Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ren - the future of music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ren - the future of music?

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    ewal said:
    I appreciate the talent, the effort and the risk taking (and like the haircut). I wouldn't listen to it out of choice though - I'm too set in my ways musically.
    Which is the thread title restated, really. Music needs change, or it'll just be old geezers knocking out tired rock on guitar forever.

(I think he's amazing, but I've not listened to him for weeks.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 896
    edited March 2023
    I’m sorry but if this is the future of music I’m out! 

That was, in two words, fucking shite.

The hair. The vocals. The guitar tone. Everything about it is just wrong…

I’ve heard more interesting/musical farts coming from a baby than this bollocks. 
    Totally @Octahedron - I mean what is this? It's not proper rock like Europe - they were a proper band...... there isn't even a guitar solo or any spandex or studs..... this guy could never play Nuno Bettencourt's second solo on the b-side to shotgun of love.... you know the one that starts after the eight drum solo at 14minutes 20.... the one when he steps on his tight fudge bender pedal and uses the suspended 2nd mixed Molly whopper scale with 7 minutes of finger tapping. Man thats real music. It's about the notes he doesn't play. That 2 hour pause before he starts the whole solo again? Wow. Brings a tear to my eye.....

I think we could all learn from you @Octahedron - if we all spent more time listening to baby farts instead of this b*llox music wouldn't be in such a sorry state today. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400

I’ve heard more interesting/musical farts coming from a baby than this bollocks. 
    Totally @Octahedron - I mean what is this? It's not proper rock like Europe - they were a proper band...... there isn't even a guitar solo or any spandex or studs..... this guy could never play Nuno Bettencourt's second solo on the b-side to shotgun of love.... you know the one that starts after the eight drum solo at 14minutes 20.... the one when he steps on his tight fudge bender pedal and uses the suspended 2nd mixed Molly whopper scale with 7 minutes of finger tapping. Man thats real music. It's about the notes he doesn't play. That 2 hour pause before he starts the whole solo again? Wow. Brings a tear to my eye.....

I think we could all learn from you @Octahedron - if we all spent more time listening to baby farts instead of this b*llox music wouldn't be in such a sorry state today. 
    I’m familiar with “sarcasm”. I find it amusing that your automatic assumption is that I like Europe, Extreme, etc. and you’re absolutely correct. I do. However, that’s not what my original point was.

It’s funny, because I listened to another of the songs posted in the thread where it’s just him talking drivel over the top of the music from Bittersweet Symphony.  

I just can’t get behind the idea that people actually consider this guy the “future of music”. It’s nonsense. Anyone can do what he’s doing with Garage Band and a few brain cells. It’s not original… People are free to like what they want but the idea that this is the future of music is absurd to me.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited March 2023

I’m familiar with “sarcasm”. I find it amusing that your automatic assumption is that I like Europe, Extreme, etc. and you’re absolutely correct. I do. However, that’s not what my original point was.

It’s funny, because I listened to another of the songs posted in the thread where it’s just him talking drivel over the top of the music from Bittersweet Symphony.  

I just can’t get behind the idea that people actually consider this guy the “future of music”. It’s nonsense. Anyone can do what he’s doing with Garage Band and a few brain cells. It’s not original… People are free to like what they want but the idea that this is the future of music is absurd to me.
    That would be an interesting Fretboard composition challenge - make a Ren style composition, bonus points if you can choreograph the performance of it as well. Would be an interesting way to test the theory that you only need garage band and a few brain cells to do it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322

I’m familiar with “sarcasm”. I find it amusing that your automatic assumption is that I like Europe, Extreme, etc. and you’re absolutely correct. I do. ...
    Well done Sir, a lot of people would have pretended not to at that point to try and win, fair play!

The overall point though is that if you are from the era of Europe and Extreme, you would probably concede a lot of people consider that era ridiculous, misogynistic, high-camp twaddle.  I certainly do, except for the odd song (it's hard not to like "Final Countdown", however silly it is, or "More Than Words"). 

That however has no effect on whether YOU like it or not.  It has an audience of people who love it, and you quite rightly don't give a toss if I don't like it, because it brings you pleasure.

If Ren gets an audience, and critical acclaim, both of which are growing, then he can make a career in music, and whether you or I listen to him really doesn't matter - he will be "out there".

Music is a thoroughly subjective thing.  The real beauty of the streaming era is that all music past and present is there for you to sample and find new things you like, I think that's great.

There is however no "right" or "wrong" way to make popular music, be it what Ren does (grime poet?) or hair metal, both are legitimate forms of artistic expression and potentially commercial product.  We haven't a right to judge the first (analyse, discuss sure, judge, no) and the market takes care of the second.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    It's interesting to see the impact 'The Streets' (aka Mike Skinner) had on the landscape many years down the line.

Maybe a legacy equal some of the guitar bands like Oasis and so on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m sorry but if this is the future of music I’m out! 

Hey @Octahedron - thank you for responding to my message. Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour - I wish it was beneath me but I've never been a proud man. Anyway - I am glad you took it in the spirit it was intended - as a light. bit of ribbing. As you rightly say we're all entitled to our own opinions and our own taste - I wouldn't have it any other way and in fact there is something endearing and appealing about the feeling that your one of a select few clued up individuals who are into your particular favourite album, artist or genre..... there is also the happiness that comes from knowing your part of a bigger movement or group who share a taste in music or a particular life style......

Europe and Extreme were just a lucky guess - easy targets to make fun of - both those groups have proven to have an enduring popularity so cannot be without their charms and merits. 

It's juts not my bag - but neither is Ren. - I say a couple of times in the thread that it's not to my taste...... it's too theatrical for me personally - but even if it doesn't appeal to me I can see the possibility of it being picked upon and gaining traction as a zeitgeist type artist - I think its appropriate that when the next Beatles, Bowie,Marley, Funkadelic, Clash, Public Enemy, Nirvana or Oasis etc come a long that us 'older folk' will think - 'whats the terrible noise - thats not real music' - thats only right and proper for ver kids to have something of their own, something us oldies don't understand

I'd dispute your assertion that anyone can do what he's doing with garage band (have a look at some of the YouTube clips of his own band 'the big push'... he's a talented musician and singer) and thought you can clearly see some of his influences I'd also say that he's an original artist in that he presents familiar ideas in a comparatively new way......

No need to worry anyway @Octahedron - even if Ren takes over and there is no more 'proper bands making proper music'...... the out touch people of yesterday (us) can still hide in our Guns n Roses (you) and Stone Roses (me) CDs.....
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    I've skipped the last few pages of comments, but in response to the original question:

No, I don't think it is the future of music - it will have it's place and some people will like it but I don't see it as anything new or groundbreaking.

I wouldn't buy the CD, but as a piece of performance art I did really quite enjoy it.  Without the visuals it doesn't carry the same weight for me.  I think as part of a stage play or musical it would fit in really well and I'd be happy to buy tickets and sit in a theatre and watch this as part of a bigger story.

On it's own I think it will fade into obscurity to all apart from a dedicated few who will like this kind of stuff regardless.

The lad obviously has talent, though, and I wish him all the success that he seeks.

Over & out.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400

That would be an interesting Fretboard composition challenge - make a Ren style composition, bonus points if you can choreograph the performance of it as well. Would be an interesting way to test the theory that you only need garage band and a few brain cells to do it
    The way things are going, AI could probably reproduce Ren. Well, pretty much most genres. Probably with varying degrees of success with the more obscure types but I wouldn’t be surprised.

It's interesting to see the impact 'The Streets' (aka Mike Skinner) had on the landscape many years down the line.

Maybe a legacy equal some of the guitar bands like Oasis and so on.
    Interestingly, I had forgotten about The Streets. It’s not my jam. I used to often catch his music videos when flicking between the music channels on Sky tv as a kid. Definitely see the similarities there. 

I’m familiar with “sarcasm”. I find it amusing that your automatic assumption is that I like Europe, Extreme, etc. and you’re absolutely correct. I do. ...
    Well done Sir, a lot of people would have pretended not to at that point to try and win, fair play!

The overall point though is that if you are from the era of Europe and Extreme, you would probably concede a lot of people consider that era ridiculous, misogynistic, high-camp twaddle.  I certainly do, except for the odd song (it's hard not to like "Final Countdown", however silly it is, or "More Than Words"). 

That however has no effect on whether YOU like it or not.  It has an audience of people who love it, and you quite rightly don't give a toss if I don't like it, because it brings you pleasure.

If Ren gets an audience, and critical acclaim, both of which are growing, then he can make a career in music, and whether you or I listen to him really doesn't matter - he will be "out there".

Music is a thoroughly subjective thing.  The real beauty of the streaming era is that all music past and present is there for you to sample and find new things you like, I think that's great.

There is however no "right" or "wrong" way to make popular music, be it what Ren does (grime poet?) or hair metal, both are legitimate forms of artistic expression and potentially commercial product.  We haven't a right to judge the first (analyse, discuss sure, judge, no) and the market takes care of the second.
    I find it amusing that this (whether intentionally or unintentionally) insinuates that I am from that era. Makes me sound/feel old. I’m not. I missed that boat by 10-15 years. I’m not that old. :) my parents are. However, both bands made a comeback (see Europe - Start from the Dark, which sounds nothing like The Final Countdown) and Extreme - Saudades de Rock, which sounds like all their past work but with modern production values. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Judging by that Steely Dan AI lyrics thread, I don't think Ren has too much to worry about...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Clearly talented but that accent that everyone uses nowadays bugs me.
    Yes I managed about ten seconds of it. 
    I'm not sure I've heard anybody with that accent, I'm not a widely sociable person so that's not from a massive pool of people but still, if you are surrounded by people who talk like that I'd be quite concerned for you
    London Mandem accent. Quite common nowadays on the mean streets, get with it grandad. ;)
    He’s from the same part of north Wales as me, no idea where he got that accent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Clearly talented but that accent that everyone uses nowadays bugs me.
    Yes I managed about ten seconds of it. 
    I'm not sure I've heard anybody with that accent, I'm not a widely sociable person so that's not from a massive pool of people but still, if you are surrounded by people who talk like that I'd be quite concerned for you
    London Mandem accent. Quite common nowadays on the mean streets, get with it grandad. ;)
    He’s from the same part of north Wales as me, no idea where he got that accent.

Was sat on a train back to Liverpool from Conwy the other week and a bunch of kids from Llandudno were on and they all spoke like that! Weird...

In other news, found this one from Ren, so he's not just a one trick rap pony. Nice.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I liked that. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    *snip*
    Was sat on a train back to Liverpool from Conwy the other week and a bunch of kids from Llandudno were on and they all spoke like that! Weird...

In other news, found this one from Ren, so he's not just a one trick rap pony. Nice.

Ren is not a one trick act, but Chinchilla clearly has all the talons.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    I've just listened to the Ren X Chinchilla thing twice.
    I really enjoyed it and will be showing to my other half later. I was born in 1967.
    The harmonies were ace, I hated his haircut and her fake fingernails but the song worked for me.

Art is subjective. As a guitar forum we of all people should understand that. Live and let live 'n shit.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    What's so bad about his haircut? I thought everyone liked a nice short back and sides?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    It's not a look I thought would come back tbh, I remember people looking a lot like that when I was at school in the early nineties. The shellsuit too. 

Who cares though?! Jeez

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    edited April 2023
    My Daughter lives in Brighton now. I wish I had the chance to see him and his chosen ones doing their thing on the street in the sunshine.

He's a very talented musician. I couldn't give a tuppenny fuck about his haircut now. It's all about the music. I'm 56 and into folk and alt country/Americana ya know...

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

Using that riff could be expensive.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

The bass player of The Verve sent him one of his basses, so the band are likely cool with it, their record co.  might de-monetise that’s all. Rick Beato would love REN as he actively encourages people to use his material in their videos for reactions etc. 

His latest one isn’t my usual thing at all but I think it’s great. The story he tells of the making the video is also interesting, filmed in a shopping centre basement turned homeless squat. It ain’t your usual rap G-wagons and bling for sure.

https://youtu.be/tB-JGSdBerE
    edited April 2023
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

Haven't the slightest clue what you mean...  unless you are an early Stones fan  ;)
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/diddy-sting-5k-per-day-sample
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I like his covers more.

https://youtu.be/azAD9KE9HKE

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bit weird, but I suppose it's kind of the point really.

Creative? Pretty creative. No doubt. Not sure about "future of music" but something a bit different. 

I think it is entirely possible that his seemingly self-deprecating lyrics are his most endearing. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    I like his covers more.

https://youtu.be/azAD9KE9HKE

To be fair, that was bloody good.  I enjoyed that, thanks.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

Why? The verve have never made a penny from it, all the money went to the Jagger/Richards. Ren wont of made the same mistake
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    dindude said:
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

The bass player of The Verve sent him one of his basses, so the band are likely cool with it, their record co.  might de-monetise that’s all. Rick Beato would love REN as he actively encourages people to use his material in their videos for reactions etc. 

His latest one isn’t my usual thing at all but I think it’s great. The story he tells of the making the video is also interesting, filmed in a shopping centre basement turned homeless squat. It ain’t your usual rap G-wagons and bling for sure.

It wasnt a bass, it was a mullard guitar. Its in this weeks Justin Hawkins rides again. Mike Mullard is currently making him another.

BS isnt a verve riff, its a rolling stones one which, due to an admin error before urban hymns came out, wasnt cleared and so the song has cost them for 29 years, and counting. 
    @lustycourtier 

BS isnt a verve riff, its a rolling stones one which, due to an admin error before urban hymns came out, wasnt cleared and so the song has cost them for 29 years, and counting. 
    That was the point I was making (or attempting to).
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Jagger and Richard’s actually handed over the rights in 2019, so the Verve having been taking royalties 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    dindude said:
    Litterick said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's his latest

It wasnt a bass, it was a mullard guitar. Its in this weeks Justin Hawkins rides again. Mike Mullard is currently making him another.

Yeah, I’m aware of the Stones origins, but REN is obviously playing against BS, not The Last Time by the Stones or an orchestral version thereof, and as said The Verve have the rights now.