Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Post-Lockdown pedal building - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• Anyone got any recommendations for a Bass compressor build that isn't an Orange Squeezer? Preferably Vero. There doesn't seem to be many layouts around, so wondering if anyone has built one and has a recommendation? I've promised my bass player a compressor and would like something a bit more challenging/interesting than the orange squeezer.
    No Vero but I'm very happy with my Fuzzdog Engineer's thumb. It's basically a 5-knob Ross/Dyna with Attack/Release/Threshold controls. 

Similar to that modded Ross that @roberty posted but with Threshold instead of blend.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Anyone got any recommendations for a Bass compressor build that isn't an Orange Squeezer? Preferably Vero. There doesn't seem to be many layouts around, so wondering if anyone has built one and has a recommendation? I've promised my bass player a compressor and would like something a bit more challenging/interesting than the orange squeezer.
    No Vero but I'm very happy with my Fuzzdog Engineer's thumb. It's basically a 5-knob Ross/Dyna with Attack/Release/Threshold controls. 

Similar to that modded Ross that @roberty posted but with Threshold instead of blend.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bohemianbuoybohemianbuoy Frets: 32
    edited November 2022
    That's currently number one on the list. Seems like a fun build.  - this is in response to the Ross.

Engineer's Thumb intrigues me though.

Thanks guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Please put Ross Kemp on it @bohemianbuoy if you decide to do it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bohemianbuoybohemianbuoy Frets: 32
    edited November 2022
    roberty said:

The bass player I'm doing this for actually doesn't look too dissimilar to Ross Kemp!
    edited November 2022
    roberty said:

The bass player I'm doing this for actually doesn't look too dissimilar to Ross Kemp!
    That is a highly appropriate Iook for any bass player
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    roberty said:
    Of course anyone who uses a Kemper should seriously consider this too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The last month or so has been really busy at work and I've spent my spare time drilling Megadeth rhythm parts and not building. My projects are all on hold for now lol

I am going to order some of those PCBs for the Tonebender with an HM-2 tonestack. If anyone wants one we can combine shipping. It's an original design by a guy in the US on Reddit. I reckon it'll be pure filth

The Peper's Humongous Fuzz is an FZ-2 with an HM-2 tonestack and it sounds glorious. I should bite the bullet and get one really. I think I'll be in NZ over Xmas so maybe I can get one shipped locally while I'm there

Redid this decal design for my Carcosa clone. Not sure how the black edges will look on the finished thing but can give it a go. It'll probably need rejigging to fit properly anyway 

• Finally got my kitchen back after a lot of internal building work so now I can solder of an evening again.

Chase Tone Secret Preamp - built on a pedalpcb board. I have an original and they're so close together (and it's such a subtle pedal anyway) that they're effectively identical. Tayda enclosure as usual. 

I was really pleased with the wiring job on this one until I realised that I'd put the PSU connector the wrong way round. So had an absolute ballache taking it out, de soldering and redoing, but I got there in the end. 

Rather pleased with it although I might change the knob. On that note, does anyone have a tip for making the pot a bit harder to turn? It's spectacularly easy to change the setting as is. 

Finally got my kitchen back after a lot of internal building work so now I can solder of an evening again.

Chase Tone Secret Preamp - built on a pedalpcb board. I have an original and they're so close together (and it's such a subtle pedal anyway) that they're effectively identical. Tayda enclosure as usual. 

I was really pleased with the wiring job on this one until I realised that I'd put the PSU connector the wrong way round. So had an absolute ballache taking it out, de soldering and redoing, but I got there in the end. 

Rather pleased with it although I might change the knob. On that note, does anyone have a tip for making the pot a bit harder to turn? It's spectacularly easy to change the setting as is. 

Nice!

Try fitting a rubber washer under the knob  - you can regulate the turning stiffness by how hard you press the knob down while tightening the grub screw.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    @roberty Apologies if I've missed the how-to in the previous 51 pages of chat :) but I wonder if you would mind explaining your decal process? Generating the images, printing, applying and protecting? I am becoming a little bored of simply nitro-spraying with the odd splatter effect or edge-shading! Plus I'd like to label the controls a little more neatly than handwritten with a Posca pen.....

