Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oh Lordy, Coda are selling new 54 Reissue Les Paul Customs.. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oh Lordy, Coda are selling new 54 Reissue Les Paul Customs..

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    equalsql said:
    Any Gibson experts out there know which years in the 1970s that the company produced the 54 reissues?
    1972. It was a limited edition - the serial numbers start with LE - although I don't know how many were made. As jimmyguitar said they probably ran into 1973, although whether that's when they were actually made or just finished and shipped, I don't know.

There is a rumour that they were made with left-over parts from the 1950s, but I think this is unlikely to be true with the possible exception of the alnico 'staple' neck pickup.

I've played two of them fairly extensively and they didn't feel or quite sound like the old '56 one, and both were heavier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Hattigol said:
    Aren't reviews strange?

The guitar sounds absolutely fabulous in Jack's video. But couldn't that review be as much a review of whatever amp he is using? Or whatever pedal he adds in?

If it was, we'd be saying 'that amp/pedal sounds fabulous - I want one'. But it's a review of the guitar so that's what we all say sounds great.

Crackers really...
    Surely noone is under the impression that a video from Peach is a review.. 

Anyway, I played one of these in Nashville - not least because it was the first time I'd ever seen one in real life. It was really really really nice, but silly money even a few years ago - I recall north of $5k
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    This was my 72 reissue, it was really heavy compared to my original.  It was about the same weight as my 70/71 custom.   I stupidly sold it with a set of original machine heads on it.  I should have put the originals back on and sold the machines separately.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2442
    equalsql said:
    Any Gibson experts out there know which years in the 1970s that the company produced the 54 reissues?

I tried one back in the late 70s, possibly 1977 at a little guitar show held iirc at the old Arundel Centre Inn in Southampton, near the Bargate. I fell in love with it immediately and have lusted after one ever since.
    Interestingly, they also has a Travis Bean TB1000S at the same show that I got to play and that was mind-blowing.. so is another one on my bucket list.

I wonder if there are any older players on here from the Southampton area that went to that show?
    1972 & 1973, I’ve owned a couple 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 33
    I stumbled across the receipt for my 2002 Les Paul Custom 68 reissue earlier today. Bought used in 2005 from Peter Cook’s for £1499. 

How times have changed. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 378
    I always seem to miss the boat on these as the prices are always rising and always just out of reach (by a country mile now). I’ve noticed the 72 ri ones are now at £12k on Reverb, and the 73’s are also creeping higher. I could be wrong but think there’s more of the 73’s than 72’s? The modern ones are now much higher than they were just a couple years ago (like a lot of guitars I guess!). One day I will own one…. if someone can sell me one for less than 3 grand like they used to be ha! 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    cgumtree said:
    I stumbled across the receipt for my 2002 Les Paul Custom 68 reissue earlier today. Bought used in 2005 from Peter Cook’s for £1499. 

How times have changed. 
    Glad it wasn't a Dud.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry for reviving this thread, but I played one of these today and it was insanely good. Sounded and played utterly incredibly. Could never justify the cost (£6669), and probably wouldn’t take it out of the house. Still. Incredible instrument. Far beyond anything else I’ve played (possibly ever). 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2023
    Does nothing for me whatsoever. ..no humbuckers, no interest. P90s on a Les Paul = yuk!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    I'm not a Les Paul guy but God damn a Black Beauty is a dream guitar, £6k is a lot and probably will never be able to afford one at least new, I think these days people are trading stuff to be able to afford a high end guitars.

I Tried the limited Edition Eastman SB54 I think and it was amazing too, sadly it was a short live run.
  • @Dumodal I played an Eastman SB56. It was £2k. Very nice, but I was ruined by the Gibson. 
    @Dumodal I played an Eastman SB56. It was £2k. Very nice, but I was ruined by the Gibson. 
    Eastman are great I think nowadays it's value for money CODA have an used SB57 for £1.5K, I tried it and it was phenomenal super light for a Les Paul style guitar, almost bought it but the Mrs was with me and I already got their Trini so I didn't want to die in Stevenage.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dumodal said:
    @Dumodal I played an Eastman SB56. It was £2k. Very nice, but I was ruined by the Gibson. 
    Eastman are great I think nowadays it's value for money CODA have an used SB57 for £1.5K, I tried it and it was phenomenal super light for a Les Paul style guitar, almost bought it but the Mrs was with me and I already got their Trini so I didn't want to die in Stevenage.
    Well I’m hoping to go up on Monday so I’ll check it out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dumodal said:
    I didn't want to die in Stevenage.
    No one wants that. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm trying to find one of the Epiphone 1955 jobbies with the gold-pole P90s...what's with the weird polepieces on the neck pickup on this one? They look...odd.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 111
    I’d definitely rather put my cash into a Norlin era players grade custom than one of these, should still have some change left too.
  • Dumodal said:
    No one wants that. 
    ‘To live and die in Stevenage’ is a film I’d watch tbf. 
  • Dumodal said:
    No one wants that. 
    Things to do in Stevenage when you’re dead
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dumodal said:
    No one wants that. 
    Things to do in Stevenage when you’re dead
    I am clapping this. 
    Geez didn't know Stevenage was that bad, it was a little empty, small village vibes.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Dumodal said:
    Geez didn't know Stevenage was that bad, it was a little empty, small village vibes.
    You must have missed the New Town and only seen the old part of Stevenage.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Philly_Q said:
    Dumodal said:
    You must have missed the New Town and only seen the old part of Stevenage.

Or never seen the film, "Here we go round the mulberry bush".

• KylefKylef Frets: 1013
    I got myself one a few weeks ago. One of the best playing guitars I’ve had, and ‘that sound’ when ringing that first chord out after plugging, I can’t see the novelty wearing off anytime soon. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter