Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss GX-100 modeller/ multi-fx? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss GX-100 modeller/ multi-fx?

What's Hot

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited March 2022
    The high gain tones sounded a little off to me in the Andertons demo. Typical modell-y, slightly thin, overly compressed, lacking dynamics etc. Was listening with headphones to give it the best shot, but youtube demos not that reliable an indicator etc...

Feature wise I think they nailed it. And the effects will be excellent. I'm sure more amps will come but how many do you need? 16 irs onboard is enough for me. That avoids a huge rabbit hole.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    I'm tempted for the effects alone - been thinking about which multi-fx would be worth getting and will be going into a decent amp, so no real need for amp modelling for me (although always useful to have for various reasons)

If I do use the amps, a smaller number of great sounding ones is more useful to me than 300 slight variations a la Line 6. 

Horses for courses though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I watched a bit of the Brett Kingman video and it was very much this sounds like a multi FX and Boss can't make it out of the 80s. Which isn't to say it's not better than that in reality or that Brett was having user error but in terms of YT there are £50 boxes that can sound like that. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited March 2022
    tekbow said:
    Having had a look at the paramount guide vs the 1000 series, the gx100 has 24bit AD/DA vs the 32 of the 1000, and half the sampling rate at 48khz.

This could explain some of the poor sounding clips so far. Waiting for some comparison clips to see how it stacks up compared to the GT and see what people think of the feel in comparison. Hopefully Leon Todd will do a proper run through of the amp models through his IRs as I thought his GT1000 tones were the best I've heard out of it.

Out of all the Boss stuff I've seen, the most consistently decent clips across all YouTube channels have been with the IR-200 so far. I guess having all that power dedicated to just amp models must make a difference somehow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
    TTBZ said:
    tekbow said:
    Having had a look at the paramount guide vs the 1000 series, the gx100 has 24bit AD/DA vs the 32 of the 1000, and half the sampling rate at 48khz.

This could explain some of the poor sounding clips so far. Waiting for some comparison clips to see how it stacks up compared to the GT and see what people think of the feel in comparison. Hopefully Leon Todd will do a proper run through of the amp models through his IRs as I thought his GT1000 tones were the best I've heard out of it.

Out of all the Boss stuff I've seen, the most consistently decent clips across all YouTube channels have been with the IR-200 so far. I guess having all that power dedicated to just amp models must make a difference somehow.

Obviously I meant parameter guide.

Sorry, typo and autocorrect did the rest.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445
    TTBZ said:
    tekbow said:

This could explain some of the poor sounding clips so far.
    I would be very surprised if anybody could tell the difference between sample 48 and 96 sample rates, especially via youtube at 44k.

Perhaps it’s less DSP intensive modelling or just nobody has had chance to dial it in yet.

I’m half interested, could swap my stomp for one and have a few more buttons to work with.  But the effects would beed to be amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    TTBZ said:
    tekbow said:

This could explain some of the poor sounding clips so far.
    I would be very surprised if anybody could tell the difference between sample 48 and 96 sample rates, especially via youtube at 44k.

Perhaps it’s less DSP intensive modelling or just nobody has had chance to dial it in yet.

I’m half interested, could swap my stomp for one and have a few more buttons to work with.  But the effects would beed to be amazing.
    I think there are reasons to use higher res audio for DSP calculations but anything beyond 44/16 is outside the audible range
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    I've not heard the GT1000 but I am curious to hear and feel the AIRD system that reportedly gives a much more amp in the room feel. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • There is no mention of a looper. It would be a bit a bit disappointing if that is one of the things they have cut to make that price point. 
    edited March 2022
    There is no mention of a looper. It would be a bit a bit disappointing if that is one of the things they have cut to make that price point. 
    Same 19s looper as in GT1000.  Same number of amp models but GX100 appears to have more fx. It has 2 routing options and up to 15 blocks v 3 routing options with up to 24 blocks in GT1000.

The GT1000 has fx always on which I'm told make patch and fx switching virtually instantaneous. GX100 doesnt work this way so don't know how the GX100 switching will compare here. 

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Boss revamp the GT1000 with more intuitive UI and touch screen in the very near future. 

I would also be surprised if manufacturers like Mooer and Line 6 also didn't have some similar new touchscreen units in the works for 2022.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited March 2022
    Glenn Delaune has a video showing off the patch switching and it seems pretty seamless to me, I think he does say it is as well. The way he has his patches set up seems pretty good as well, really making good use of all the footswitches. Still haven't heard any clips that don't have that weird cocked wah quality to the drive tones though and nobody is using the fx tastefully!

