Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oh Lordy, Coda are selling new 54 Reissue Les Paul Customs.. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oh Lordy, Coda are selling new 54 Reissue Les Paul Customs..

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
edited July 2021 in Guitar
My absolute dream guitar.. but close to £6K, yikes o
Mrs equalsql would cut my heart out with a spoon if I picked up one of these.

What's one to do?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    say its a Chibson ;)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 643
    £6k?!?!?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Fucking bastards. Doesn't mean I don't want one though. For that kind of money I'd rather see if @Danielsguitars or @IvisonGuitars could knock one up 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    You can pick one up, just don't fuckin buy it!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    equalsql said:

What's one to do?

Hide all the spoons. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Ahh the Rock around the clock guitar.

Always wanted one of these after seeing Bill Haleys guitarist use one in the movie.

He is playing through a tweed twin i think in the movie. What a set up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I couldn't be interested in a guitar with that price tag. £2k was always my ceiling, although I only ever went near that once. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    It’s lovely, and I’ve seen much less desirable things at that price point, but still far too speedy for me…

And another thing, I notice the spec describes both pickups as custom Soapbar P90s - does this mean they’ve cheaped out and just put a fancy cover and funky pole pieces on the neck pickup? - at that price I’d be expecting a reasonable attempt at the genuine item…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I had the Epi version of this which sells for around £500. Great guitars.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Fucking bastards. Doesn't mean I don't want one though. For that kind of money I'd rather see if @Danielsguitars or @IvisonGuitars could knock one up 
    Don't worry got a vintage modern burst and custom planned but my new flat top burst is really kicking arse, I've compared it to a full carved burst of mine and not much in it tbh and mine weighs under 7.5lb
    They're all getting fully sculpted on the back.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 20reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    I was very tempted when I saw those come into stock (Coda have two VOS and one aged), but the price is just insane. Ten years ago you could buy those for £2,800.
    tFB Trader
    While these prices are getting increasingly insane it makes small makers look much better value so hopefully people start looking at better alternatives
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    £6k…. Mental.
    Sorry but for me that price is unjustifiable 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    I would dearly love a Custom like that, but the money is just madness.

Think about what you could buy for that. For less money you could buy a clean original 60’s 335.

Rob
  • Ossyrocks said:

Think about what you could buy for that. For less money you could buy a clean original 60’s 335.

Rob
    Might want to check the more recent prices on vintage I’m afraid.
    tFB Trader
    Ossyrocks said:

Rob
    Yes but I sold a carved top burst to a guy last year with quite alot of vintage guitars Inc both slab board and laminate 60s strats, 59 335 etc and it's my guitar that's out permanently because he loves it, just sold him 2 more builds too and my lightweight will be his gigging guitar

You have to try guitars out and see what's best for you, I genuinely don't lust after vintage stuff anymore, investment or so called mojo etc are a different thing.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    axisus said:
    I couldn't be interested in a guitar with that price tag. £2k was always my ceiling, although I only ever went near that once. 
    Aye similar for me. I'd stretch to 2.5k if it was absolutely insane. 
    Ossyrocks said:

Rob
    Might want to check the more recent prices on vintage I’m afraid.
    The reason I said that is because I own a clean original 60’s 335, bought less than two years ago, for quite a bit less money than this ^ guitar. Have vintage prices really gone up that much? 
  • I don’t have the limit as such, but there is a correlation with how expensive the guitar is and how comfortable I feel to play it, take it out the house etc. But that’s all going to be individual circumstances.

Personally yes I do think the price of this particular guitar feels high, but many do. Most guitars have gone up in price quite sharply so it’s all relative. Someone’s buying them so what can you do.

Ossyrocks said:

Rob
    Yes but I sold a carved top burst to a guy last year with quite alot of vintage guitars Inc both slab board and laminate 60s strats, 59 335 etc and it's my guitar that's out permanently because he loves it, just sold him 2 more builds too and my lightweight will be his gigging guitar

You have to try guitars out and see what's best for you, I genuinely don't lust after vintage stuff anymore, investment or so called mojo etc are a different thing.
    Darren, I’m sure your guitars are great. I would love to get one in my hands at some point.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 332
    I don’t like em . I don’t like the artificially yellowed binding and that. 
    Customs are my favourites though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I could have bought a real '56 one in 1999 for £2,149 less than that.

Stupidly, I didn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    I don’t have the limit as such, but there is a correlation with how expensive the guitar is and how comfortable I feel to play it, take it out the house etc. But that’s all going to be individual circumstances.

Personally yes I do think the price of this particular guitar feels high, but many do. Most guitars have gone up in price quite sharply so it’s all relative. Someone’s buying them so what can you do.
    For me it’s not so much that there’s a hard limit as that as the price tags get bigger guitars start to come into competition with other things (motorcycles, cars, nice holidays,…) for my attention.

If I had a disposable £6k to hand (which I don’t at the moment) that would buy (for instance) really nice Mazda MX5, and since I’ve already got a number of nice guitars and don’t have a small convertible sports car…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    I could have bought a real '56 one in 1999 for £2,149 less than that.

Stupidly, I didn't.
    Ooof
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    If it makes you feel any better, I had one when they could be bought used for sensible money. A Historic. 

Bag of shit. Gap between the binding and the frets that the high E string always got caught on, weighed as much as the moon, and absolute ice pick treble from the bridge pickup. The icepickiness was not solved by changing the pickup, it was just a shrill guitar. The neck pickup sounded good but had an unbelievably huge low end, so good luck EQing your amp for both pickups. Also a comically huge neck, although I realise some people like that. 

Around the same time I reviewed a Les Paul Junior Faded (RRP £599 at the time) that just knocked the spots off the R4 for playability and P90 tone. Wish I'd bought one.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394

The Dancing ain't bad either. 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    equalsql said:

What's one to do?

Not doing it for me, especially at £6k which is frankly ludicrous.  And being picky, the white ply on the scratchplate clashes very noticeably with the cream body binding.  Neck binding looks to be white too - why not go to the effort to match it all up?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    equalsql said:

What's one to do?

Not doing it for me, especially at £6k which is frankly ludicrous.  And being picky, the white ply on the scratchplate clashes very noticeably with the cream body binding.  Neck binding looks to be white too - why not go to the effort to match it all up?
    Because that's how it looks as the different parts have aged, e.g. Les Paul's 1954 Gibson "Black Beauty" Guitar Sells for $335,500 at Auction | Guitar World
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Hottubes said:

The Dancing ain't bad either. 

Back in the days when everything was filmed in white and white. 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    TTony said:
    equalsql said:

What's one to do?

Hide all the spoons. 
    She's still have the forks, and the potato peeler to hand..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter