Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Zero planning or artistic merit - through all those ideas out due to lack of time. Just a phone snap of the houndus this morning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Well, after having camera issues last competition, I figured out what the issue was and spent some time composing and taking shots. I trotted down to the camera shop last week to have the film developed only to be told that it can take up to 3 weeks for B&W film. So, although I had to resort to my iPhone SE again, I'm genuinely amazed at how good a relatively basic phone can be  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1002
    Not much inspiration / time this month..A slightly out of focus snap seemed closest to the topic
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    beed84 said:
    Well, after having camera issues last competition, I figured out what the issue was and spent some time composing and taking shots. I trotted down to the camera shop last week to have the film developed only to be told that it can take up to 3 weeks for B&W film. So, although I had to resort to my iPhone SE again, I'm genuinely amazed at how good a relatively basic phone can be  :)
    Have you ever tried Ilford’s XP2? It’s often frowned on as being a bit of a gimmick but even without the ease of developing as colour neg film, I’ve always preferred the look to either FP4 or HP5
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    beed84 said:
    We have spoken about this... develop at home ;)
    beed84 said:
    Well, after having camera issues last competition, I figured out what the issue was and spent some time composing and taking shots. I trotted down to the camera shop last week to have the film developed only to be told that it can take up to 3 weeks for B&W film. So, although I had to resort to my iPhone SE again, I'm genuinely amazed at how good a relatively basic phone can be 
    We have spoken about this... develop at home
    You're right, I have no excuse – I'll be in touch as soon as I have all the necessary kit. And time come to think of it  :)

The latest competition is now up. You can interpret the theme however you see fit, although @dazzajl suggested it "given the time of year". A hint? Complete bollocks? You choose... 
  • I'm absolutely loving @Budgie's shot this month :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
     Some great photos so far, its going to be hard this month.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    I've been busy. I went for a haircut this morning and took my camera (as you do) and thought I'd snap a pic in a dark alleyway round the corner. As I snapped the bloke appeared and shot me a nasty look. He had a dark look on his face .. ;-)

Some good pics ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited January 2020
    As others have said, there are some excellent entries this month. Due to a tough start to 2020, January blues and other stuff I could happily moan about, mine was a last minute shot taken last night. Another film related issue yet again forced me to use my iPhone and this was the best I could come up with – a photo of my front door on the outside looking in...

Fretwired said:
    I've been busy. I went for a haircut this morning and took my camera (as you do) and thought I'd snap a pic in a dark alleyway round the corner. As I snapped the bloke appeared and shot me a nasty look. He had a dark look on his face .. ;-)

Some good pics ..
    Serendipitous. I like it  
    @littlegreenman you are entered  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Oh bugger, missed it, some fantastic photos this month, good luck guys.
  • beed84 said:
    @littlegreenman you are entered  :)

Ta muchly
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    As previously, I wanted to get to my desktop screen to give the entries a fair assessment. Can't do that on a mobile.

Assuming none of us are the type of professional judge that visits camera clubs to tear the members' work apart it comes down to personal preference in this thread so my choices are very much subjective.

cj73's entry was the one that grabbed me: It met the brief perfectly and the exposure is very well balanced. My No 1.

There's a very surreal quality about littlegreenman's last-minute entry that keeps drawing me back to it. Nice work. My No 2.

Number three choice is really tricky as it is close run. I've settled on Budgie's entry which has lovely lighting. For me there was only a fag paper between that entry and dazzajl's.

I liked Skullfunkerry's different take on the darkness and light theme and I think that could probably be developed into something more powerful given time.

Well done to the other entrants -  all nice takes on the brief :)

My entry was very much a grab shot. I'd taken my kit in the hope of getting a decent railway shot or two but it was a miserable day so I gave up and left it in the car. Then we walked back over to get a cup of tea and I heard the train coming so I quickly borrowed my partner's compact and snatched the locomotive just as it exited the tunnel. That's not sunlight btw but a powerful street light that had come on because the afternoon was so dull!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    boogieman said:

It was a hard choice as always so well done you everyone. I’ve got too much in at the moment to enter but please keep this competition going @beed84 , love seeing people’s takes on the various themes. 

I've pinched this quote from the other thread to keep it conversational over here. Completely agree with this sentiment. Honestly I've been getting fucked over at work and feeling utterly uninspired for the last few weeks, but absolutely would like to keep going and will try very hard to get entries in for the upcoming months
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    boogieman said:

It was a hard choice as always so well done you everyone. I’ve got too much in at the moment to enter but please keep this competition going @beed84 , love seeing people’s takes on the various themes. 

I've pinched this quote from the other thread to keep it conversational over here. Completely agree with this sentiment. Honestly I've been getting fucked over at work and feeling utterly uninspired for the last few weeks, but absolutely would like to keep going and will try very hard to get entries in for the upcoming months
    It's funny you mention this and all remain positive about it, because the other day I looked at my camera and thought "What's the point?" It's low on my list of priorities and I don't get the time to actually make it a part of my life. I considered selling it to put towards something else and announce my departure from all things photography here. 

However, the entries come in and they're just brilliant. They're the sort of inspiration that makes me want to take photos like you guys do. And there's a certain something in a good photo that can't be put into words. I like that. 

So, when you remark with enthusiasm that you want this to keep going, I genuinely appreciate it. Not just because we get to see various interpretations on a theme, but also because it gives me hope an inspiration that I can take good photos too, not least a good kick up the backside!

So with that said, your competition is safe :)  
    boogieman said:

I feel your pain, having exactly the same issue, haven't properly picked a guitar up since before Christmas,  when I try nothing comes out! 
  • beed84 said:
    boogieman said:

It's funny you mention this and all remain positive about it, because the other day I looked at my camera and thought "What's the point?" It's low on my list of priorities and I don't get the time to actually make it a part of my life. I considered selling it to put towards something else and announce my departure from all things photography here. 

However, the entries come in and they're just brilliant. They're the sort of inspiration that makes me want to take photos like you guys do. And there's a certain something in a good photo that can't be put into words. I like that. 

So, when you remark with enthusiasm that you want this to keep going, I genuinely appreciate it. Not just because we get to see various interpretations on a theme, but also because it gives me hope an inspiration that I can take good photos too, not least a good kick up the backside!

So with that said, your competition is safe :)  
    I mentioned before that I was feeling quite down on myself when I was trying to find a shot for one of the challenges, and considering selling camera and just buying a point & shoot... then I got a couple of cracking shots and felt better. Since Xmas I've bought a couple of lenses and really got into it, I'm enjoying it very much now and it's mostly to do with this challenge. Thank you @beed84 - should we cross paths at a jam or something I'd like to buy you a pint
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

Some amazing stuff made by you all again this month, have loved seeing all the shots being posted. Really tough to pick three and then put them in to an order. In the end, I've picked Jonanthangus because that shot is literally all about the light and couldn't be more distilled to the idea of "Out of the Darl/Into the Light"

To everyone saying that they'd like to be able to have more time and opportunity to make photos, it's really really hard. Probably much harder than finding a few minutes to pick up a guitar. It's well worth getting a few things or places that you'd like to photograph in mind ahead of time. Then actually putting a little time your diary for you and your camera. Even if it's just an hour or two and weeks away, it keep the whole idea alive in your mind instead of having you feel like you neglect it.

And of course this monthly competition is amazing for getting us all going. More huge thanks to @beed84 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Fretwired said:

and that concludes the case for the defence... 

Seriously, I do wonder if I wandered around now taking the pictures I took when I was 18 or 20, sometimes with long lenses, would I get a more hostile response as a greyer man
    Jimbro66 said:
    boogieman said:
    Thanks for the comment @Jimbro66. I thought the dog shot fitted the brief better but I liked both pics...it was a hard choice. Both were taken with my new (to me) Sony Rx100 rather than my usual Canon 5d3. It’s a cracking  thing, the image quality is stunning for such a tiny little camera. 

@boogieman I’m amazed that a camera with a sensor maybe a fifth the size (?) of your 5D3’s produces such impressive images. Incredible technology. I have to say that I have all but given up on my bulky DSLR and lenses kit in favour of a little Fuji X-E3 with a few small prime lenses. As they say, the best camera is the one you have with you.

that's the way I went, sold my Canon 5D mk1 after 10 years to move to Fuji X.
    The Lowepro full of Canon gear had started to get left behind at home for every holiday, every day out
    boogieman said:
    ToneControl said: I remember one friend getting his first autofocus compact 35mm camera around 1993-94, and starting to come up with well-composed pictures just from days out with his girlfriend after 3 rolls of film, and no training or research.

Contrast that with a guy who worked for me around 2007, who bought a decent Canon small-sensor DSLR, and took photography incredibly seriously, who was still taking truly awful photos at least 3 years later. Another guy from back then bought a 5D and all the glass, and took the most boring photos too. Mind you, that reflected his personality I think. 
    My dad was the ultimate all the gear and no idea photographer. He had some nice cameras over the years but always managed to screw up the shots somehow, usually vastly overexposed or out of focus. He was also pretty mean with his film... when he died I was going through his stuff and found one 24 shot slide film that he’d somehow managed to eke out over two years, including a spectacular trip across the mountains from Switzerland into Italy. 

Contrast that with his brother, who only had a fairly modest SLR, but did all his own developing and printing and turned out some lovely shots. 
    My first camera was a Zenit E, I think it was less than £20 second hand around 1980

All manual, just a basic light meter built in.
    I used to use a roll of film up over a couple of weeks, then get it processed. 
    It would have been so much easier to learn and improve with a DSLR!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    boogieman said:
    ToneControl said: I remember one friend getting his first autofocus compact 35mm camera around 1993-94, and starting to come up with well-composed pictures just from days out with his girlfriend after 3 rolls of film, and no training or research.

Contrast that with a guy who worked for me around 2007, who bought a decent Canon small-sensor DSLR, and took photography incredibly seriously, who was still taking truly awful photos at least 3 years later. Another guy from back then bought a 5D and all the glass, and took the most boring photos too. Mind you, that reflected his personality I think. 
    My dad was the ultimate all the gear and no idea photographer. He had some nice cameras over the years but always managed to screw up the shots somehow, usually vastly overexposed or out of focus. He was also pretty mean with his film... when he died I was going through his stuff and found one 24 shot slide film that he’d somehow managed to eke out over two years, including a spectacular trip across the mountains from Switzerland into Italy. 

Contrast that with his brother, who only had a fairly modest SLR, but did all his own developing and printing and turned out some lovely shots. 
    My first camera was a Zenit E, I think it was less than £20 second hand around 1980

I’ve still got my Zenit. Really clunky but built like a tank. When the apocalypse comes, all that will be left are cockroaches, Nokia mobiles and Zenits. 
    I’ve still got my first semi-decent 35mm too, a Beirette sold by Boots. I bought it in the 60s through saving up my pocket money for months on end. 
  • I might have a go next month. Will see what I can muster up with the Huawei.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    beed84 said:
    My votes are:

1. @Jonathangus – lots of character and very well suited to theme. Love it 
    2. @dazzajl – because it's intense, moody, and strangely captivating
    3. @littlegreenman – I love how you've captured light and dark with your shot. I'm glad you submitted it!

Great effort all. Keep up the good work   

Actually read that as “because he’s.....”

How fabulous it would have been  :3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    dazzajl said:
    beed84 said:
    My votes are:

1. @Jonathangus – lots of character and very well suited to theme. Love it 
    2. @dazzajl – because it's intense, moody, and strangely captivating
    3. @littlegreenman – I love how you've captured light and dark with your shot. I'm glad you submitted it!

Great effort all. Keep up the good work   

Actually read that as “because he’s.....”

How fabulous it would have been  :3
    Who's saying you're not "it"?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Competition for February is now up. 

Also, I'm thinking of changing the rules slightly, which I hope will benefit everyone. I'll report back this weekend with my thoughts. In the meantime, happy snapping :)
  • I will have a go this time round. Already have a shot in mind.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • boogieman said:
    boogieman said:

I’ve still got my Zenit. Really clunky but built like a tank. When the apocalypse comes, all that will be left are cockroaches, Nokia mobiles and Zenits. 
    I’ve still got my first semi-decent 35mm too, a Beirette sold by Boots. I bought it in the 60s through saving up my pocket money for months on end. 
    My first new camera was a Zenit E too in about 1980. I’ve still got it somewhere. I’m still only on my second - A Pentax K1000, which is pretty similar spec but much better made and with a wider choice of lenses etc. I’m getting nostalgic for film.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    I will have a go this time round. Already have a shot in mind.

Give us a clue ... I'm stumped (other than the obvious jump off a cliff) .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!