Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oh Lordy, Coda are selling new 54 Reissue Les Paul Customs.. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oh Lordy, Coda are selling new 54 Reissue Les Paul Customs..

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Every time I've come across a used 54 Black Beauty they have sold instantly - Gibson have re-issued it a few times over the years and they all sell very easily as/when they appear for sale - But that 6K price tag will probably now mean used examples will rise in price a touch more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepy said:
    say its a Chibson ;)

"My greatest fear is one day I'll die and my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her I paid for them"
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Offset said:
    equalsql said:
    My absolute dream guitar.. but close to £6K, yikes o
    Mrs equalsql would cut my heart out with a spoon if I picked up one of these.

What's one to do?

Not doing it for me, especially at £6k which is frankly ludicrous.  And being picky, the white ply on the scratchplate clashes very noticeably with the cream body binding.  Neck binding looks to be white too - why not go to the effort to match it all up?
    Because that's how it looks as the different parts have aged, e.g. Les Paul's 1954 Gibson "Black Beauty" Guitar Sells for $335,500 at Auction | Guitar World
    I guess that's why 'vintage correct' doesn't do it for me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Offset said:
    equalsql said:

What's one to do?

Not doing it for me, especially at £6k which is frankly ludicrous.  And being picky, the white ply on the scratchplate clashes very noticeably with the cream body binding.  Neck binding looks to be white too - why not go to the effort to match it all up?
    They look fine in person and the aged binding isn't as bad as it was a couple of years ago, when it almost looked luminous.

The front of the plastic binding is masked off when the guitar is sprayed with nitro, hence it not yellowing. The binding on the side of the neck is sprayed with nitro, so that yellows along with the body and headstock binding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Hmm, 6k because it says Gibson on the headstock or £3k to get Patrick Eggle to build one with a staple pickup handwound by mojo with better upper fret access, better build quality to your own specs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chris78 said:
    Hmm, 6k because it says Gibson on the headstock or £3k to get Patrick Eggle to build one with a staple pickup handwound by mojo with better upper fret access, better build quality to your own specs. 
    And poor resale value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Brize said:
    Offset said:
    equalsql said:

What's one to do?

They look fine in person and the aged binding isn't as bad as it was a couple of years ago, when it almost looked luminous.

The front of the plastic binding is masked off when the guitar is sprayed with nitro, hence it not yellowing. The binding on the side of the neck is sprayed with nitro, so that yellows along with the body and headstock binding.
    Interesting stuff, thanks.  The neck binding on my Firebird seems to have noticeably mellowed over time, although it was never the super-white I've seen on some later models, which to my eye looks unappealing.  I guess the materials/finish may have changed.  As you can tell, I'm not a Gibson expert or aficionado by any stretch but I know what I like :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Ossyrocks said:
    ICBM said:
    I could have bought a real '56 one in 1999 for £2,149 less than that.

Stupidly, I didn't.
    Ooof
    Yes. It was a lot of money at the time, and I would have had to trade all my small collection of about half a dozen guitars for it, plus a small amount of cash. The owner would have been happy with that and had agreed, but I backed out because I thought I "needed the versatility" of the other guitars. Wrong. I still have the sound of it in my head (and on record, admittedly!) whereas I've pretty much forgotten all the others.

It's worth about £25K today.

I have told this story several times I know ;). It bears repeating as an object lesson that one truly great guitar is better than several good ones...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    dazzajl said:
    Hottubes said:

The Dancing ain't bad either. 

Back in the days when everything was filmed in white and white. 
    My son, bless him, actually thought until very recently that everything WAS black and white in olden times...  :)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Hattigol said:
    dazzajl said:
    Hottubes said:

The Dancing ain't bad either. 

Back in the days when everything was filmed in white and white. 
    My son, bless him, actually thought until very recently that everything WAS black and white in olden times...  :)
    I probably shouldn’t be picturing a 35 year old should I ;)
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    The goldtop one they also have is 'only' £3800 - is that not the same model? 
  • StuCStuC Frets: 8
    I bought mine in late 1992 for £989, at the time around £250 more than a regular LP Standard and about the same as a Classic Plus.  I gather the newer ones are more accurate, but not worth £6k to me.
    newi123 said:
    No - that has a maple cap, wraparound bridge, P90 in the neck position, rosewood board.

I'm guessing you're not a particularly discerning type of chap.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    Brize said:
    newi123 said:
    No - that has a maple cap, wraparound bridge, P90 in the neck position, rosewood board.

I'm guessing you're not a particularly discerning type of chap.
    I am, but only with the other brand............

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    StuC said:
    I bought mine in late 1992 for £989, at the time around £250 more than a regular LP Standard and about the same as a Classic Plus.  I gather the newer ones are more accurate, but not worth £6k to me.
    I'd rather have the 90s one regardless of 'accuracy'. There does seem to be something in the idea that it was a bit of a second golden era, and at least it won't have quite the stupidly big neck of the current "50s" ones.

(With caveat that with Gibsons more than most, a lot depends on the individual guitar.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    I reckon you can get one if you move some other guitars on. Less guitars in the house = tidying up. They can't resist it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Brize said:
    chris78 said:
    And poor resale value.
    If you’re worried about resale, you’d sell the Eagle close to 2k.
    I reckon you’d lose more than a grand on the Gibson
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    equalsql said:

What's one to do?

You’ll only miss her for a bit...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    edited July 2021
    Just looking at one of these on Peachs site and it looks like a rosewood fingerboard. And it's £200 dearer.  Coda ones seem to be an ebony fingerboard.

Edit : says ebony on peach site.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    You can pick one up, just don't fuckin buy it!
    I'm pretty sure I couldn't pick it up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited July 2021
    It looks like a fairly accurate version.    Things like the size of the 21st inlay and the pickguard bevel are often wrong, but much closer to 50's original here.

I also think they have got the tints on binding and neck pretty accurate.   Neck and body binding can be different shades.

I would like it a little more worn, just a softening of the gold hardware would do a lot for the look.

But yeah, thats a lot of money!!!
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2442
    For the same money you could get an original 1973 54 RI which are far more collectible and the first reissue. 
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1636
    For the same money you could buy 30 squiers!

jokes aside, seems like a bit of a cash grab and as many other have said they’d boutique cash you’re spending there.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    I bought my original with a lot of issues for $4,500 in 2014 or 15.  @WezV did a stellar job of restoring it and nicely aging it, and it is a wonderful guitar.  That is a lot of money, but as @WezV says, they have finally fixed the neck inlay and some other things.  This is what mine is like after the restoration:

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    I'd go on holiday, I couldn't spend that on any guitar, I'd choke a bit on a car tbh.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 295
    edited July 2021

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    I reckon you can get one if you move some other guitars on. Less guitars in the house = tidying up. They can't resist it.
    Lol, you know my dilemma to well  :3
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    StuC said:
    I bought my first house around then for £57,500. Ones on that road sell for around £350,000 now.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    For the same money you could get an original 1973 54 RI which are far more collectible and the first reissue. 
    Was the ‘73 ‘54 a pancake too?
    tomajoha said:

Was the ‘73 ‘54 a pancake too?
    I don't think so. I've never seen a stripped one, but a couple of friends of mine have owned these (different examples) and there was no tell-tale shrinkage line around the body, which you almost always get otherwise.

Both were good guitars but neither were as great as the original '56.

They're '72, not '73 by the way. Not sure if any ran over into the next year, it was a limited edition.