My current builds-in-progress plus pedals-that-didn't-work-and-need re-doing (all veroboard from tagboardeffects or dirtboxlayouts 

in-progress : 
    TS-808
    another Shredmaster
    Deep Blue Delay & Red Llama with my 10yr old Isaac
    another Naga Viper

to re-do : 
    Causality4 phaser - no phasing, some controls work, some dont
    Klon - some overdrive, but very odd behaviour from dual-gang pot
    Madbean Gravity Wave (EQD Sea Machine) - massive veroboard mad chorusy pedal, doesnt work, maybe pernickety 2399's)
    EQD Grand Orbiter - another massive vero with temperamental LM13700's. Sortof works a bit.

plans for near-future builds : 
    Catalinbread Montavillian echo/reverb
    Hermida Dover Drive
    Wampler Ecstacy and Pinnacle

Oh, and another Modulus amp with Isaac :)

Adam
    edited January 2023
    @Kalimna sure it's pretty straightforward. I do the graphics on Gimp (free Photoshop sort f thing). You can import the drilling template and use that to get the positioning right. Then I print it onto waterslide decal paper. I sand the enclosure before applying the decal. I got for a swirly sort of pattern as that can look nice in the light. After the decal dries I spray it with clear coat over the course of a day. The finish is quite delicate when done but it looks quite nice

Did this while I was away on holiday, and a few others. I'm still very much in the learning stages but it's fun to do and passes the time 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Thank you!  The clear coat - just clear nitro? Or have you tried a clear resin?

That rat is quite disturbing! Reminded me of one of the Watership Down scenes...... Very nicely done though.
    I have a lot of PCBs lol. Some cool stuff in there though. Got a few projects to finish before I get stuck into these 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Kalimna said:
    Thank you!  The clear coat - just clear nitro? Or have you tried a clear resin?

That rat is quite disturbing! Reminded me of one of the Watership Down scenes...... Very nicely done though.
    It's not my rat! If I end up doing a batch I'll buy a license for the artwork 

The clearcoat is called Hycote Clear Lacquer, I got it from Amazon 
    roberty said:
    I have a lot of PCBs lol. Some cool stuff in there though. Got a few projects to finish before I get stuck into these 

I spy a Master Phaser PCB - Maestro clone?
    @Keefy yep sure is
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited January 2023

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited January 2023

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

@Cookiemonster bet the barbershop sounds good. How did you get the J201s on? 
  • roberty said:
    @Cookiemonster bet the barbershop sounds good. How did you get the J201s on? 
    I bought adaptors and used SMD 

• Another build by me this evening.

Pedalpcb Defouler - it's the distortion side of the Boss DF-2. 

Ordered one of these https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/supa-j

Really cool collaboration. It has a meaty mode which I will probably enjoy 

Nearly got my workspace in order, will be ready to pick up the iron again soon. Maybe tomorrow
    Looks tidy @UnclePsychosis, I find the PedalPCB ones a bit fiddly to box up
  • roberty said:
    Thanks.

The trick is patience - lots of test fits and considering the right order to do things - and also practicing your wire stripping to the point where you can get them the right length. 
    roberty said:
    Thanks.

The trick is patience - lots of test fits and considering the right order to do things - and also practicing your wire stripping to the point where you can get them the right length. 
    I might get some dedicated wire strippers. I've been using my PCB snips and they are quite blunted after a few years. Would probably save me in the long run 
    roberty said:
    Ordered one of these https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/supa-j

Really cool collaboration. It has a meaty mode which I will probably enjoy 
    All 100 kits sold out! Mad
    Having completed the Phasor II kit I was going to leave this for a bit, but some affordable Vactrols precipitated a splurge of parts buying for the Multiplex Echo Machine. I quickly realised it wasn't going to fit into a 1590BB enclosure so I bought a 1590XX (same size as the current EHX DMMs). That would be fine if I had the 1776 Effects PCB but I don't so I'm going to have to build it on Vero board. There is a Vero layout online but it doesn't accommodate board-mounted pots and switches so I'm going to have to be creative in how I use the space.

In addition to the tape-speedup footswitch I'm planning to include one for instant runaway oscillation, close enough that both can be operated together. And some hand-drawn graphics...

Here's the bits plus the modulation board which I completed and tested today (my own Vero layout). Sorry for the orientation but Imgur appears to have shittified their image rotation feature:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Keefy wow mate that's really ambitious. Good going

Imgur have completely naffed up their editing tools
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter