Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). John Cruz Custom Guitars - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

John Cruz Custom Guitars

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 365
    I know someone who went to vegas, Bought a lot of drugs and women didn't pay for them then he came back to england, the dealers were on a plane across the atlantic banging on his mum and dads door, if they didn't re-mortgagethe house they'd kill him. They re-mortgaged the house, I know someone else who did something similar and he killed himself. 
    He best go into hiding because people do things to get that kind of money back.
    So what you're basically saying is that John is 'Cruz'-ing for a bruising?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    What has all this Vegas gangster bollocks got to do with John Cruz, or have I missed something very obvious to the rest of you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    What has all this Vegas gangster bollocks got to do with John Cruz, or have I missed something very obvious to the rest of you?
    I think he’s suggesting John Cruz better be careful. In case ze Germans book a flight to visit John personally, and go medieval on him. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CHRISB50 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I think he’s suggesting John Cruz better be careful. In case ze Germans book a flight to go and visit John personally, and go medieval on him. 
    Thanks, it's good to know that the Vegas story is as irrelevant as it seemed.  Unless Proguitar.de really are tooling up as we speak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Philly_Q said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I think he’s suggesting John Cruz better be careful. In case ze Germans book a flight to go and visit John personally, and go medieval on him. 
    Thanks, it's good to know that the Vegas story is as irrelevant as it seemed.  Unless Proguitar.de really are tooling up as we speak.
    Indeed. 

As an aside, I’m not surprised they went bust with that headstock. 

It is absolutely awful! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    I've been trying to remember the name of the other Fender Custom Shop guy who went out on his own, and it just popped into my head... John Page.  He has/had a very different business model, with production outsourced to Japan (I think, although they may have switched to the USA now) and much more reasonably priced guitars.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been trying to remember the name of the other Fender Custom Shop guy who went out on his own, and it just popped into my head... John Page.  He has/had a very different business model, with production outsourced to Japan (I think, although they may have switched to the USA now) and much more reasonably priced guitars.
    Yep, different style operation entirely - he has almost no involvement in the day to day ops of the mass-prodiced stuff (now indeed USA, formerly Japan). He still runs a custom shop in Oregon though where he hand-builds stuff one at a time though to order. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    Philly_Q said:
    Didn’t Peter “Max” Baranet, he of the Max Les Paul do a disappearing act in 2011? I’m sure I read something around the time on a forum saying he had some unpleasant financial types looking for him. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    You are going to have to help me now as well - Who was the guy who built the guitar(s) for Robben Ford - Espirit style - Had his own company and I think for a while was part of the Premier Builders Guild
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Philly_Q said:
    You are going to have to help me now as well - Who was the guy who built the guitar(s) for Robben Ford - Espirit style - Had his own company and I think for a while was part of the Premier Builders Guild

Gene Baker?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 839
    Why a retailer would make advance payments to a new company of several hundred thousand euros is beyond me.
    A new company whose owner was tarnished from the off.
    With regards to risk, I just am astounded as to the decision making by the retailer here. It is insane to say the least.

Those figures suggest they would be funding the start up to a degree, yet the new companies experience and knowledge I think only went as far as guitar making in previous employment and not running a business. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Gene Baker?
    Yep.  Ronnie Montrose (RIP) was also using Baker guitars in his latter years.  Both Baker/B3 and John Page guitars have been available at Coda occasionally.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Was John Page the guy that worked there when the Custom Shop was first launched? I do like the look of his branded guitars.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    GoFish said:
    Was John Page the guy that worked there when the Custom Shop was first launched? I do like the look of his branded guitars.
    https://johnpageguitars.com/pages/about
    https://www.johnpageclassic.com/

(I'm not trying to sell you one ;) )
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:

Gene Baker?
    ta - related to Ma Baker ?
    She taught her four sons to handle their guns.  She never could cry, but she knew how to die.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Thanks @Philly_Q ; - "Co-Founder" no less!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    GoFish said:
    I’m sure there was another guy, a tall skinny dude with a beard, builds a downsized 335 type guitar 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    DrBob said:
    GoFish said:
    I’m sure there was another guy, a tall skinny dude with a beard, builds a downsized 335 type guitar 
    Michael Stevens....the other founder of the Custom Shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1261
    I’m still waiting for a Mexican version of Cruzs guitars. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    GuyR said:
    I’m still waiting for a Mexican version of Cruzs guitars. 
    So are Proguitar.de
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter