Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Running Thread 2023 - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Running Thread 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 474
    RedRabbit said:
    Day 2 of c25k done.  It should have been on Wednesday but some sort of bug (possibly covid) has had me stuck in bed the last 3 days.  Today was tough but I knew if I didn't get it done I'd risk losing all motivation for it and just not bother taking it any further.  Planning on doing day 3 tomorrow so I can get back on schedule next week.

Running a full 5km feels a long way off but I know I've done it before and more so there's no reason I can't do it again.
    W1d3 is in the bag.  Woke up with a headache which made the first 10 minutes or so difficult.  Forgot about it after that though and had no sign of the headache when I'd finished.  I'd put it down to the fresh air but I was in the back bedroom on a treadmill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    d8m said:
    Bidley said:
     I thought it would be a piece of piss but christ, running slower is tough on the joints. 
    I find that when im trying to slow the pace I have a tendacy to bounce more, which does my knees no favours!

Well done on all the running this week everyone, not easy when the weather is so bad 
    Highest weekly mileage on Strava since middle of September for me so chuffed!
    Have a read of Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman - I read it last year and was putting in some really slow runs - 11-12 min miles by HR monitoring.

It doesn’t feel right running that slow and actually takes some doing. It’d be much more natural and easier for me to go out doing sub 9 min miles.

I’ve settled on anything over 10 mins as a reasonable easy pace for me but I’d like to see if I can get that a bit slower. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • d8md8m Frets: 2430
    Thanks for the recommendation will take a look.

I find that I have a natural comfortable pace and slowing down beyond that just feels odd, despite the fact that it’ll allow me to get more miles in the legs. 

Just going to take some practise to get myself back up to half marathon distances after a couple of years running predominantly 10k races.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just got a 10k PB! (45:20)

Well chuffed :)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now |  WTB: EQD Talons | Jazzmaster build thread
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Good work everyone!

Next week's marathon training looks tough. The speed session is 1 mile/2 mile/1 mile at about 7 minute miles each. I can just about sustain that for 1km so that'll be interesting!
    Easy 4 for me after work tonight, still making an effort to try and slow down the pace and had some success this evening as it felt a bit more natural. Next for me will be speed session on Wednesday(weather permitting).

Really enjoying this thread and seeing everyones updates :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    W2D1 done.

Had the same thing as the previous run - the first couple of intervals were difficult but by the end I felt good enough that I did another 2 intervals above what the workout called for.  I'm hoping getting extra intervals in now will help when I get into the longer runs.  Even going for 10 minutes seems like a lot at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    RedRabbit said:
    W2D1 done.

Had the same thing as the previous run - the first couple of intervals were difficult but by the end I felt good enough that I did another 2 intervals above what the workout called for.  I'm hoping getting extra intervals in now will help when I get into the longer runs.  Even going for 10 minutes seems like a lot at the moment.
    A lot of that is in the mind. 

When I did c2 5k I was so worried that I had to go from running 8 mins, break 8 mins straight to doing 20 mins. 

I didn't think I could do it. I'd followed all of the training from day 1 though and it's a well thought out process. It was no where near as hard as I thought it would be. 

Trust the process and you'll be fine.  Each time you smash a mental hurdle the next one becomes easier. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Did a 25 min run on my lunch yesterday, nice to get away from the computer desk and felt like a bit of progress having been ill for a few weeks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I ran another 5k last night (26:30), alone this time and in the dark and dreary evening. It wasn't an easy choice but I'm keen to get the habit back so I can build a good foundation for running faster and further. My triathlon club coaches have posted some interval training thing for the week so I'll maybe do that on Thursday. There's a warm-up and stretch to start, then the main workout is a pyramid - increasing effort with increasing recovery, then back down. The peak is 5 mins at a fast 5k pace, with 2 mins recovery.

They recommend dynamic stretching to warm-up, and static stretching to cool down. I always thought it was the other way around, but comments in this thread have me thinking differently.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    I ran another 5k last night (26:30), alone this time and in the dark and dreary evening. It wasn't an easy choice but I'm keen to get the habit back so I can build a good foundation for running faster and further. My triathlon club coaches have posted some interval training thing for the week so I'll maybe do that on Thursday. There's a warm-up and stretch to start, then the main workout is a pyramid - increasing effort with increasing recovery, then back down. The peak is 5 mins at a fast 5k pace, with 2 mins recovery.

