Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss GX-100 modeller/ multi-fx? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss GX-100 modeller/ multi-fx?

What's Hot

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    Voxman said:
    The more I look at the GX100, the more I dislike that dreadful dull, uninspiring hexagon layout in the touch screen. Boss really should have done better.  I'm sure it's a really good MFX but those hexagons are a non-descript sexless turn off ....new gear like this should have a wow factor where the screen looks good and inspires you to use it...that doesn't. 
    Headrush do the screen graphics so much better. You'd think that Boss peeps hadn't looked at one when thinking about their own version. Or maybe they just decided not to copy it and plough their own furrow.  I agree, it's not very inspiring, is it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited April 2022
    Voxman said:
    The more I look at the GX100, the more I dislike that dreadful dull, uninspiring hexagon layout in the touch screen. Boss really should have done better.  I'm sure it's a really good MFX but those hexagons are a non-descript sexless turn off ....new gear like this should have a wow factor where the screen looks good and inspires you to use it...that doesn't. 
    Headrush do the screen graphics so much better. You'd think that Boss peeps hadn't looked at one when thinking about their own version. Or maybe they just decided not to copy it and plough their own furrow.  I agree, it's not very inspiring, is it? 
    Yup, the Headrush touch screen looks good and even the Zoom G11 screen is way better aesthetically than the GX100.

No matter how much I like the GX100 specs, I'll stick with my Pod Go for now. It may not be touchscreen, but it's colourful, clear, and inspiring to use. In fact the screen was one of the key features that encouraged me to by it and was one of the reasons I didn't go Helix LT with its insipid outline only block depictions that are an eye strain to look at. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Voxman said:
    I see this complaint about the GX-100 a lot and I still can't see why it annoys or disappoints people so much. The Headrush may be a bit more like your phone in terms of graphics but I'm after guitar tones, not a phone. Is it easy to read? Yes. Is it easy to use? Yes. Does it give you fantastic amp tones and effects? Yes. In terms of guitar tones and ease of use, I find it better than anything from Headrush or Line 6, so if the display looks slightly more old-fashioned, I really don't care. It's the sounds that inspires me to use it, not the graphics on the screen.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2022
    Doesn't annoy but does disappoint. However I concur it's about whethero it gives the tones you want. 

If I was buying a new MFX and didn't already have a Pod Go, regardless I would certainly go GX100 because of its spec, dual routing, processing power, touch screen (even with the hexagons) build quality, realistic pricing etc. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Hexagons wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. If it’s easy to drag and drop who cares? The sounds and price are key - for me anyway
    edited April 2022
    Chuffola said:
    Hexagons wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. If it’s easy to drag and drop who cares? The sounds and price are key - for me anyway
    Sure. It's just a personal view on aesthetics and it wouldn't stop me buying it if I was looking for a new generation mfx. 

• GuitarGuitar were showing these as in stock yesterday so I ordered one. Should be here tomorrow. 

Looking forward to trying this after the disappointment of the Iridium last week. 

• Would love to hear your thoughts on it once you've had a chance to play around on it.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    Yup, the Headrush touch screen looks good and even the Zoom G11 screen is way better aesthetically than the GX100.

No matter how much I like the GX100 specs, I'll stick with my Pod Go for now. It may not be touchscreen, but it's colourful, clear, and inspiring to use. In fact the screen was one of the key features that encouraged me to by it and was one of the reasons I didn't go Helix LT with its insipid outline only block depictions that are an eye strain to look at. 
    The “insipid” outlines allow you to create some pretty impressive signal paths that the Pod Go could only dream of. The performance view is the same as the Pod Go.

Having owned a Pod Go, which was great, and now a Helix LT, I’d go with the LT all day long.
    edited April 2022
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:

The “insipid” outlines allow you to create some pretty impressive signal paths that the Pod Go could only dream of. The performance view is the same as the Pod Go.

Having owned a Pod Go, which was great, and now a Helix LT, I’d go with the LT all day long.

Sure, it's a more powerful and sophisticated unit.  But physical size and weight were huge considerations for me.

My den/ office/ gear room is quite small, about 7ft 6" by 11ft. I have a fitted desk and fitted cupboard/ guitar rack, and good quality office chair. I also have a heavy duty shelf for guitars.  My amps are on plinths that allows me to slide in and out the VC12 floor controller for my AD120VTX Valvetronic, Boss BCB60 pedal board, and my mini fx board for the Valvetronix. 

