Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fretboard Running Thread 2023 - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fretboard Running Thread 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• It wasn't a great year for my running in 2022 - I got tripped by a dog and, in addition to other injuries, realised I'd broken a toe that doesn't seem to want to cure properly - it is still stiff and sometime numb. But I've done 2 days of 6.25k this week and I'm aiming for 25k per week. I'll start working on speed in the spring - but my nerve has gone: I don't want to fall over again so I don't think I'll be challenging you youngsters

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • d8md8m Frets: 2430
    First time back on a track in 2 years for club speed session tonight.

400m @ 5k pace with 30 seconds recovery 
    800m @ 10k pave with 60 seconds recovery

Alternating for 30 minutes.

Slowed down a bit towards the end, legs not been pushed that hard in a while.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    edited January 2023
    Got back into running a few months ago after a long layoff due to ITB issues. At my best  a few years ago I got up to half marathon distance but had to pretty much start from scratch. Started with the C25K as this worked for me when I first started running. This got me back up to running 8km comfortably , so my goal for the start of this year was to get back to a sub 30min 5k. Not a huge target for most but I'm about 2 stone overweight and 52 next month. I'm very much a jogger so have started doing some 400m interval sessions to get me out of my comfortable jogging mode. 
    Did my 3rd session speed of the year yesterday and hurt my back!  I've never hurt my back running so I assume its the probably just the extra weight and resultant poor form. Back to long slow runs for a while until its sorted.  
  • One of my goals this year is to help my wife with her goal of running more. I think she wants to do a Half Marathon in Autumn. Currently she doesn't run at all.

Yesterday afternoon I asked what her plans were for the evening. "None yet" was the reply. So we went out at 5:30pm and did a little route through our suburban township, probably only a mile but she got back and was pleased with herself. I was secretly pleased with myself too as I've not been running much.

I'm definitely feeling the inspiration in this thread to just run - don't worry about pace, or distance, just do frequent runs and the rest will come. Thank you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Did first run of the year yesterday. 5.8km in 40 mins. Well down on my performance from last summer :(
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    edited January 2023
    I'm interested to know what to expect with regards to recovery times between runs as a 48 year-old beginner? 

I'm currently doing a weekend 5km parkrun with a midweek 2.5km outing, with a combination of running and walking.  In the two and a bit weeks I've been running, I already feel like recovery time is improving but stiffness seems to be migrating to different areas now - including my knees a little. I'm trying to warm-up/down, but not sure I'm really doing it right or for long enough. 
  • @Bod ;
    I'm no expert but if you've only been running a few weeks I think the stiffness is just your body adjusting to the exercise. I'd expect that to pass after a couple of months, then you'll be able to really tell how well you recover.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    @Bod ; when I started out a couple of years back my knees would hurt for days. I took over a week off because it got too painful. But that gradually subsided and I only get pain now when I run more than I usually would. So I would put it down to just building strength in your joints rather than anything more sinister.

I don't really warm up or down (and I probably should), but for muscle pain a foam roller is good. As far as joints go, just listen to your body and it will subside eventually.

Give it another few weeks and you'll feel much better!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Did first run of the year yesterday. 5.8km in 40 mins. Well down on my performance from last summer
    ~ 11min miles. Sounds perfect for an easy pace and for what appears to be the first run in a while. Enjoy it! 
    Bod said:
    I'm interested to know what to expect with regards to recovery times between runs as a 48 year-old beginner? 

I'm currently doing a weekend 5km parkrun with a midweek 2.5km outing, with a combination of running and walking.  In the two and a bit weeks I've been running, I already feel like recovery time is improving but stiffness seems to be migrating to different areas now - including my knees a little. I'm trying to warm-up/down, but not sure I'm really doing it right or for long enough. 
    I think recovery time varies a lot depending on age overall fitness, previous activity etc. 

2-3 times a week seems enough running for just starting out - with a couple of days rest between.

Unless someone beats me to it I’ll put some links to warm ups and cool downs later. 

I always do static stretches after a run but I’m a bit less regimented about a dynamic warmup - but my first mile will be nice and slow if I haven’t warmed up at all.
    Just had my second key run of my marathon training. 1 mile easy, 4 miles tempo then 1 mile easy. Felt really strong and could've done more. I was doing 14-15 miles at a slightly slower pace leading up to Christmas so I feel like I made the right choice in skipping the first 6 weeks of this plan.

The biggest challenge will be the speed work - but isn't that always the way :)

Easy 12 miles on Saturday morning which I'm looking forward to.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Got an interval run in this afternoon after a month off.  I started up again in November last year and got a few 5km runs under my belt then got ill, then got ill again!  Was glad to get out but wasn't 100% so thought some intervals would be a better idea.  I'm aiming for the Manchester 10km in May, then hopefully my first half marathon later in the year.  I am overweight at the moment so need to work on that too.
  • Did first run of the year yesterday. 5.8km in 40 mins. Well down on my performance from last summer
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    Bidley said:
    Just had my second key run of my marathon training. 1 mile easy, 4 miles tempo then 1 mile easy. Felt really strong and could've done more. I was doing 14-15 miles at a slightly slower pace leading up to Christmas so I feel like I made the right choice in skipping the first 6 weeks of this plan.

The biggest challenge will be the speed work - but isn't that always the way :)

Easy 12 miles on Saturday morning which I'm looking forward to.
    Good work! I’m doing a half tomorrow, park run on Sat if it’s dry and 10K on Sunday. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Here you go @Bod ;

I haven’t got the exact links for what I do as I picked the ones from different web pages and videos. 

I’d find 4 or 5 ones that you really feel the benefit of and use them. The key message I’ve taken away is the dynamic warmup needs to be just that and the static stuff is only for after the run. I tend to do about 5-10 mins. 

Get the major muscles stretched out afterwards basically quads, calves, hamstring glutes and hips - I also like the standing ITB stretch. 

I haven’t had any knee problems or leg issues for a long time -
    basically since I started stretching. My back has me down but that’s only been after marathon training - I think that’s a time on feet/strength thing more than anything. I do separate back exercises and strength work now.

Also look at some core and strength work (if you don’t already) even if it’s just planks and body weight squats it’s worth doing. 

Warm Ups

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20865088/pre-run-warmup/

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/g20862002/dynamic-warmup-stretches/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks @stevebrum that's amazing.  Plenty to go for there.  
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    Did first run of the year yesterday. 5.8km in 40 mins. Well down on my performance from last summer
    If you got there once you can get there again. 
    Got an interval run in this afternoon after a month off.  I started up again in November last year and got a few 5km runs under my belt then got ill, then got ill again!  Was glad to get out but wasn't 100% so thought some intervals would be a better idea.  I'm aiming for the Manchester 10km in May, then hopefully my first half marathon later in the year.  I am overweight at the moment so need to work on that too.

Sounds like a solid plan. Not sure I'd do intervals as a first session back from illness but you do you :D how did you get on?
    26.2 said:

Good work! I’m doing a half tomorrow, park run on Sat if it’s dry and 10K on Sunday. 

You're an animal :D

And yet infinitely better performance than sitting around in your pants :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    STILL not managed a run yet, but went for a lunchtime walk to get some movement in. On top of eating MUCH better than I was before Christmas, and doing 100 pushups a day. It all helps. 

hopefully sneak a short run in at the weekend or if not, early next week. 

Bidley said:

Sounds like a solid plan. Not sure I'd do intervals as a first session back from illness but you do you :D how did you get on?
    26.2 said:

You're an animal :D
    Haha! The half was pretty grim - decent rhythm until about 16K then it got pretty hard. I need some more miles under my belt really. It will come. 1:54 was ok I guess. 

Rock and roll landmarks I ran past on my run today:

- Dave Gilmour’s houseboat
    - Charlie Chandler’s shop
    - Charlie on his bike 
    - the site of Teddington Studios
    - the site of the former Madingley Club, where the Beatles did a few photo shoots
    - Eel Pie Island 
    - Pete Townshend’s house on the Embankment in Twickenham 
    - The Barmy Arms, the site of the first public performance by the then Declan MacManus
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 474
    Day 2 of c25k done.  It should have been on Wednesday but some sort of bug (possibly covid) has had me stuck in bed the last 3 days.  Today was tough but I knew if I didn't get it done I'd risk losing all motivation for it and just not bother taking it any further.  Planning on doing day 3 tomorrow so I can get back on schedule next week.

Running a full 5km feels a long way off but I know I've done it before and more so there's no reason I can't do it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just back from my third parkrun, and it's the first time that I've managed to run the whole thing - 33:32 this time.  Really chuffed with myself.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bod said:
    Just back from my third parkrun, and it's the first time that I've managed to run the whole thing - 33:32 this time.  Really chuffed with myself.
    Nice work Bod! 
    7 miles this morning, trying to slow down a bit to increase the mileage but it was hard work on the legs as they were still feeling Wednesdays interval session. Going to aim for 8 next Saturday.

• First 5K of the year today, and since October too I think. 28 minutes. That's a good start back. Wife joined me for the first mile too, even with a hangover.
    edited January 2023
    Great work everybody! Good start to the year.

12 miles done, first long run of the training plan at planned pace +30sec. I thought it would be a piece of piss but christ, running slower is tough on the joints. Today was all about time on my feet and building endurance, so mission accomplished I guess.

Also I've worked out that the longest run of the plan is the same weekend as Cambridge Half - typical. I'll have to do some juggling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Didn’t do park run as it was raining hard. Felt bad about it all morning so I’ve just done a 10K - in the rain
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    edited January 2023
    Checking in to this thread, seems like fantastic motivation and keeping myself accountable. Just logged 4th 10km of the year so naturally started too keen/fast/heavy considering I'd had a 6 week layoff but managing to keep them at 50-53 mins. First runs I've ever done with a (smart)watch, I find running to, and monitoring, pace really difficult!!
    Enjoying the positive updates gents. Keep it going.  
    edited January 2023
    Bidley said:
     I thought it would be a piece of piss but christ, running slower is tough on the joints. 
    I find that when im trying to slow the pace I have a tendacy to bounce more, which does my knees no favours!

Well done on all the running this week everyone, not easy when the weather is so bad 
    Highest weekly mileage on Strava since middle of September for me so chuffed!