They recommend dynamic stretching to warm-up, and static stretching to cool down. I always thought it was the other way around, but comments in this thread have me thinking differently.
    Well done! I aspire to be able to run 5k that fast!

I've always been told dynamic to warm up. I think that static on a cold muscle puts too much strain on ot. 
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    relic245 said:
    I ran another 5k last night (26:30), alone this time and in the dark and dreary evening. It wasn't an easy choice but I'm keen to get the habit back so I can build a good foundation for running faster and further. My triathlon club coaches have posted some interval training thing for the week so I'll maybe do that on Thursday. There's a warm-up and stretch to start, then the main workout is a pyramid - increasing effort with increasing recovery, then back down. The peak is 5 mins at a fast 5k pace, with 2 mins recovery.

I've always been told dynamic to warm up. I think that static on a cold muscle puts too much strain on ot. 
    Yeah that’s the theory I’ve read and which makes sense. Those cold muscles don’t want to be stretched.

Running the first mile nice and slow also counts as a dynamic warm up for some people - might be worth considering if you’re not one for specific movements. 
    Speed work this morning in the pissing rain. Nice and short 5x 2min 7min/mile 2min recover. Felt great afterwards. Looking forward to 8 miles tempo on Thursday.
    stevebrum said:
    relic245 said:

Yeah that’s the theory I’ve read and which makes sense. Those cold muscles don’t want to be stretched.

Running the first mile nice and slow also counts as a dynamic warm up for some people - might be worth considering if you’re not one for specific movements. 
    For warm up I start  jogging then increase up to planned pace over 1st mile. 

I've been really lazy at cooling down historically as my runs normally end on the doorstep and its just 2nd nature to stop my watch and go through the door. Trying to be a bit more disciplined with this now and have a few different stretches I do at the end of the run, doesn't necessarily feel any different immediately after but I notice it the next day!

edited January 2023
    No track tonight, it was a hill reps session instead.

1 mile WU jog > 20 minutes max effort running up the hill and recovery jog down > 1 mile CD
    Next for me will be a longish run on weekend at slower pace.

• 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    Bidley said:
    Speed work this morning in the pissing rain. Nice and short 5x 2min 7min/mile 2min recover. Felt great afterwards. Looking forward to 8 miles tempo on Thursday.
    That’s good work! I haven’t really done that sort of speed work for a couple of years. I tend to use park runs for speed but it’s not the same as intervals. 2 miles at 7 min/mile is hard! 

I used to do a mile race every so often until they stopped in lockdown. I think the best I ever did was about 6:35. I found it harder than running a marathon! I found I had to concentrate so hard to keep up the effort - let it slip for a few strides and you were looking at a 7:15 instead of a 6:45.

Did a tempo 10K yesterday and it will be a half tomorrow, or possibly 15 miles if I feel like it.  
  • I was doing the maths on this today - world record marathon pace (2 hours) is <5 min/mile for 26 consecutive miles! It's insane. I don't think I could run that pace for any more than about 200 yds.

I'm going to have a go at doing 1 mile racing against the clock. Target for 7 min/mile to begin with.
    26.2 said:
    Bidley said:
    That’s good work! I haven’t really done that sort of speed work for a couple of years. I tend to use park runs for speed but it’s not the same as intervals. 2 miles at 7 min/mile is hard! 

I used to do a mile race every so often until they stopped in lockdown. I think the best I ever did was about 6:35. I found it harder than running a marathon! I found I had to concentrate so hard to keep up the effort - let it slip for a few strides and you were looking at a 7:15 instead of a 6:45.

Did a tempo 10K yesterday and it will be a half tomorrow, or possibly 15 miles if I feel like it.  

Yeah I was only doing 2 minutes at that pace at a time - the plan I'm following will require me to do it in intervals of 1 mile, 2 miles, then 1 mile in a few weeks. I'll never sustain 7min/mile for that long, my fastest mile is 07:08. It is taxing on the brain as much as anything else for sure.

Good running! Enjoy the 15 tomorrow.

I was doing the maths on this today - world record marathon pace (2 hours) is <5 min/mile for 26 consecutive miles! It's insane. I don't think I could run that pace for any more than about 200 yds.

I'm going to have a go at doing 1 mile racing against the clock. Target for 7 min/mile to begin with.

Yeah when you think about it it seems superhuman doesn't it. I can't even reach that over 100m!