As my amps/ mfx/ guitar collection has grown I'm now pretty much maxed out space wise. Even my acoustic has to live in our TV room. 

Whilst I've designed it to make maximum use of space, it means I have very little useable floor space.  The Pod Go is compact enough so that I can leave it on the floor.  The Helix LT is considerably larger and that means it's much more awkward to leave on the floor.  

Gigging wise I have a Vox Tonelab SE that is a big, heavy unit. I also have a Vox Tonelab LE.  With power supply overall size and weight of the TLSE is very similar to Helix floor, and TLLE is not far off Helix LT.  These have to be kept in gig bags as I have insufficient floor space to keep these out when not being used.

I can put Pod Go in a padded lap top bag with cables, PSU and 2xBespeco switches, and carry it with a guitar and a Headrush FRFR108 in two hands, one carrying trip. 

So having 2 bigger heavier MFX units already, I absolutely did not want another big heavy MFX unit.  So the reason I've gone into this detail is to explain that the factors affecting my decision to buy Pod Go as my daily 'go to' MFX was very carefully considered, together with my 'must have' needs rather than 'nice to haves but not essential' features.

What's been happening more recently in the MFX market is a move away from Helix size units, and a need for more compact, lighter MFX units with good floor control.  These include Pod Go, Zoom G6, Mooer GE300, and the new Boss GX100 albeit the latter is quite long although narrower.   Although each has USPs, none of these are as full featured as Helix LT. Of these only GX100 has dual amp routing. 

Helix came out in 2015, 7yrs ago, and thats 'old' in MFX modelling terms. So I'm pretty sure Line 6 is already hard at work designing a new generation of MFX units and competitors are doing similar. So once something more compact comes out that's significantly better than Pod Go, then I might look to to upgrade.

So whilst its great that you're enjoying Helix LT it simply doesn't fit my current needs. 

• guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 446
    edited April 2022
    So have had about an hour with the GX so far..

- It’s about 1/2 the size & weight of a Helix. 

- It’s just as easy to programme on the unit as a Helix, just different, and it doesn’t take long to get to grips with it. I’ve not downloaded the Mac software for it yet & was holding off ordering the Bluetooth adapter until I know if it’s staying or not. 

- There’s none of the unwanted hiss/noise issues that I had with the Iridium. 

- The factory presets are awful, as expected with any unit I think - fortunately you can set it up to only cycle through user presets.

- I’ve created two presets from scratch so far - a twin-amp setup using AC30’s that sounds virtually the same as the M Britt preset on my Helix that has been my go-to sound for a while, and an ‘acoustic’ preset for the acoustic models on my Variax. The Transparent model is better for this than the mic pre-amp in the Helix, it sounds clearer and louder. 

- There are less amps & fx than Helix. This could be good or bad depending on your preference. I’m hoping that less options means less time faffing & more time playing. 

- If you have your pedal board on the screen it’s easy to switch between memory & manual mode but the issue is footswitch naming - if you have two OD’s assigned to FS1 & FS2, they are labelled as OD1 & OD2 so you need to remember which are which. The same applies to memory mode - FS1-4 are labelled as that, not with the preset name. There maybe a way to change this but I’ve not had time to look. 

- It’s easier to assign functions to foot switches on the Helix with the capacitive touch feature. 

- The GX is quieter than the Helix in terms of output volume with the physical control on max but I think there’s a way to turn up the overall level in the menus - there is, it was set as though output into an amp not a mixer/frfr.

Looking forward to trying it loud tomorrow night through my Headrush frfr. 
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    Managed to grab one from Guitar Guitar - got it on a 30 day Klarna, so will have a looksee at it and compare to my HX Stomp before deciding if it's a keeper.

Initial thoughts are it's very well made, and egonomic. I can already see it being a good tool for pub gigs where I don't want to take my full board and heavy amp.

First downside is the presets sound like absolute pap, so will have to build some of my own and dive into the usability before I can make a fair judgement.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

Thinking about one of these again, how are people getting on with them?

Looking for something with a bit more control than my HX Stomp, I really liked the LT but it’s too big and heavy so looking for the halfway house.

Looking for something with a bit more control than my HX Stomp, I really liked the LT but it’s too big and heavy so looking for the halfway house.
    I'm on the GX100 Facebook page and feedback has been very favourable. Although it has significantly less amp and fx models, the ability to customise all the footswitches, touch screen,  parallel routing, up to 15 items in chain with no fixed blocks, AIRD, and typical Boss build quality with a sub £500 price, seem to be going over very well.

Voxman said:

I'm on the GX100 Facebook page and feedback has been very favourable. Although it has significantly less amp and fx models, the ability to customise all the footswitches, touch screen,  parallel routing, up to 15 items in chain with no fixed blocks, AIRD, and typical Boss build quality with a sub £500 price, seem to be going over very well.

Sounds good.  Not too bothered about amp models, only ever use one on the stomp, only need one good one.  
    Liking mine so far. 

Have recreated two of my favourite AC30 patches from my Helix and they sound just as good to me, band mates couldn’t tell the difference. 

Heal down on the volume pedal to engage the tuner is a good feature. 

Less amps & fx but how many variations on the same thing do you need..

In memory mode, it would be good to be able to label the 1-4 switches with the patch names. You also don’t seem to be able to allocate parameters to the expression pedal (apart from volume or Wah) but maybe I haven’t found it yet. Tbh I never found this particularly intuitive on the helix. 

It’s worth getting the Bluetooth adapter too as editing on my iPhone is easier than editing on the unit - this is just for patch editing though as switching between patches by Bluetooth comes with significant lag on the iPhone, although instant switching on the unit so the phone is just playing catch up. 

Next stop is the aird models - the juggernaut is vey good..

• When I get mine, I intend to streamline the process considerably by simply purchasing the 'amp simulations' and 'SLO-100' presets from Glenn DeLaune. That lot should give me all I need from clean to high gain as well as good quality custom IR's, so all I have to do is set up the unit itself how I want to use it. His presets are very high quality and I believe that Fremen is also working on a preset pack for the GX-100 that uses custom IR's. Getting great tones from a GX-100 really shouldn't be a problem.

My only reservation is size, I’d like to integrate with my pedalboard but it’s that bit too big I think.

Looking at other options like the Headrush MX5, but everything has a compromise and the Headrush needs its own PSU, which is a pain.

• That simply isn't a problem for me as when I decided to switch to multi-fx once the quality was good enough, I went all-in. I use multi-fx for all of my amp tones and all of my effects, so the GX-100 is literally all I need. The quality is good enough now that I can't imagine needing to integrate any additional pedals, but even if you do, I can't think of anything else out there that will give you that much functionality in a smaller package. If you can live without the expression pedal and audio interface, you could try the Atomic AmpliFire as an alternative.  
    That simply isn't a problem for me as when I decided to switch to multi-fx once the quality was good enough, I went all-in. I use multi-fx for all of my amp tones and all of my effects, so the GX-100 is literally all I need. The quality is good enough now that I can't imagine needing to integrate any additional pedals, but even if you do, I can't think of anything else out there that will give you that much functionality in a smaller package. If you can live without the expression pedal and audio interface, you could try the Atomic AmpliFire as an alternative.  
    I did go all in for a while with the Helix LT.  Worked really good, but I missed some single pedals so decided on the hybrid route (HX Stomp and separate pedals).  I still prefer my analog drive pedals to the digital ones although the Helix stuff was pretty good, but in all honesty I probably could go all digital.

• I used to use separate drive pedals too as the digital ones were too artificial sounding, but the technology is moving fast and I find them much better now. I also find I don't use them quite the same way on a multi-fx. Digital versions are ok at tightening things up and adding a little additional gain to the amp, but I don't like them for adding distortion to a clean amp. I used to do that a lot with a valve amp but I've never found it to be effective in a multi-fx. I prefer to simply change amp model on a multi-fx. I found it easier once I stopped looking at the individual components as amp models and pedals, but simply different ways of getting distortion. I think that's why I like the Boss approach with idealised digital amps. I really don't care if what I use sounds the same as any other amp or not, as long as it sounds good to my ears. That switch in approach has also meant I use models of drive pedals differently.

Perhaps you'll get some good results with multiple drives on the GX-100. I know I want to try cascading drives as I've never had a multi-fx that can do that before.

I still use my HX stomp as effects only into a tweed deluxe.   The drives definitely sound better when you go the full modelling route which is what I do at home.
    But gigging I’m still welding to my valve amp.
    Through the valve amp the analog pedals still have the edge although the digital drive pedal models have got much better since the last generation.  The HX Timmy is more than passible, it’s just not quite as special as my Protein Drive.

One thing I’m thinking of is changing me board (again) from a Warwick Tres 3.1 to a pedal train Junior, which would fit on the GX100 and a few pedals.

Or just go Pod Go, but I’m concerned the DSP and other limitations would bug me.  Plus I think the Boss effects probably sound better.
    edited May 2022
    Liking mine so far. 

