Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). John Cruz Custom Guitars - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

John Cruz Custom Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• nero1701 said:
    elstoof said:
    You've got to wonder how he became a “masterbuilder” in the first place
    It's likely easier to excel when there's a large organisation behind you. Once you branch out, you soon realise there's a lot of shit behind the scenes you never knew existed.

It's almost the DeLorean of the guitar world.
    The DeLorean was and is cool though. John Cruz? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    It’s a very, very loose term. Because of the glorified myth that fender have created about their custom shop all they need is someone’s (ANYONES) name next to “masterbuilder” and folk with £10k in their back pockets will form an orderly line. 

In short - marketing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    It's probably got very little to do with him being a masterbuilder or not, and much more to do with his inability to run a business.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited September 2023
    elstoof said:
    Seems like he is definitely a 'master' (sic) something, that's for sure.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    It's probably got very little to do with him being a masterbuilder or not, and much more to do with his inability to run a business.
    Where John Cruz failed, Ian Elson has succeeded.  Who'd have thunk it?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Masterbuilders are glorified customisers. They pick blanks and get someone else to run CNC machines etc. 

Hopefully he’s done in the guitar business
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Ooh, I'm imagining an unholy alliance now... the Injustice League...

"You build 'em John, I'll sell 'em.  On Facebook."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Ooh, I'm imagining an unholy alliance now... the Injustice League...

"You build 'em John, I'll sell 'em.  On Facebook."
    ...via a raffle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1555
    edited September 2023
    Christ, several hundred thousand Euros were sent as a deposit and the order only partly delivered, and what did arrive wasn't any good. Then just ignored most comms and got his lawyer to answer like a coward. Tosser.

From that link - http://www.proguitar.de/news.html

"17.09.2023: JOHN CRUZ

One of the biggest disappointments in my over 30-year career as a high-end dealer of guitars and amps, has been my very disappointing dealings with John Cruz after his surprising departure from Fender.

I made good faith advances of several hundred thousand Euro’s in 2021 for instruments to be made by his company John Cruz Customs Guitars, LLC.  Only a portion of those instruments were ever delivered, some of them with serious quality control problems.  As of last October, a sizeable number still remained un-delivered.    Of course, I have been reaching out to John during this entire experience, but most of those telephone calls and emails went unanswered.

I recently got an email from a lawyer representing John that informed me John’s company had gone out of business, disposed of all of its assets.  My deposit money still owing me was gone, and there was no hope of receiving that back nor any more of the guitars I had paid for two years ago.  

John did not have the courtesy to call me directly, but rather hid behind this lawyer.

I am done representing John Cruz guitars!

We no longer have any relationship with John or his Company."

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    tbh you’d have to be a bit of an idiot to send hundreds of thousands of euros as deposit - how many guitars is that? - to a startup brand with no reputation for deliving a reliable product, no idea whether the market will support the mind boggling price tag and no clue if you’ll be able to actually sell any
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    elstoof said:
    tbh you’d have to be a bit of an idiot to send hundreds of thousands of euros as deposit - how many guitars is that? - to a startup brand with no reputation for deliving a reliable product, no idea whether the market will support the mind boggling price tag and no clue if you’ll be able to actually sell any
    ... and to a guy with a seriously damaged reputation at that.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    They retailed for 6k minimum, the shop would buy them for around 1/3 so £2k right? You’d need 100 on order to get into several hundred thousand euros full price, so the deposit was for a couple of hundred guitars of an unknown quality that you’ve then got to try and sell? Sod that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    advances of several hundred thousand Euro’s
    Please ProGuitar, spend some of that money on a new website, one that doesn't look like it was made in 1999.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited September 2023
    This was so obviously going to happen I can't believe anyone in the actual guitar business would have touched them on anything other than a sale or return basis, let alone paid substantial deposits. The early examples were all pretty ugly, with a polarising headstock design AND they were heavy by high end strat standards. Then to add to that, he released as video tour of the workshop that reveals that a number of the staff were basically still learning their craft. All surmountable I suppose if as an individual he carried a high degree of personal charisma and goodwill.... oh hang on half the population who know who he is think he's a piece of shit and most of the others only knew who he was because they're Fender fanatics who'd never have a different name on the headstock.

Absolute madness but so predictable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bargain 
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    They retailed for 6k minimum, the shop would buy them for around 1/3 so £2k right? You’d need 100 on order to get into several hundred thousand euros full price, so the deposit was for a couple of hundred guitars of an unknown quality that you’ve then got to try and sell? Sod that
    It will have been more than £2k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701 said:
    elstoof said:
    It's likely easier to excel when there's a large organisation behind you. Once you branch out, you soon realise there's a lot of shit behind the scenes you never knew existed.

Was the context, John Delorean shone when working at GM, had GM £££ and boffins behind him.. Knew fuck all about running a car business.
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701 said:
    nero1701 said:
    elstoof said:

Was the context, John Delorean shone when working at GM, had GM £££ and boffins behind him.. Knew fuck all about running a car business.
    I see (didn’t intend comment in a negative/questioning your rationale by the way!). I’m of the position that JC was just another name employed by Fender’s excellent marketing department and used to seriously increase margins. I think the level of sophistication or seriousness of business that JC has was evident in a few interview videos that I saw of his. Lots of bravado, lots of personality, not a lot of substance. 
  • nero1701 said:
    nero1701 said:
    elstoof said:

I see (didn’t intend comment in a negative/questioning your rationale by the way!). I’m of the position that JC was just another name employed by Fender’s excellent marketing department and used to seriously increase margins. I think the level of sophistication or seriousness of business that JC has was evident in a few interview videos that I saw of his. Lots of bravado, lots of personality, not a lot of substance. 
    I know buddy, was further explaining as im shit at getting my point over ;-)
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 699
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    @elstoof Try £3600 a piece minimum 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And people complain that guitar prices are ridiculously high these days. Blame the people who buy them at these prices, not the people who sell them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    If £8k is considered excessive for a bolt-on does that mean it's  a reasonable price for a set-neck?
    I can't see any new guitar is worth anywhere near that unless it's made of gold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sassafras said:
    If £8k is considered excessive for a bolt-on does that mean it's  a reasonable price for a set-neck?
    I can't see any new guitar is worth anywhere near that unless it's made of gold.
    Come on, we all know every bolt-on is just two bits of wood screwed together.  No other work involved whatsoever, FACT.  None of them should be worth more than 400 quid.  A set-neck is in a whole other dimension.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Come on, we all know every bolt-on is just two bits of wood screwed together.  No other work involved whatsoever, FACT.  None of them should be worth more than 400 quid.  A set-neck is in a whole other dimension.
    LOL
  • I bet Cruz wishes he was more like Delorean and able to nip back in time.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • I know someone who went to vegas, Bought a lot of drugs and women didn't pay for them then he came back to england, the dealers were on a plane across the atlantic banging on his mum and dads door, if they didn't re-mortgagethe house they'd kill him. They re-mortgaged the house, I know someone else who did something similar and he killed himself. 
    He best go into hiding because people do things to get that kind of money back.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3674
    I know someone who went to vegas, Bought a lot of drugs and women didn't pay for them then he came back to england, the dealers were on a plane across the atlantic banging on his mum and dads door, if they didn't re-mortgagethe house they'd kill him. They re-mortgaged the house, I know someone else who did something similar and he killed himself. 
    I'd be somewhat surprised if Proguitar.de go down that route
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:

£450?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    I know someone who went to vegas, Bought a lot of drugs and women didn't pay for them then he came back to england, the dealers were on a plane across the atlantic banging on his mum and dads door, if they didn't re-mortgagethe house they'd kill him. They re-mortgaged the house, I know someone else who did something similar and he killed himself. 
    that's a pub story if I've ever heard one.
    The boys are headed to rural Tennessee even as I type.

Samuel L Jackson