Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ren - the future of music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ren - the future of music?

What's Hot

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1728
    I’ve been following the Big Push and Ren on YouTube for a couple of years. They are talented musicians and when you look at some of the drivel on the TV talent shows there’s no comparison. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Clearly talented but that accent that everyone uses nowadays bugs me.
    Yes I managed about ten seconds of it. 
    I'm not sure I've heard anybody with that accent, I'm not a widely sociable person so that's not from a massive pool of people but still, if you are surrounded by people who talk like that I'd be quite concerned for you
    London Mandem accent. Quite common nowadays on the mean streets, get with it grandad. ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    It’s pretty incredible stuff, wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Can I revise my position on this, moving from incredible to truly exceptional.

I’ve watched a few reaction vids on this (I know know, don’t judge me) and the response and listening journey is largely the same and without exception has an emotional response. 
    It starts out sounding preposterous, even comical with the classical guitar and high pitched singing, if you’ve written it off by this point then shame on you, then the main thing kicks off and you come to terms with the fact it’s theatrical and doesn’t sound familiar but you think you’ve kinda got it sussed, enjoying the great lyrical interplay and delivery thinking this is pretty cool, then the intensity of the “devil bit” surprises again, but the way he builds out of that section is pure genius ending with just a few bars of brilliant singing coming from know where. By the time he goes back into the preposterous high pitched singing, it’s all making sense. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindude said:
    Can I revise my position on this, moving from incredible to truly exceptional.

I’ve watched a few reaction vids on this (I know know, don’t judge me) and the response and listening journey is largely the same and without exception has an emotional response. 
    It starts out sounding preposterous, even comical with the classical guitar and high pitched singing, if you’ve written it off by this point then shame on you, then the main thing kicks off and you come to terms with the fact it’s theatrical and doesn’t sound familiar but you think you’ve kinda got it sussed, enjoying the great lyrical interplay and delivery thinking this is pretty cool, then the intensity of the “devil bit” surprises again, but the way he builds out of that section is pure genius ending with just a few bars of brilliant singing coming from know where. By the time he goes back into the preposterous high pitched singing, it’s all making sense. 

I completely agree - it's not the sort of thing I'd normally go for at all - In fact things like theatricality and virtuosity would normally send me running - things I'd actively avoid - and it may well be that I wouldn't spend a lot of time listening to his music - but if I put my biases aside for a moment its evident that there is some serious talent here - and as well as his playing, performing and compositional gifts I have to respect some one who is so uniquely themselves and clearly isn't afraid to step out of the box - his story is really interesting too - there has been some serious adversity - it would be comparatively easy you'd image for him to have done something in the Tom Grennan mold and maybe had a greater or more immediate success - but he's doing his own thing and I respect that... I think he could really blow up. 

Maybe it was a bit hyperbolic for me to say future of music - its certainly not my bag but ultimately things are so dire these days that its just a relief to see a pop star who doesn't behave and sound like a careerist politician or footballer!!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    I've watched that three times in total since I first saw it here. I've sent it to my Daughter and my best mate since then.

Once upon a time I was sceptical about small cast local theatre performances, having been to several because that's one of the things my other half is into I've changed my mind about that.

I prefer countryish music made by former drug addicts and ex punks, but 8 mile is one of my top 20 films, as in if I see it's on tv then I will watch it.

I found Hi Ren enjoyable in an uncomfortable way, the dichotomy of self so to speak. Even lip synching to that volume of words would be very difficult for me. I'm impressed by it.

Sometimes theatre feels profound and stays with you for a while. That video will stay with me for a lot longer than most pop pap. The comparison drawn above about musical talent shows offering nothing remotely as good rings true with me. Perhaps not the future of music, but excellent nonetheless.