Re the sample rate thing yeah I couldn't tell the difference in the final output between 44.1 or 48 output sample rate for instance, my thought was does a higher sample and bit rate going IN to the processor allow it to process the guitar signal more accurately and therefore end up sounding or feeling more realistic as a result. That seems to be the opinion of people using the GT1000. Never played one so I can't say one way or the other - all I know is I was never 100% happy with the feel of Line 6 stuff. It was better with the oversampling update but I still got a better feel out of other plugins.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I watched the Andertons video halfheartedly but if I’m not mistaken he was switching between two amps which seems a good advantage over the Pod Go.
    There is no mention of a looper. It would be a bit a bit disappointing if that is one of the things they have cut to make that price point. 
    I always wonder why a full featured looper isn’t ever included.  A few mins of recording, at least 2 loops for verse/chorus.  I’d be all over a reasonably sized multi that did that.  They are always token efforts when they are included.  Perhaps they take too much system resource.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    I always wonder why a full featured looper isn’t ever included.  A few mins of recording, at least 2 loops for verse/chorus.  I’d be all over a reasonably sized multi that did that.  They are always token efforts when they are included.  Perhaps they take too much system resource.
    The Plethora X5 is the same. It does have a looper, but it's like the original Ditto - single button operation and no ability to save loops you create for other uses elsewhere. There is the ability to run more than one instance at a time (5 effects slots) but they don't synchronise and you'd need several feet to pause the verse loop whilst starting the chorus one at the same time - although you could do that with a MIDI controller. 

Which is why I'm using a Ditto+... 
    edited March 2022
    I watched the Andertons video halfheartedly but if I’m not mistaken he was switching between two amps which seems a good advantage over the Pod Go.
    The GX100 let's you switch between 2 amp models or you can use both together.  

My Vox Tonelab SE, that came out in 2004 also has A/B amp switching. I can have two different amp models and two different cab models in the same patch which is a really cool feature that's invaluable for gigging (can't have both at same time though).  The fx and fx settings have to be shared though so it's not fully dual routing...But hey, it was way ahead of its time when it came out 18yrs ago. 
    Re GX100 looper I believe its 38s mono, 19s stereo. 

I'm mulling one of these over, rather than 'upgrading' my HXStomp with a midi footswitch and expression pedal

The UI looks good with the touch screen and bluetooth appeals.  

I'd just need to know what the effects are like, I'd use mainly as an effects only board, on my pedalboard with analog gain, with the occasional modeling use at home only.  But tbh, I can still get native for $99 so would probably keep my foot in with Helix at home that way.

Hopefully they are the 200 and 500 series effects.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    I think its the same engine as the GT1000 with a lower sample rate? Not sure what tangible impact that will have on the effects but pretty sure they are the 500 series.

I'm torn between giving it a whirl or getting another HX Stomp. 
    Chuffola said:
    I think its the same engine as the GT1000 with a lower sample rate? Not sure what tangible impact that will have on the effects but pretty sure they are the 500 series.

I'm guessing the architecture is largely based on the GT1000 although the fx always on in GT1000 vs GX100 fx select is a design difference.  Clearly the GT1000 is more powerful e.g. 3 routing options and up to 24 blocks, but interestingly  a couple of YouTube reviews from folk with both have indicated they prefer the GX100 tonally. These things are always highly subjective of course.

The touch screen certainly seems to be a big winner and having watched Glenn Delaune's very good video, it looks as if the GX100 is pretty easy to use.  I also like that every footswitch is fully assignable/ programmable which really helps with versatility. 

But I didn't know about the ability to kick in e.g. a boost, amp gain etc via the same footswitch, ie where it has a double function, which seems a really cool feature. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    Voxman said:
    Chuffola said:

I'm guessing the architecture is largely based on the GT1000 although the fx always on in GT1000 vs GX100 fx select is a design difference.  Clearly the GT1000 is more powerful e.g. 3 routing options and up to 24 blocks, but interestingly  a couple of YouTube reviews from folk with both have indicated they prefer the GX100 tonally. These things are always highly subjective of course.

The touch screen certainly seems to be a big winner and having watched Glenn Delaune's very good video, it looks as if the GX100 is pretty easy to use.  I also like that every footswitch is fully assignable/ programmable which really helps with versatility. 

But I didn't know about the ability to kick in e.g. a boost, amp gain etc via the same footswitch, ie where it has a double function, which seems a really cool feature. 

The ASSIGN function which is on pretty much all of the BOSS multi-FX is their best-kept secret. On the GT-1000 you can adjust up to 16 parameters at once with one press of a button. You could completely re-EQ an amp, turn FX on/off, adjust modulation parameters or delay times. Any individual parameter in any single effect of the entire chain can be adjusted. It's insanely powerful. Combined with gapless patch switching (not sure of the GX100 has this) means it's a massively flexible unit.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275

I'm mulling one of these over, rather than 'upgrading' my HXStomp with a midi footswitch and expression pedal

The UI looks good with the touch screen and bluetooth appeals.  

I'd just need to know what the effects are like, I'd use mainly as an effects only board, on my pedalboard with analog gain, with the occasional modeling use at home only.  But tbh, I can still get native for $99 so would probably keep my foot in with Helix at home that way.

Hopefully they are the 200 and 500 series effects.
    Owned the gt1000 and stomp, imo the gt is better  effects quality. I think the gx100 is the same effects as the gt
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I'm assuming the lower sample rate won't affect the sound, but it might increase the latency a little bit.
    I'm assuming the lower sample rate won't affect the sound, but it might increase the latency a little bit.
    According to Glenn's video, switching is instant with no latency.
  • Well, I'm sold on this and I'm getting one!

I had been looking at a GT-1000 as I think the tones in the AIRD Boss units are simply better than anything I can get from a Helix or Headrush, especially for the Marshall tones I prefer. My only quibble with the GT-1000 was the price as it's a lot of money for what I'd be using it for, which is probably just home use. I don't need loads of amp models, just really good amp models. frankly, if it has a good clean, crunch and high gain, I'm happy and the X-models will do that really well without having to consider anything else. I don't need to run hundreds of effects simultaneously so if I can toggle between two amp settings and turn on a number of effects for a solo using one footswitch, I'm good to go. The GX-100 also looks easier to use than the GT-1000 and at considerably less money, it's a complete no brainer for me. Can't wait to get hold of it.
    edited March 2022
    Well, I'm sold on this and I'm getting one!

I had been looking at a GT-1000 as I think the tones in the AIRD Boss units are simply better than anything I can get from a Helix or Headrush, especially for the Marshall tones I prefer. My only quibble with the GT-1000 was the price as it's a lot of money for what I'd be using it for, which is probably just home use. I don't need loads of amp models, just really good amp models. frankly, if it has a good clean, crunch and high gain, I'm happy and the X-models will do that really well without having to consider anything else. I don't need to run hundreds of effects simultaneously so if I can toggle between two amp settings and turn on a number of effects for a solo using one footswitch, I'm good to go. The GX-100 also looks easier to use than the GT-1000 and at considerably less money, it's a complete no brainer for me. Can't wait to get hold of it.
    If you do, I'd be very interested in your user feedback (after the inevitable honeymoon period!).

I do like my Pod Go but I miss the ability to A/B change between two different amp and cab models in the same patch, which is something I can do with my Vox Tonelab SE. The TLSE can't do 2 amps at once though which I think the GX100 can do?

I concur that the price of the GT1000 and it's more awkward UI make it less attractive, at least for me, than the GX100 but as I already have a Pod Go and a TLSE, I'm not immediately looking to dive in and buy another mfx unit.  Not least because I think during 2022 we'll be seeing some new MFX being introduced including a possible successor to the GT1000 with touch screen.  

From a live gigging perspective, I still prefer the immediacy of real knobs and rotary selectors in my TLSE.  Even though it's old tech with no IR facilities and way more limited options, it still sounds good and I don't get distracted by DSP limit grey outs. 

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    Anyone know if this unit would double up as an acoustic DI/Preamp? I've been using my HX stomp for this and while it works ok, I'm not 100% happy with it.
    Been thinking about changing to this for smaller gigs, if it also doubles up as working for my acoustic, it might just be a winner.
    edited April 2022
    Voxman said:
    Chuffola said:

The ASSIGN function which is on pretty much all of the BOSS multi-FX is their best-kept secret. On the GT-1000 you can adjust up to 16 parameters at once with one press of a button. You could completely re-EQ an amp, turn FX on/off, adjust modulation parameters or delay times. Any individual parameter in any single effect of the entire chain can be adjusted. It's insanely powerful. Combined with gapless patch switching (not sure of the GX100 has this) means it's a massively flexible unit.
    Similar to the Pod Go re foot-switch assignments, although Pod Go has snapshots too (4 per patch). Each preset can have up to 64 parameters assigned to Snapshots which is a great feature.
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 40
    edited April 2022
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    Chuffola said:

Similar to the Pod Go re foot-switch assignments, although Pod Go has snapshots too (4 per patch). Each preset can have up to 64 parameters assigned to Snapshots which is a great feature.
    I think snapshots is why i stick with the helix it is just easy to make rhythm and lead patch , not sure if the boss GX100 has this,
     with the pod go i wish you could change amps in the snapshots that would be even better .
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1569
    I wouldn't be suprised If a future GT update addressed some of the functionality discrepancies between 1000 and GX100.

The GT1000 is very powerful, more than enough to pull off user defined blocks (say multiple reverbs) etc.
    edited April 2022
    The more I look at the GX100, the more I dislike that dreadful dull, uninspiring hexagon layout in the touch screen. Boss really should have done better.  I'm sure it's a really good MFX but those hexagons are a non-descript sexless turn off ....new gear like this should have a wow factor where the screen looks good and inspires you to use it...that doesn't.