....Heal down on the volume pedal to engage the tuner is a good feature. 

...In memory mode, it would be good to be able to label the 1-4 switches with the patch names.

.....You also don’t seem to be able to allocate parameters to the expression pedal (apart from volume or Wah) but maybe I haven’t found it yet. 
    Nice feature 're tuner access. Re the memory mode patch naming and expression parameters, these seem to be odd omissions. Just wondered if anyone else with a GX100 can clarify here as I had thought the GX100 could do these?

From a gigging perspective, patch naming is, at least for me, essential. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    edited May 2022
    The expression pedal (it's the same as on the GT-1000 and GT-1000 Core) absolutely can allocate parameters. You can change any numerical values on the target , and not just one. You could, for example, change gain from 40 to 60, on an amp, but at the same time change the volume from 100 to 90 so you get more gain but keep the volume the same. You can also do it across different effects in the same chain so you could add more wobble to a chorus and increase the delay time and feedback values when you move the treadle. The values can be from high to low or low to high so you can increase some values whilst reducing others.

There is also a "virtual" expression pedal (check out the Parameter Guide for "INT PDL") which is is applied with the ASSIGN control to an off/on switch but toggles parameters between values that you configure. It can do this in either a "curve" or "wave" format.

It is insanely flexible, you just have to get your head around the idiosyncrasies of programming in the BOSS world.
    Well, I've been watching lots of user vids. It looks a fine MFX but I just can't get past those awful hexagonal icons and the abbreviated text on them that make it really difficult to see which effect or amp is which. And I just dont like the Boss UI which isn't intuitive.  I'll stick with my Pod Go for now. 
    Voxman said:
    Well, I've been watching lots of user vids. It looks a fine MFX but I just can't get past those awful hexagonal icons and the abbreviated text on them that make it really difficult to see which effect or amp is which. And I just dont like the Boss UI which isn't intuitive.  I'll stick with my Pod Go for now. 
    You’d be surprised, it’s no more difficult/confusing/etc to programme then my Helix LT, especially if you get the Bluetooth adapter & use the app, but even that’s not essential, it just saves bending over the unit. 

• CE1CE1 Frets: 565
    Has anyone had chance to have a proper play around with one of these yet? Reviews look good and wondering about taking the plunge but real world reviews are always good.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    It's worthwhile watching Paul Drew going through the amps.

CE1 said:
    Has anyone had chance to have a proper play around with one of these yet? Reviews look good and wondering about taking the plunge but real world reviews are always good.
    Liking mine. Had it for two weeks or so. Easy to use. 

Ditched the factory presets (easy to do). 

Good comments from the people I jam with - we play Eagles style stuff, so clean/slight break up. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2022
    Well, I might kick myself later, but today I turned down the opportunity, albeit with a 3hr round trip on tubes, to buy a 2 week old GX100 with a new hard case for £400. If I didn't already have my Pod Go I'd have snapped it up. But after a lot of research, reading manuals, watching videos, chatting on various forums, and soul searching, my head won over my heart. 

Fundamentally, despite the obvious charms of the GX100, I realised that my Pod Go, despite its shortcomings, really did meet most of my current needs and whilst there were features of the GX100 that were 'nice to haves', there was actually nothing that was essential for my current needs. In addition to Pod Go I still have my Vox Tonelab SE and LE that may be old tech, but are still great gigging MFX units that are built like a tank. 

And there were features of Pod Go that I'd miss such as snap shots, global switching from volume to wah on every patch, much larger IR capacity, many more amp, cab, mic and effects. And the more compact size and lower weight are pluses too.

With regards tone, that's always going to be highly subjective. The guy that was selling the GX100 is a professional, globally touring musician. He has HX Stomp and Mooer MFX, and said providing each unit is set up properly, the tonal differences were minimal especially with IRs. Each unit does the job well. 

The Pod Go has a great colour screen, and the edit software is excellent. I have an older PC with Win 7 64bit, and I wasn't sure if GX100 was compatible. I also didn't fancy having to learn a new unit and set up new software. I'm pretty proficient with Pod Go now and even with touch screen, there's still a fair bit to learn with the GX100 and I really just want to enjoy playing and not have to set up new patches from scratch. 

I'm also curious to see if anything new is introduced at NAMM. 

The GX100 is a great unit, and if I didn't already have Pod Go, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat. But as I already have it, I had to weigh up pros and cons and make the best call for my needs.