• Here's his latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    I was fully in until he said the "sidewalk" when he clearly meant "pavement"!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    S56035 said:
    Younger generation dude, Americanisms are more common than ever...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    I only found it this week thanks to Justin Hawkins and I loved it - very theatrical and thought provoking 
    I too enjoyed the reaction videos and found that immersing into what is going on lyrically made it hit home.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I only found it this week thanks to Justin Hawkins and I loved it - very theatrical and thought provoking 
    I too enjoyed the reaction videos and found that immersing into what is going on lyrically made it hit home.

People dis reaction vids, and most are pretty bad, but the good ones are interesting. For example, how many people have wondered what it was like to hear Eruption for the first time when VH1 came out. This couldn’t be more different but actually has some similarities in that it sounds so alien that peoples reactions are pretty funny / interesting. 
  • S56035 said:
    Younger generation dude, Americanisms are more common than ever...
    A bit like the word "dude" you mean ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I enjoyed that. Very much reminds me of a mashup with this mostly forgotten choon... even down to the stepping on the cracks in the pavement lyric  ;)   40 years ago FFS! 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    dindude said:

People dis reaction vids, and most are pretty bad, but the good ones are interesting. For example, how many people have wondered what it was like to hear Eruption for the first time when VH1 came out. This couldn’t be more different but actually has some similarities in that it sounds so alien that peoples reactions are pretty funny / interesting. 
    I like reaction videos. Reminds me of when you'd go round a mate's place with a new CD they hadn't heard. Music is best experienced with other people and it doesn't happen as much these days, certainly as you get older but also a sign of the times
  • Yes, I saw this, and I do not believe this is the ‘future of music’ (whatever that actually means). But you enjoy it. I’m happy for you. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited February 2023
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    I hate the mandem accent and the haircut that everyone seems to have, this whole grime thing being popular and adding some acoustic guitar to somehow make it unique...

But then I got about a minute in and was completely captivated. He has the self-awareness to mention the Eminem and Plan B comparison right there in the song too.

I love how completely sincere and meaningful his lyrics are. Not a single word wasted, the theatrical delivery, the high drama. In theory it's nothing like anything I'd ever thought I'd enjoy, but I do.

I'm off to watch more of his stuff.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    edited February 2023
    NelsonP said:
    My mate Mike from this is war! makes them guitars. Si runs the great rehearsal room we use in Chester and the guitars are built at. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonP said:
    My mate Mike from this is war! makes them guitars. Si runs the great rehearsal room we use in Chester and the guitars are built at. 
    That sounds interesting @lustycourtier -  we're in Wrexham and looking for rehearsal space and those guitars look pretty lovey.... would you mind sharing some deets?
  • NelsonP said:
    That sounds interesting @lustycourtier -  we're in Wrexham and looking for rehearsal space and those guitars look pretty lovey.... would you mind sharing some deets?
    Faktory in Barrow which is a little village actually your side of Chester. It’s a wonderful studio, for rehearsing or recording. 
  • NelsonP said:
    Faktory in Barrow which is a little village actually your side of Chester. It’s a wonderful studio, for rehearsing or recording. 
    appreciate it @lustycourtier - looks really good tbh....thank. you 
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 72
    I think Ren is the past, present and future of music. I really like his music and all The Big Push stuff.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

That's good.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

That's good.
    I thought it was just like an advert for a building society or something tbh. Love his other stuff though, but cant see where it can go though...
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I’m sorry but if this is the future of music I’m out! 

That was, in two words, fucking shite.

The hair. The vocals. The guitar tone. Everything about it is just wrong…

I’ve heard more interesting/musical farts coming from a baby than this bollocks. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I’ve heard more interesting/musical farts coming from a baby than this bollocks. 
    By then. 

P.s. did you actually listen to it past 30 seconds after judging the hair? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    dindude said:

By then. 

P.s. did you actually listen to it past 30 seconds after judging the hair? 
    Listened to the whole first song in the thread and found the whole thing just… a hot mess.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

That's good.
    Agreed  :)
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Disliking music because of a haircut. I’m sure we’ve heard that before 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    I appreciate the talent, the effort and the risk taking (and like the haircut). I wouldn't listen to it out of choice though - I'm too set in my ways musically.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience