Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• A guy I sometimes drink with, his son has done some p/t bar work in our local. Both father & son have let it be known that son wants a proper tech-y job, so I told them to get his cv in to my employer.

Turns out another chap who works for my employer wants to move on to other things and has let it be known that he intends to do so, inside or outside of the company, so his job is going to be up for grabs in a few months' time.

Mr MD read the cv and asked me if it was worth interviewing aforesaid young chap, and I opined that it would be.

This evening I learned that the interview had been had, and that this young guy would be starting a 3 month probation period, following that if he's got the hang of the job by then, the job is his.

Result :)
    This 'ere young chap has had his "after your first month" interview with Mr MD, and has passed muster, so he's good for the next 2 months. :)

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Good for him, and good for you, too, for getting him the intro.  What's he doing, cutting code?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nitefly said:
    Good for him, and good for you, too, for getting him the intro.  What's he doing, cutting code?
    No, he's been helping out with some electronics assembly, but that's not when he was hired for. He's intended to be helping our chap who processes a lot of the customer orders by getting a product list together and specifying the equipment to satisfy that order. I hope to get him into costing out our new PCBs by taking the BOM and finding suppliers of the components, selecting the ones with the most advantageous price/delivery time etc.

I wouldn't mind him learning the noble art of programming, or even software design, but so far he has shown more inclination to the higher levels of putting systems together. His formal education has been more in electronics and IT rather than software.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    It's just been a really good day.  Big family reunion at my uncle's funeral and because he was such an awesome bloke we all had a good time.  Big Irish funeral. 

And... today I got some extra letters after my name.  Doesn't matter what they are, (I won't stick 'em on my card) but I'm kinda proud of getting them cos it was a lot of work.  But I did it for the clinical knowledge rather than the letters.  Nice to get the acknowledgement though.

Hope everyone had a good day too!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • For the first time in about 6 months I actually played my guitar, and enjoyed it!

After a very deep lull in my life I may be on the up.

Baby steps but it was a start, depression sucks balls big time.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My Sweet Lord for the first time since new headphones. STUNNING.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • in 2 weeks from today the days in Blighty start getting longer again :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I was off for Xmas Day, but now I'm not. Yay !!!

Oh, hang on.......
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5772
    jd0272 said:
    I was off for Xmas Day, but now I'm not. Yay !!!

Oh, hang on.......
    Lol

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• I'm coming home in 2 weeks :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    edited January 2016
    Spent Saturday in a little studio in Basildon. They have an old Midas desk from a studio in Denmark Street!
    Anyway the band (when they woke up) got the groove going (10:00 am is so very early) and in the end it sounded very nice. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, can't wait to mix down and master the demo.

• I'm coming home in 2 weeks :)
    for good, or temporarily?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    New (company) car day.....Focus Titanium X delivered this morning.

Like this one (but with the steering wheel on the other side and the background is an industrial estate so not quite as pretty).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852

I'm coming home in 2 weeks :)
    for good, or temporarily?
    Twas only for xmas, of which I actually worked 8+ hours more often than not. Won't go into detail on the happy thread...
    @Sambostar he don't half cheer a bloke up when his bollocks have just been hoofed by something good at hoofing bollocks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I am going to be an uncle! I knew this at christmas, but it turns out as of 2 days ago it's going to be twins. I am somewhat nervous (though presumably less so than my sister...), but looking forward to being the cool uncle who lives far away and brings exciting presents when he visits!
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited February 2016
    Lots of BOGOF opportunities there - oh, and congrats!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    I haz gf :)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @Bucket you cheeky sod! Nice one :D
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5772
    Bucket said:
    I look forward to you shit that boils your piss thread post in about 3/4 months ;)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    lloyd said:
    Bucket said:
    I look forward to you shit that boils your piss thread post in about 3/4 months ;)
    Come on man, gimme a break :(

(I assume this was meant in jest, but still...)
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I play at my dining room table.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Deadman said:
    Hmmmm, good idea, needs more work.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    It was on Room 101 last night. I haven't laughed so much in ages!
    I play at my dining room table.
    PM's from relative strangers on 'here' out of the blue, being really supportive and quite frankly, making me cry as it was so appreciated.

:)
  • THERE IS A NEW WINE SHOP A 5 MINUTE WALK FROM MY FLAT AND IT IS REALLY GOOD AND REASONABLY PRICED. 

When you live in the Middle East this is a MAJOR development. I am writing this with a glass of prosecco in my hand. :)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice one Mike.

Cheers!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I got a pay rise (well, cost of living really, but still nice) despite only joining the company 8 months ago. This is apparently rather rare and took my boss and his boss (who is a Vice President) some careful negotiation with HR. Apparently I'm not too bad at this.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1394
    I'm out the doghouse.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Not judging by your avatar you're not.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter