Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss GX-100 modeller/ multi-fx? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss GX-100 modeller/ multi-fx?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    FFS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    FFS
    Why? :s
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 565
    CE1 said:
    Has anyone had chance to have a proper play around with one of these yet? Reviews look good and wondering about taking the plunge but real world reviews are always good.
    Liking mine. Had it for two weeks or so. Easy to use. 

Ditched the factory presets (easy to do). 

Good comments from the people I jam with - we play Eagles style stuff, so clean/slight break up. 

One should be with me tomorrow. I spent a lot of time checking out specs and reviews and I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 565
    edited May 2022
    It arrived today and first impressions are very positive. It takes a few minutes to work out what settings do what as you would expect and some things aren’t as clear as they could be (such as why you can’t ‘intialize’ on some patches). The amp simulations seem superb and it’s very easy to dial in the sound you want once you get your head around the settings menus. It would be useful if some of the effects would give more info (perhaps if you touch them once) as a couple of letters is not always enough to work out what they are but most are fairly obvious so it's only a minor issue.

Edit: had some more time to play with this today and more impressed all the time. You do need to put a bit of time in to get familiar with how it works but it is well worth doing. The hex block system works incredibly well, is clear and easy to understand. The touch screen helps with navigation but I think it would still work ok without. I like how you can pair effects to a single footswitch and the split pathway option works really well.
  • ... So what's the latest consensus? 
  • Anyone?

I find myself considering either a Gx-100 or a GT-1000-core... 
  • I've had my GX100 for a while now and I absolutely love it. By a healthy margin it's the best multi-fx I've ever owned or even tried. All of the amps are excellent but I find I rarely need anything other than Boss's own X amps as they really are superb. I also love the ability to have two different amps running simultaneously as that opens up loads of tonal possibilities. The effects are top drawer and it's so easy to get everything dialed in. The touchscreen works beautifully and it's the only time I haven't found myself needing to use the Editor. Using the unit itself is actually easier than the PC Editor! Obviously there are always things you might want to change or tweak, but I honestly can't think of any alternative I'd rather have. 
  • Thanks.

Are you using it as an all in one solution? 

I have two use cases, really - all in one solution, and as a traditional FX unit into a tube amp. 
  • For me, it's all in one. This is partly because it's a hell of a lot more convenient, partly because it's less for me to carry, and partly because I see no real advantage in using a tube amp. You get an element of tube warmth but does it really make up for all the negatives? Not for me. 99.9% of your audience won't care and if you run a silent stage to make your overall sound easier to manage, the tubes are never run hard enough to make a real difference. At home I just use headphones so I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone. The effects on the GX100 are fantastic, but if you're not using the amp models, you're missing out on some great tones.

It's horses for courses I suppose but I prefer to use it for everything. I have no desire at all to ever bother with a tube amp again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm still really happy with my GT-1000 (full fat, not core) which is the same effects and models as the GX-100. It does absolutely everything I need it to and the sounds are fantastic. If it got stolen, I'd buy another.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    I've the GT 1000 Core - still love it. Through iLoud monitors and the sounds are superb for me at home. The X Amps are great but even the models of "real amps" are excellent. 
  • I've had the GX-100 for a while now and it sounds excellent and is easy to use.

I had a Helix LT before that but there were just too many options for me and I spent more time fiddling with it than actually playing.

I've also just picked up an IR-200 as I miss using 'ordinary' pedals. To my ears the IR-200 sounds better than the GX-100 for some reason, maybe because there's less going on with it or maybe the IR's are just better.

I always thought my HX Stomp sounded better than the LT too.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    For me, it's all in one. This is partly because it's a hell of a lot more convenient, partly because it's less for me to carry, and partly because I see no real advantage in using a tube amp. You get an element of tube warmth but does it really make up for all the negatives? Not for me. 99.9% of your audience won't care and if you run a silent stage to make your overall sound easier to manage, the tubes are never run hard enough to make a real difference. At home I just use headphones so I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone. The effects on the GX100 are fantastic, but if you're not using the amp models, you're missing out on some great tones.

