Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    edited October 2019
    @beed84 ;Are we allowed to enter more than one photo? 
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    paulnb57 said:
    Are we allowed to enter more than one photo? 
    Don’t think so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    beed84 said:
    paulnb57 said:
    beed84 said:
    Thanks for the entries so far, keep 'em coming!  :)

Also, I noticed that camera settings have been added to the competition thread. Everyone okay with that?

I guess it could help others to try similar settings?......
    I absolutely agree; however, it was discussed when idea pooling that the 'comment thread' could/should be used for said settings to make the 'competition thread' text free. If everyone is happy with this info being there, then it's okay with me too  :)
    It makes much more sense (to me anyway) to have the settings in the post with the picture, rather than having to cross reference the comments in another thread. I can see you might not want the thread clogged up with lots of “nice shot” and “what guitar is that?” comments, but even that wouldn’t bother me. At the moment it’s all a bit confusing having two threads going and personally I’d be happy to just have one next time around. 

I’ll get a pic submitted soon btw. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    boogieman said:
    beed84 said:
    paulnb57 said:
    beed84 said:
    Thanks for the entries so far, keep 'em coming!  :)

Also, I noticed that camera settings have been added to the competition thread. Everyone okay with that?

I guess it could help others to try similar settings?......
    I absolutely agree; however, it was discussed when idea pooling that the 'comment thread' could/should be used for said settings to make the 'competition thread' text free. If everyone is happy with this info being there, then it's okay with me too  :)
    It makes much more sense (to me anyway) to have the settings in the post with the picture, rather than having to cross reference the comments in another thread. I can see you might not want the thread clogged up with lots of “nice shot” and “what guitar is that?” comments, but even that wouldn’t bother me. At the moment it’s all a bit confusing having two threads going and personally I’d be happy to just have one next time around. 

I’ll get a pic submitted soon btw. 
    I agree that having settings in the competition thread would be much easier. But for now at least, we'll keep the comments thread open for anything else people might want to talk about. And if it doesn't get used, then maybe we'll think about scrapping it later on.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Done! Just finished work and finally had some time and the right mood :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Done! Just finished work and finally had some time and the right mood :) 
    I really like your picture. I thought I'd set my ISO too low (well, forgotten to set it higher tbh), but yours isn't far off what mine was. I'm still getting to grips with not shooting in Auto mode...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

I really like your picture. I thought I'd set my ISO too low (well, forgotten to set it higher tbh), but yours isn't far off what mine was. I'm still getting to grips with not shooting in Auto mode...
    Yeah, if anything mine is a smidge underexposed, but I think it works for the low-key feel I wanted. The same shot could just as easily have become basic magazine/product photography with a slight settings tweak.

Once you’re past the initial decision of “is the exposure completely wrong inappropriate or basically ok”, it’s then all down to personal preference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yeah, if anything mine is a smidge underexposed, but I think it works for the low-key feel I wanted. The same shot could just as easily have become basic magazine/product photography with a slight settings tweak.

Once you’re past the initial decision of “is the exposure completely wrong inappropriate or basically ok”, it’s then all down to personal preference.
    I've taken quite a few photos now where I've forgotten to check the ISO and discovered that they're completely over exposed. In one case I didn't check until much later and the opportunity was lost...

I've taken quite a few photos now where I've forgotten to check the ISO and discovered that they're completely over exposed. In one case I didn't check until much later and the opportunity was lost...
    Yeah, but making mistakes is the best way to learn. 

Depending on what I'm doing, I either leave ISO on Auto (for general use) or its minimum setting (if I'm outside in daylight), then manually choose aperture and shutter based on how I want the photo to look (i.e. the mix of bokeh, sunstars, blurred or frozen movement). In effect I'm basically in Aperture-priority mode most of the time, although Fuji don't have that on a single dial setting like you'd see on a DSLR.

Yeah, but making mistakes is the best way to learn. 

Depending on what I'm doing, I either leave ISO on Auto (for general use) or its minimum setting (if I'm outside in daylight), then manually choose aperture and shutter based on how I want the photo to look (i.e. the mix of bokeh, sunstars, blurred or frozen movement). In effect I'm basically in Aperture-priority mode most of the time, although Fuji don't have that on a single dial setting like you'd see on a DSLR.
    I use aperture priority mode most of the time, but I think with the lens I've got the camera sometimes can't compensate for the ISO I've selected (or forgotten to change)

Only 8 entries in and 5 days left until the competition closes. Any more for any more?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I’ll be putting something in, just haven’t had the time when the light is decent. 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1002
    beed84 said:
    Only 8 entries in and 5 days left until the competition closes. Any more for any more?
    I'm still mulling over which one of my two mediocre attempts to submit and i'm blaming @stickyfiddle for his "product shot" comment...until then i thought they were both pretty decent and now I'm thinking Guitarist 5* promo shot  ;)

cj73 said:
    beed84 said:
    I'm still mulling over which one of my two mediocre attempts to submit and i'm blaming @stickyfiddle for his "product shot" comment...until then i thought they were both pretty decent and now I'm thinking Guitarist 5* promo shot 

I didn't mean it as a negative thing. Much more just that I'm trying to push myself to think more "arty" in all photography. 

FWIW, my other option was this one:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1002
    sorry @stickyfiddle i wasn't trying to imply your  comment was negative, just that it made me think again about the pics in a new light   

cj73 said:
    sorry @stickyfiddle i wasn't trying to imply your  comment was negative, just that it made me think again about the pics in a new light   

No worries. I’m looking forward to seeing yours!
  • cj73 said:
    beed84 said:
    I'm still mulling over which one of my two mediocre attempts to submit and i'm blaming @stickyfiddle for his "product shot" comment...until then i thought they were both pretty decent and now I'm thinking Guitarist 5* promo shot 

I didn't mean it as a negative thing. Much more just that I'm trying to push myself to think more "arty" in all photography. 

FWIW, my other option was this one:

I really like that

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    my rejects, all taken with my iphone:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    After taking what I hoped would be some "creative" shots for this months' competition, I went to collect my prints this afternoon only to find they hadn't exposed -- I was disappointed to say the least. However, I ended up walking away with a DSLR with the intention to recreate what I had in mind before the competition closes. Fingers crossed!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    beed84 said:
    After taking what I hoped would be some "creative" shots for this months' competition, I went to collect my prints this afternoon only to find they hadn't exposed -- I was disappointed to say the least. However, I ended up walking away with a DSLR with the intention to recreate what I had in mind before the competition closes. Fingers crossed!
    Have you worked out why they didn’t expose?
    beed84 said:
    Well, I got another ME Super body because the smear on the focusing screen on my other one was annoying me. I'm not entirely certain why they didn't expose, but it's possible the film slipped off the spool. Having said that, it did feel like it was advancing when I took shots, so it could be something else altogether.
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    Well, I got another ME Super body because the smear on the focusing screen on my other one was annoying me. I'm not entirely certain why they didn't expose, but it's possible the film slipped off the spool. Having said that, it did feel like it was advancing when I took shots, so it could be something else altogether.
    Are the negs completely blank?
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    Yep, completely blank. Any ideas?
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    Either the take up spool didn’t take up and the film stayed in the cartridge or the shutter isn’t firing at all. 

If you open the back will it let you fire a shot off to see if the shutter opens?
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    Either the take up spool didn’t take up and the film stayed in the cartridge or the shutter isn’t firing at all. 

If you open the back will it let you fire a shot off to see if the shutter opens?
    Thanks mate, it must've been the spool as the shutter is working fine. Noob lesson learned. 
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:

Thanks mate, it must've been the spool as the shutter is working fine. Noob lesson learned. 
    When you attach it, fire off at least 2 shots with the back open to make sure it’s taken up. Maybe even three. On a 36 exp roll you’ll still get 36 (or you might lose 1) but that’s better than losing 36 :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Either that, or the lab you sent it to are crap. 
  • @ourmaninthenorth I really like your photo - and that amp looks super-cool! What is it?

I've not had trouble with them before, so hopefully your first point is correct  :)
    beed84 said:
    I've not had trouble with them before, so hopefully your first point is correct  :)
    You should do your own developing - honestly.. it’s easy, requires a relatively small initial outlay, and each roll is 1/10 the price to develop compared to a lab. Heck, I’d even teach you how to do it - fool proof