonnyburgo have summed up pretty well for me. 

It was compelling to watch, annoying to listen to and once was enough.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    That is exceptional. 

Will have to check the back catalogue. 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    I really like that.  Looked through some of his other stuff and he's got a new fan here.

However, he is most definitely NOT the future of music.  That is a combination of shit pop music and the same of shite from mega-artists who will just carry on until they're can't perform live any more and move onto being holograms!
  • Clearly talented but that accent that everyone uses nowadays bugs me.
    Yes I managed about ten seconds of it. 

• t1000t1000 Frets: 84
    I'm a typical dad rock fan stuck in grunge, britpop, rock etc this totally blew me away. Yes it's not a song you will be singing down the pub but it's something unique and I loved it.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    t1000 said:
    I'm a typical dad rock fan stuck in grunge, britpop, rock etc this totally blew me away. Yes it's not a song you will be singing down the pub but it's something unique and I loved it.

I agree. I thought it was very different and very clever.
  • Clearly talented but that accent that everyone uses nowadays bugs me.
    Yes I managed about ten seconds of it. 
    I'm not sure I've heard anybody with that accent, I'm not a widely sociable person so that's not from a massive pool of people but still, if you are surrounded by people who talk like that I'd be quite concerned for you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    I hope not.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    I liked the making noises along with the music bit as that saves all that time wasted trying to write meaningful lyrics. 

Otherwise, it's a big 1/10 from me.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    euan said:
    I mean he is an unsigned artist who has managed to get 2.6m views for a music video. In that sense. Yes it is. 

And he managed it without that TikTok hook. 
    Must have a good talent and marketing agency.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Not sure it's the future of music, but hopefully part of it.