Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What Are You Listening To Now ? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I did a lot of driving yesterday and put on a long forgotten Dad Rocks type cd. It included this ( well, with better audio) which I'd forgotten. Seems wonderfully pointless as a cover yet at the same time FGTH do it a lot better than you might imagine they would. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Jethro Tull, "Nothing to Say" from Benefit (1970)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been listening to a lot of Blue Öyster Cult.  I've been a bit of a fan for 40 years, but every now and then I become mildly obsessed with them... then forget about them again for a decade.  Most of the albums have at least two dud tracks for every good one, but at least they're not all the same.
    Might be worth checking out Jesters of Destiny (sf early 80s) and Aktor (members of Circle from Finland and Professor Black from High Spirits/Dawnbriger etc)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Joan Armatrading Live at the Royal Albert Hall.

Her 2011 no overdubs live album. Joan and three backing musicians, all showing more talent in their little fingers than yada yada...some surprisingly edgy/ filthy guitar sounds at times. I'd live without the odd cheesey synth moment but then those are evocative of the original versions. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 598
    edited June 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGz-bAh4Cg4

I always think I Am Kloot (John Bramwell) deserved more credit than they/he got.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    Watching Fela at Glastonbury'84 on iPlayer
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited July 2021
    I think this is a stunning cover. Carson McKee and Josh Turner doing 'Lonely" by Tom Waits.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 402
    Deja Vu by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
    Dirty Honey - Dirty Honey
    Time Travelling Blues - Orange Goblin
    Fire and Water - Free
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 525
    Maggot Brain. 

It's been one of those days......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Emma-Jean Thackray. Innovative jazzy stuff. She’s brill.
    I play at my dining room table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

Perfect Sunday morning lazing about with a coffee and trying to get refunds from Ryanair dreamscape.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Artist: SAHG
    Title: Hollow Mountain
    Album: SAHG III
    Released: 2010

:)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited July 2021

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    edited July 2021

edited July 2021

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Having a Lana Del Ray evening, not a duff song on any of the albums NFR is sublime
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Person To Person, the live album from The Average White Band. Absolutely amazing stuff. 
    I'd forgotten what a gem this recording was. They were one hell of a live band, brilliant musicians and songwriters.
    Here's a track from them during that time.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Stevie Wonder Natural Wonder - Live.

Thought I'd give my new cans a go. Very pleased so far.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 944
    Tool's latest. I still don't think this album is their strongest work, with definite padding in places, not to mention a lot of repeated melodies, riffs, basslines and drum parts from their previous work - but having it on through the PC speakers and subwoofer while working has been really nice. I just think they probably need to call it a day unless they're going to do something a bit more evolved on their next album. But by then they'll be hitting 70 years sold so who knows. 

Also they must have heard me because I've somehow lost my CDs of Lateralus and 10,000 Days. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
    I need to hear it a bit more to decide how good it really is but I've been enjoying it more than I expected.  I don't think she's a great singer or songwriter tbh but the imagination and energy that's gone into the production and the arrangements plus the range of style and mood make for a really interesting listen.  And I do like her use of guitar - a lot of retro tones as you say but it never sounds cliched.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited July 2021
    This is a decent track with great playing (IMHO). Little known artist too. Blake Mills esque

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Right now Chris Cornell -No one sings like you anymore 

a posthumous album of covers, got the vinyl delivered today, his version of Stay with me Baby is bloody amazing IMO 
  • Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
    I need to hear it a bit more to decide how good it really is but I've been enjoying it more than I expected.  I don't think she's a great singer or songwriter tbh but the imagination and energy that's gone into the production and the arrangements plus the range of style and mood make for a really interesting listen.  And I do like her use of guitar - a lot of retro tones as you say but it never sounds cliched.
    I totally get what you mean - her sound is so unconventional it can be hard to measure her as a songwritter and singer - I think her records are well produced - particairly this one - to compensate for the not always consistent songwriting.... it took my three nights of listening to it lying the dark all the way through before I really got into its immersive universe.... it sounds so lush and has some really interesting lyrics.
    And totally agree re: the retro tones that avoid cliché - what else are you enjoying? Do you ever listen to father John misty or Weyes blood or are your interests further afield? 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 944
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Anyone heard St Vincents new record 'Daddy's home'? Its the first record of hers I've really loved - some seriously seventies sensuous guitar tones  
    I totally get what you mean - her sound is so unconventional it can be hard to measure her as a songwritter and singer - I think her records are well produced - particairly this one - to compensate for the not always consistent songwriting.... it took my three nights of listening to it lying the dark all the way through before I really got into its immersive universe.... it sounds so lush and has some really interesting lyrics.
    And totally agree re: the retro tones that avoid cliché - what else are you enjoying? Do you ever listen to father John misty or Weyes blood or are your interests further afield? 
     To be honest I don't have a deep knowledge of new music these days, I dip in here and there but I'm more likely to be listening to older stuff or jazz or whatever.

The current artist I've been liking most is Lana Del Rey, but her most recent album is nowhere near as good as the previous one.  i wouldn't agree with @sweepy that there's no duff songs on her albums, but I do agree with him that NFR is sublime. I also liked Frazey Ford's last two albums but that is more purely retro.

I've listened to Weyes Blood's Titanic Rising.  I thought I should have liked it more than I did. The ingredients were all there, songwriting, melodies, vocals, arrangements, production but somehow it all added up to something I found easier to admire than love. I haven't heard her other albums.

Listened a bit to Father John Misty and actually saw him live in late 2017.  Before then I did go through a spell of really liking Pure Comedy, but the enthusiasm didn't really last.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Having watched this

... I'm presently un-ignoring Genesis. 

Also listening to:

And

randerson said:
    This is a decent track with great playing (IMHO). Little known artist too. Blake Mills esque

The recent Blake Mills/Pino/Sam Gendel stuff is sublime.