Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Post-Lockdown pedal building - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Oh and thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    roberty said:
    Haha, that looks ace, good work.

Thanks for the update on the knobs. Sounds like too much hassle to save a few quid :-(
    Yeah the red and blue ones worked out to about £1 each with the stuff up. It'll be 75p each if they refund the black ones

I got a £19 Mosky Klone in the same package lol. Hopefully it doesn't explode when I plug it in
    These Mosky Klones - is the explosion a fault or a feature? Asking for a friend…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    Haha, that looks ace, good work.

Thanks for the update on the knobs. Sounds like too much hassle to save a few quid :-(
    Yeah the red and blue ones worked out to about £1 each with the stuff up. It'll be 75p each if they refund the black ones

I got a £19 Mosky Klone in the same package lol. Hopefully it doesn't explode when I plug it in
    These Mosky Klones - is the explosion a fault or a feature? Asking for a friend…
    Well I plugged it in and it sounds glorious. No included fireworks display
    Some more stuff today

Fuzz Dog Mu-Tron Micro V envelope filter. Very cool. Can get quite slow and synth which is what I wanted

I called it Envelope Lifter which is an anagram of Envelope Filter. A few bubbles under the decal oops

Redid the Brain Bomb with a new graphic cos I thought it looked a bit naff. It's okay now, not amazing but it'll do

I've got 9 PCBs nearly populated, just waiting for some bits that have got stuck in the post. Quite a lot of stuff to get through. Takes me a lot longer if I'm not building from a kit

I ordered the EF111 kit from Fuzz Dog this weekend. I find it relaxing putting kits together. Like doing a jigsaw but with a little bit of creativity thrown in for the enclosure
    *more typo than anagram 
  • I LOVE that Envelope Lifter.
    I LOVE that Envelope Lifter.
    Lol thanks it's the most stupid thing I could think of
    EF111ING Craziness. Waiting for some green knobs

Definitely have everything I need now lol. This will be for production sound effects I guess 

The reference, for those not versed in internet nonsense:

Also redid my Big Cheese clone. Label looks a bit wide, was experimenting. Don't think I'll do edge to edge again 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • These are epic :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    I'm loving @roberty s Headsplode, and am thinking the Fuzzdog take on a Bixonic Expandora, that I have sitting on my shelf waiting for me to build ( MY EYES ) would look great in a box like that.
    Same knob layout, plus 3 switches.
    Just have to find some calm ME time.

• Looking back to page 25 of this thread, it seems my last pedal build was March 2021.  That was a mammoth vero build which dampened my enthusiasm a bit.  But I've got the itch again and am taking the next logical step after going from PCB to vero.  We're going tag strip, with the plan to go full point to point after this.  I may have spent some time looking at the Reeves Electro site...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @idiotwind cool good luck with the build. Looks like a fun way to work (more fun than Vero anyway lol) (vero is not fun)

Boxed this today, BBE sonic stomp clone. Another fuzz dog. Sounds great, will be really good for recording guitar and bass I think

• First a quick WIP photo, showing off the totally unnecessary interior paint job.  Felt odd doing the "offboard" wiring first

and then the finished article

It's a Colorsound One Knob Fuzz, but with a BC108/BC183L rather than a BC109/BC108.  Heavily "inspired" by the Reeves Electro 183Sound (ok, totally ripped off).

I added a 1M pull down resistor and the LED is on the other side to match other pedals I have.  Definitely not because I flipped it because I had spent so long looking at the inside shot.  Nice big 1W resistors and huge capacitors for that retro charm.  I decided to keep the outside simple, just sanded to 800 grit and a honking great aluminium knob from Jed's Peds.

Pedal sounds good from my limited testing so far.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @idiotwind wow mate that's awesome. Super tidy. Pretty sure Marcus Reeves would approve :-) he is active in the Facebook DIY/fuzz groups
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    idiotwind said:
    First a quick WIP photo, showing off the totally unnecessary interior paint job.  Felt odd doing the "offboard" wiring first

It's a Colorsound One Knob Fuzz, but with a BC108/BC183L rather than a BC109/BC108.  Heavily "inspired" by the Reeves Electro 183Sound (ok, totally ripped off).

I added a 1M pull down resistor and the LED is on the other side to match other pedals I have.  Definitely not because I flipped it because I had spent so long looking at the inside shot.  Nice big 1W resistors and huge capacitors for that retro charm.  I decided to keep the outside simple, just sanded to 800 grit and a honking great aluminium knob from Jed's Peds.

Is the playing experience enhanced if you look at the pedal guts at the same time? Asking for a friend obviously!
    My latest pedal building related purchase was some safety goggles for drilling lol. Figured I am quite used to having two eyes. They also double as an all night rave accessory
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Thanks all, it was a fun one to do.  I've long admired point to point pedals and this tagstrip ladder style seemed like a nice step on the way to that.  To be honest, one of the hardest parts was finding the right tagstrip at a reasonable price.

I've got my eye on the Leo next, a bit more complex and fully point to point.
    Sourcing parts is a massive pain, especially now after Covid/Brexit/war. Struggling with pots atm. Just did a big order from Mouser in the US
    edited September 2023
    The smash twins. Handwired vero SHO and a Fuzz Dog IC Big Muff with the extra feedback cap for fizz. Both old builds revisited

I got impatient with the clear coat and ended up with loads of bubbles in the pumpkin muff. Might redo it in a week or two if it still bothers me. I printed off spare decals

The knob labels line up well

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've gone back through 20 pages of these and there are so many cool pedals on here! I should have thought to look here sooner.
    Is this the thread for asking some questions about kit builds? I'm reasonable with a soldering iron, but my first two kit builds haven't quite worked and I have no idea how to fault find.
  • Rkphilpot said:
    I've gone back through 20 pages of these and there are so many cool pedals on here! I should have thought to look here sooner.
    Is this the thread for asking some questions about kit builds? I'm reasonable with a soldering iron, but my first two kit builds haven't quite worked and I have no idea how to fault find.
    I’m sure we will all be happy to help 

post some photos of the circuits and off board wiring 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • idiotwind said:
    First a quick WIP photo, showing off the totally unnecessary interior paint job.  Felt odd doing the "offboard" wiring first

That’s fantastic. I have thought about doing this myself. Where did you get the parts ? 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Rkphilpot said:
    I've gone back through 20 pages of these and there are so many cool pedals on here! I should have thought to look here sooner.

Will do tomorrow, thank you.
    Its a Jed's Peds Big Muff build, pretty simple, still managed to make it noisey as hell. Will upload a video of it too.
    Thank you
    Will try to help @Rkphilpot. An audio probe is cheap to make and really handy for fault finding
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Will try to help @Rkphilpot. An audio probe is cheap to make and really handy for fault finding
    Thank you, will look into them
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited September 2023
    Rkphilpot said:
    Rkphilpot said:

Will do tomorrow, thank you.
    Its a Jed's Peds Big Muff build, pretty simple, still managed to make it noisey as hell. Will upload a video of it too.
    Thank you
    I think Big muffs can be noisy, I built the one that’s supposed to be close to the Fallout and that was the quietest Muff I’ve built. 

I gave it to a friend who’s lad is learning guitar and he seems to be enjoying it 

• That’s fantastic. I have thought about doing this myself. Where did you get the parts ? 
    The tagstrip was from eBay and the spacers and screws were Jed's Peds. The enclosure (1590BB, so slightly deeper body) and 1W metal film resistors were Switch Electronics.  The transistors and axial capacitors were Bowood Electronics except that electrolytic one which was Bitsbox.  Add in some sockets and other bits from Fuzzdog and it was quite a cosmopolitan build really.  I think my cost split between actual items and postage was about 60:40.
  • idiotwind said:
    That’s fantastic. I have thought about doing this myself. Where did you get the parts ? 
    The tagstrip was from eBay and the spacers and screws were Jed's Peds. The enclosure (1590BB, so slightly deeper body) and 1W metal film resistors were Switch Electronics.  The transistors and axial capacitors were Bowood Electronics except that electrolytic one which was Bitsbox.  Add in some sockets and other bits from Fuzzdog and it was quite a cosmopolitan build really.  I think my cost split between actual items and postage was about 60:40.
    Interesting thank you for the detail, I haven’t used all the sites mentioned. I tend to use eBay, Bitsbox. Although I do use Jed’s and Fuzzdog both are fantastic. 
    I really want to get some old vintage style parts so will check the other sites. I have some tagboard so might try using that, but those spacers etc looks great 

Redid my DIY noise gate. New graphics and a reflow/tidy inside. I think I can get half my big board DIY now. I just want to confuse any pedal nerds who lean over for a look