It's horses for courses I suppose but I prefer to use it for everything. I have no desire at all to ever bother with a tube amp again.
    Still much happier with the GX100 than the Amplifire? I'm considering following suit.
  • NelsonP said:
    For me, it's all in one. This is partly because it's a hell of a lot more convenient, partly because it's less for me to carry, and partly because I see no real advantage in using a tube amp. You get an element of tube warmth but does it really make up for all the negatives? Not for me. 99.9% of your audience won't care and if you run a silent stage to make your overall sound easier to manage, the tubes are never run hard enough to make a real difference. At home I just use headphones so I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone. The effects on the GX100 are fantastic, but if you're not using the amp models, you're missing out on some great tones.

Still much happier with the GX100 than the Amplifire? I'm considering following suit.
    Absolutely, yes!!! Unless Atomic were to make some drastic changes to their modelers, I wouldn't even begin to consider switching back. I always thought the Marshall amp models on the Atomic were superb but if they're any better than the GX100 at all, the difference is marginal at best. Effects on the Marshall are much better but the real benefit of the GX100 is it's ease of use. Creating a good preset on the Atomic required endless research and tweaking as there were far too many things you had to adjust. The Boss is child's play in comparison. You spend a hell of a lot more time playing guitar with the GX100 instead of tweaking presets and it isn't even that much bigger. The GX100 is a genuinely 'all in one' option, which the Atomic was never close to being. 

I stuck with Atomic for as long as I did because compared to Boss and Line6, their amp models were noticeably better. I think that's still true compared to the Helix, but not the Boss AIRD amps. I haven't even felt the need to use IRs yet as the matched cabs are so good. I've bought presets from Glenn DeLaunne and Fremen but my favourite preset is still the one I created myself in just a few minutes. I honestly have no regrets at all about making the change.
  • I’m quite tempted to get one of these at some point (once my credit card cools down), both as a 4cm multi fx for the JCM800, but also for headphone practice/play along using the plugin Bluetooth streamer doodad. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited November 2022
    I've also just picked up an IR-200 as I miss using 'ordinary' pedals. To my ears the IR-200 sounds better than the GX-100 for some reason, maybe because there's less going on with it or maybe the IR's are just better.
    Would you say the difference is enough to go for the IR over the GX? I don't use many fx so GX is possibly overkill, though it's nice to have everything in one unit. I've thought all the IR-200 demos sounded noticeably better than anything I've heard from the GX or GT series too. Tom Quayle's GX100 demo and Glenn Delaune's presets are the only good sounds I've heard from the GX whereas even Anderton's made the IR sound good imo.

I'm trying direct to PA at my next gig (with a Captor X rather than a modeller), if I like the feel of no live amp on stage I'm thinking of going for a modeller to keep things simple. Have tried Line 6 stuff enough to know it's not for me (otherwise I'd get a Pod Go) so Boss seems the next decent affordable system without going budget brand.
  • TTBZ said:
    Would you say the difference is enough to go for the IR over the GX? I don't use many fx so GX is possibly overkill, though it's nice to have everything in one unit. I've thought all the IR-200 demos sounded noticeably better than anything I've heard from the GX or GT series too. Tom Quayle's GX100 demo and Glenn Delaune's presets are the only good sounds I've heard from the GX whereas even Anderton's made the IR sound good imo.

I'm trying direct to PA at my next gig (with a Captor X rather than a modeller), if I like the feel of no live amp on stage I'm thinking of going for a modeller to keep things simple. Have tried Line 6 stuff enough to know it's not for me (otherwise I'd get a Pod Go) so Boss seems the next decent affordable system without going budget brand.
    I’ll know more later in the week when I’ve tried my tweaked IR presets at practice…

Through headphones it sounds better to my ears. 

• Any GT100 users here who've gone on to get the GX100?

From sounds I've heard I'm wondering if AIRD is really COSM with better cab sims. The fact the parameters are identical makes me even more suspicious. Is there a big difference with the effects quality between the two or is it just the amps and the user interface that's really different?