Best of luck with your interval. Remember to try and ramp up into it rather than a quick burst, otherwise you'll feel it the next day or so!
    Bidley said:
    26.2 said:
    Bidley said:

Yeah I was only doing 2 minutes at that pace at a time - the plan I'm following will require me to do it in intervals of 1 mile, 2 miles, then 1 mile in a few weeks. I'll never sustain 7min/mile for that long, my fastest mile is 07:08. It is taxing on the brain as much as anything else for sure.

Good running! Enjoy the 15 tomorrow.

I was doing the maths on this today - world record marathon pace (2 hours) is <5 min/mile for 26 consecutive miles! It's insane. I don't think I could run that pace for any more than about 200 yds.

Yeah when you think about it it seems superhuman doesn't it. I can't even reach that over 100m!

Best of luck with your interval. Remember to try and ramp up into it rather than a quick burst, otherwise you'll feel it the next day or so!
    Ah I see! I read it as 2 miles not 2 mins! But the 2 miles is coming soon.

I just looked at the best mile in 2022 at my running club - 4mins 43! 

edited January 2023
    Week 2 of c25k complete.  The w2 intervals have been easy enough that I've not really felt like they were pushing me though.  To keep things challenging, I've been finishing each session with a longer and/or faster run.  I stretched today's final interval from 90 seconds to 7 minutes. 

I don't think I'm going to find week 3 too tough.

Edit - just checked, the longest run in week 3 is 3 minutes.  Nothing to worry about.
    RedRabbit said:
    Week 2 of c25k complete.  The w2 intervals have been easy enough that I've not really felt like they were pushing me though.  To keep things challenging, I've been finishing each session with a longer and/or faster run.  I stretched today's final interval from 90 seconds to 7 minutes. 

I don't think I'm going to find week 3 too tough.

Edit - just checked, the longest run in week 3 is 3 minutes.  Nothing to worry about.
    If you’re finding it too easy, maybe have a look at the Nike Run Club app. It is free, has a 5k training plan and (and others) and is more customisable. You can do it in a shorter period and it offers you 5 runs a week but recommends at least 3.
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    4th Parkrun done - 31:44.  Different run this time due to flooding at my usual course. Really pleased that it seems to be a bit more comfortable each time and recovery much quicker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    9 miles for me today. Changed the screens on my watch to show HR zones and made a big effort to keep into Zone 3.
    Started of OK but the headwind and hills made keeping the HR down difficult, longest run and highest weekly mileage in nearly a year!

Keep it up everyone :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Brilliant work everyone - not easy staying strong with this wanky weather!

Just did my long run, 13 miles at a canter. Bit faster than last week, but still slower than I'm used to. Heavy on the old legs, especially given I've been adding squats into my strength training, so my legs are in bits to begin with!

And I missed the rain perectly - flash shower before I left, started pissing it down when I got my shoes off. So satisfying!
  • I also dodged the worst weather yesterday morning. Just about to put my trainers in and my wife pointed at the sideways rain out the window. I messaged my mate and said I was going for it anyway. Got a bit wet on the way to meet him but it stopped and I dried out but the end of it.

5.8 miles Which is more than I intended or expected. Pace was around 9 min/mile but I wasn't trying for anything. Just running, chatting, going where the path looked good. Nice.

Garmin watch won't sync with Connect or Strava so I feel cheated.
    Well done everyone. I did another half on Friday - a lot easier than the week before despite the wind. And a 10K today. 

This coming week I’m aiming at 2 10K, 1 or 2 5K and 15 miles on Friday. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Can anyone recommend any good online retailers?  I usually use sportshsoes.com .

Cheers

• bobblehat said:
    Can anyone recommend any good online retailers?  I usually use sportshsoes.com .

Cheers

For running shoes or other kit? For shoes, I hear they're good on selection and prices but make sure you know what you need - gait analysis etc.

For other kit, I had a good experience recently with Start Fitness and they have their own brand More Mile - https://startfitness.co.uk/
  • bobblehat said:

Cheers

Watching with interest.  I've racked up over 900km on my current "main" pair (Brooks Glycerine 19).  tbh they don't feel worn out so I'll keep them going for another month, but after that I'll be looking for replacements (likely going back to Brooks Ghost I think.)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now |  WTB: EQD Talons | Jazzmaster build thread
    Dragged myself out for a lunch time 5km, cold and not very enjoyable but now I feel good for doing it…