Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Post-Lockdown pedal building - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited October 2022

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    roberty said:

What program is that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:

What program is that?
    Dall E, there was a waiting list when I joined not sure about now https://labs.openai.com/

Their instagram is worth a peruse https://www.instagram.com/openaidalle/?hl=en
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm not going to redo the decals, can live with little imperfections. If I ever make more of them I will obviously correct them then. I am making these for fun, and redoing things is not fun :-) 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    roberty said:
    I'm not going to redo the decals, can live with little imperfections. If I ever make more of them I will obviously correct them then. I am making these for fun, and redoing things is not fun :-) 
    ... especially when you cock it up worse the second time!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    ... especially when you cock it up worse the second time!
    Always a possibility @Keefy hahaha
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    roberty said:
    Alex2678 said:
    roberty said:

What program is that?
    Dall E, there was a waiting list when I joined not sure about now https://labs.openai.com/

Their instagram is worth a peruse https://www.instagram.com/openaidalle/?hl=en
    That’s blown my mind. Thanks!
    Pleased with how this one turned out. The knobs I got for it didn't fit the pot shafts but I had some nicer ones in the drawer. I decided to redrill for a 5mm warm white LED in a bezel to match the new knobs

The Belton Brick means that replacing any of those wires would be a massive pain. I've wrapped them in cardboard and electrical tape and blu tac'd it in place to stop any movement at the solder pads

I'd probably get the medium length spring if I did this again. With the Damp control right down it should sound pretty nice into a dirty amp I reckon

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I redid this cos I thought I could do a better job. I've had some nice comments about the Otter, and I've been asked to make one for someone else. I figure I ought to set the bar a bit higher and put some effort in. I might start putting a little logo on them somewhere

Volume and Fuzz text could be a little higher. Oh well
    Sod it I fixed it. Better

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2022
    roberty said:

Musikding posted a drilled enclosure to me by mistake. It's roomy so I might do something a hand wired/vero in this. Not worth posting back really

I know what I want to do with this now. It will be my Rat Factory

The way I envisage it is there will be five toggle switches. One to toggle between two modes and two switches per mode for top and bottom selection of clipping diodes

Switch 1 will select between YDR and Turbo modes

Then the two pairs of switches for each mode will be ON-OFF-ON, allowing for a variety of symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping options

Not sure about Reuts/mids. Maybe I'll put a trimmer in and set it to stock to start with

The mode switch could also be ON-OFF-ON but that would mean a feature duplication for clean mode. I think I'll just keep it simple. It'll be pretty mad as it is

I made a Rat ages ago with a wildly asymmetrical clipping mode that sounded really broken and cool. A good effect but not something you'd want a whole pedal for

Thinking about this it might be fun to have two mini pots for Reutz, one per mode. It would be nice to indicate where stock position is on the enclosure graphics
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I built a thing! First one in bloody ages from me. Engineer's Thumb OTA compressor, which I'm pretty sure I bought in the great 2020 lockdown spree but never built. I got it done while watching the Wrecking Crew doc from the other thread and only had an issue because I put the LED in the wrong way around - not bad for such a long time since my last kit. 

I'm thinking this should help me get a much simpler bass rig. Probably an EP Booster and MXR Microamp either side of it and call it done :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I built a thing! First one in bloody ages from me. Engineer's Thumb OTA compressor, which I'm pretty sure I bought in the great 2020 lockdown spree but never built. I got it done while watching the Wrecking Crew doc from the other thread and only had an issue because I put the LED in the wrong way around - not bad for such a long time since my last kit. 

I'm thinking this should help me get a much simpler bass rig. Probably an EP Booster and MXR Microamp either side of it and call it done :)

Very nice, I would like to build a noise gate and a compressor 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

@Cookiemonster Fuzz Dog has just listed an noise gate but it has no side chain input

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/gate

I did the PedalPCB Muzzle, very good but a pain in the arse to box up. I think the dynamics processor chip it uses is discontinued and expensive now

The Stone Deaf Noise Reaper is good value. Didn't notice any difference between that and the Zuul or decimator

People shit on the Boss one but apparently it's good in sidechain mode. IMO a well designed one knob noise gate is preferable tho
    Compressor looks good @stickyfiddle you'll be glad you labeled up the knobs in two week's time when you've forgotten what's inside lol
    roberty said:
    Compressor looks good @stickyfiddle you'll be glad you labeled up the knobs in two week's time when you've forgotten what's inside lol
    Lol 100% agree. This is also the first time I’ve used the gold sharpie I bought in 2020 :D 

And yeah there’s no way I’m remembering 5 controls!! I actually even labelled the Ratio knob wrong while doing it. Then black sharpie over that, then gold with the right labelling… 
    roberty said:
    Lol 100% agree. This is also the first time I’ve used the gold sharpie I bought in 2020 :D 

And yeah there’s no way I’m remembering 5 controls!! I actually even labelled the Ratio knob wrong while doing it. Then black sharpie over that, then gold with the right labelling… 
    I've been using pink dot stickers to mark my settings in rehearsals. One less thing to think about. Completely brain-free operation. The poor bugger's had a hard time

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That's a good system - nothing wrong with simple if it works. Just yesterday I was thinking about some arrows on my stereo pedals to tell me which sockets to use for mono...
    20% off here with code Halloween20 

https://pcbguitarmania.com/product-category/smd/

Going to order some pre soldered SMD PCBs I think

They have a noise gate @Cookiemonster https://pcbguitarmania.com/product/noise-terminator/
    One thing I didn't mention on the comp was the 10M resistor on the bright switch was absent, so I cludged a couple of 1Ms together. It's not quite right so I'm sure the switch isn't as effective as it could be seems to work at least a little bit. 

Will be trying with my bass "rig" later on today but a quick noodle suggests it works very nicely.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Thanks to wife taking care of the kids, I've been able to finish off a number of builds I had pending:

And also managed to change the pickups on my SG to an AlNiCo II set. Over the moon. Hadn't had this kind of time for weeks, months maybe. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Very productive @Yorkie ;
  • roberty said:
    20% off here with code Halloween20 

https://pcbguitarmania.com/product-category/smd/

Going to order some pre soldered SMD PCBs I think

They have a noise gate @Cookiemonster https://pcbguitarmania.com/product/noise-terminator/
    I missed this will check it out

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Still waiting for my LED bezels to arrive so I can finish the Mexicola/Mas Malo. Bit annoying!
    roberty said:
    Still waiting for my LED bezels to arrive so I can finish the Mexicola/Mas Malo. Bit annoying!
    Still waiting. They must be lost. eBay admin yay

I'm chatting to a guy in the US who has made some PCBs of a tone bender with a HM-2 tone stack. He has some other PCBs as well. $10 for a PCB. Anyone here interested? I'll grab the details of the others. The heavy bender on paper is awesome I'd love to hear it
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Still waiting. They must be lost. eBay admin yay

I'm chatting to a guy in the US who has made some PCBs of a tone bender with a HM-2 tone stack. He has some other PCBs as well. $10 for a PCB. Anyone here interested? I'll grab the details of the others. The heavy bender on paper is awesome I'd love to hear it
    Ah, shame. I don’t know if they will be what you are after but bitsbox have got led bezels. I’ve used them and they were alright. Here: https://www.bitsboxuk.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=172_239
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Its not a pedal yet, but slowly prototyping a drive pedal based on a favoured 70s practice amp. Gonna have some fun playing with the output stage of this circuit to make it closer still to the unusual output stage of this amp.

• Anyone got any recommendations for a Bass compressor build that isn't an Orange Squeezer? Preferably Vero. There doesn't seem to be many layouts around, so wondering if anyone has built one and has a recommendation? I've promised my bass player a compressor and would like something a bit more challenging/interesting than the orange squeezer.
    Anyone got any recommendations for a Bass compressor build that isn't an Orange Squeezer? Preferably Vero. There doesn't seem to be many layouts around, so wondering if anyone has built one and has a recommendation? I've promised my bass player a compressor and would like something a bit more challenging/interesting than the orange squeezer.
    Ross? http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/01/5-knob-compressor.html?m=1