Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Running Thread 2023 - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Running Thread 2023

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    stevebrum said:
    Any tips for people who have massively fallen off the running wagon?

A year or so ago I was doing about 100km a month and a slow half marathon was not a stretch for me. A 10km would be absolutely nothing.

I've had a bit of a perfect storm of having the snip which took me out of running for a month and then for a number of weeks in a row which seemed to be a perfect storm where I was either sick, it was 30 degrees, work was nuts, or I was away from home.

As a result I've put on 2 stone and I can barely run 5km. I'm doing in general a 5km once a week at the moment and sometimes having to stop to get my breath back. I haven't been this for about 4-5 years and it makes me dread running rather than look forward to it. 
    I actually got to the point where none of my running shirts fit me a while back, but luckily I've managed to drop a few pounds since then and I don't look like a day glo sausage. 

This happened to anyone else, and how did you get back into it?
    It’s not happened to me @monquixote but it sounds like there’s some work to do on your eating habits. If the weight gain is purely from stopping running - then you most likely didn’t have the balance of food and exercise right. 

I’d work on your overall calories, get some strength sessions in, persist with the 5ks - just go slower and build your aerobic base back up. You do lose it. 

Are you trying to keep the same pace as when you were much fitter? 

Some 11/12 min miles for a few weeks wouldn’t hurt - it’ll feel unnatural and slow but it’s miles in the bank and rebuilding. 

Best of luck!

I think it's a bit of a combination of the two.

I do have a problem with disordered eating which has led to my being quite overweight in the past. One of the things I like about doing lots of cardio is that I can still eat a lot and not put on weight. I think not exercising has hit me, but also I've been eating a lot worse. 

For a long while I've been skipping breakfast, having Huel at lunch and then eating normally in the evening and that's gone out of the window with lots of white bread and crisps and also drinking beer etc which always makes me blow up like a balloon. 

I think I am struggling with going too fast. I did an 8km today and found a couple of times I ran out of breath and stopped. both times I looked at my watch and found I'd been going at about 5:00/km where I should be going more like 6:00/km for my level of fitness. I think when I stop concentrating I'm used to running at that pace so I drift back to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:
    I don't speak from experience but thinking back to when I started running, the slow runs are what helped me. If you're getting out of breath and having to stop, you're going too fast.

Perhaps try Couch to 5k?

If I got any less fit I'd probably have to go back to that, but I'm at the point where I'd be in the final stages which are basically "Run a 5K" which is what I'm doing anyway.

I am going too fast. I think I don't really know my pace anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    edited October 2023
    Cheers for the positive vibes folks.  Sore legs today!!

Clarendon Marathon...

Was slower than I had hoped to be but came in at 4hr57min  avg 11min miles over the 27 and a bit mile course.  Shaved about 18 mins off the time I did the full course last time in 2020 and on the way posted new fastest mile and km time according to Garmin watch.  Overall though it was a hot and humid day and I'd forgotten just how tough the terrain is... lots of hills and few long runnable sections compared to the other trail marathon we're familiar with.  Still,  a good day out and hard but enjoyable running.  Now contemplating whether to wrap this year up by also running the Five Trails Ultra 50k on Oct 21 seeing as we've already done most of the hard yards in training for the Clarendon... that would make 2 trail marathons and 2 trail ultra 50kms for this year...a big step up from the one trail marathon and one half trail we've done per year previously...

Sept stats. 93.1 miles,  14 runs,  longest 20 miles overall
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Good stuff @Benm39 - congrats. 

I think once you enter the world of trail marathons and ultras time goes out the window a little. Ground conditions and elevation differ so much between routes the goal has to be to just finish. 

I’m tentatively eyeing up a trail marathon in November the first 2 miles are basically a 1000ft ascent;  there’s 3 big climbs along the course for a total ascent of 2800ft. There will be plenty of walking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Today was really good!

OK, so I was a runner in my youth, pretty good, but now I'm 60 and have to limit running as it aggravates my knees and hips badly if I overdo it.

I have 3 running days, which I seem to be able to cope with. 5k Parkrun on Saturdays, 10k with hills on Mondays and a 5k on Thursdays. Today I went for a run, and felt so good, in a way that I haven't felt for over 20 years. I just seemed to be moving really well, more like the old days. I ended up pushing on for 8.5k and got faster as I went, my speed was 40secs per km faster than I usually train at!

Boy did it feel good! quite revitalising! I put it down to two things, one is a big weight loss this year and the other is that I am now up to about week 6 of 20km cycling a day commuting to work. My legs just feel stronger!

Pretty sure I have more Parkrun PBs in me ...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    That's awesome @axisus !

I know just what you mean when everything just sort of regulates nicely and just works... nothing better than finding you're running faster but with seemingly less effort. 

Wife and I are now thinking of getting some running coach sessions to really get into improving technique,  cadence and targeted aerobic base and threshold training so we can hopefully push on to longer distance events and maybe even multi day stuff... would love to be able to get to stage where we could at least enter things like Spine Race Challenger etc. 

It's really motivating to hear people's successes and challenges here. 
    Shaved another 2 seconds off my Parkrun PB yesyerday! Not a big deal but still very pleasing!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Great work @axisus fantastic to see you getting better and stronger.  ;)

I’m in a different position to you as I started late (40s) and don’t have any running background from my youth at all. 

Seeing what you’re doing with 15 years on me is inspiring - I can only hope to be doing it when I get there! And if I look after myself, with less miles on the clock from starting late - I might just be able to.
    stevebrum said:
    Great work @axisus fantastic to see you getting better and stronger.  ;)

I’m in a different position to you as I started late (40s) and don’t have any running background from my youth at all. 

Seeing what you’re doing with 15 years on me is inspiring - I can only hope to be doing it when I get there! And if I look after myself, with less miles on the clock from starting late - I might just be able to.
    If you want it you can get it!

There's a woman I know at Parkrun, she's younger than me but a better PB from about 4 years ago. She had a long injury achilles problem and is about a minute slower than me now. When I talk to her she is resigned to not being as good as she was. That is totally the opposite of me, big setbacks drive me on! A year ago I tore a muscle, couldn't bend my leg and had to wear a leg brace for a couple of months. Every week I still went down to Parkrun to watch. I stared back taking over 30 minutes and have gradually over months ground out my best ever results. I've had a shedload of big injuries over the years but always strived to still get better, to come back and beat my rivals! I'm very competitive ....