Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Behold my massive board of pedals - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Behold my massive board of pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Took this as a snapshot of settings after soundcheck on Thursday. 3 delays feels like too much, But they're making totally different sounds so I'm gonna see how I feel about it in a few weeks.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Spent about 5 hours knocking up new cables for the board this weekend as theres some new arrivals coming - turns out most of the leads (Crosby patrhless cable kits) dont work. Ugh. I think im going to stick to the chunky ernie ball patch cables as life is just too short to try and work out which of about 50 cables isnt working or is being temperamental. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of a more fail safe cable making kit? Im not up to soldering TBH!

I've never had any problems with Lava Tightrope cables. I also make my own with SquarePlugs plugs and Van Damme XKE patch cable. To be honest, the solderless option is much easier and less time-consuming.

I've not tried the Crosby kits but, assuming they're not garbage, it sounds like you just need work on your technique!

R.
    Thanks Robin - yes im 100% open to the theory that im the weakest link in the chain with the cables. Will take them apart and re screw them - and if that doesnt work will post a pic of the entire rig in flames ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 162
    I bought 4 packs of the Harley Benton solderless cables from Thomanna few months back (used to have George L's but sold them years ago). Reviews weren't brilliant but I took a punt and despite unplugging stuff many times in my usual heavy handed way, have not has a single failure yet.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_solder_free_patch_cable_kit.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4rXoeP9-QIV2e7tCh1FfwyBEAQYASABEgJigvD_BwE

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thats good to hear Jim. EIther im doing something wrong or more than half of my 2 packs of Crosby ones didnt work, or are intermittent. Will try the Harley Bentons!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Here’s my current board. I’m a bassist if you can’t tell!

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JproudbassJproudbass Frets: 1
    edited September 2022

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    dilbert said:
    roberty said:
    Retro board! Did this for a thing this weekend

These are pedals I've used for a long time, the Rat, DD-3 and AD-9 are actual units I've owned for over 20 years. Kind of puts things into perspective. I sold my old DOD 250 because it didn't have an LED, shame cos it looked knackered like the rest of these

For low-mid gain I use the 250 as a base tone and the Rat for a lead boost. For high gain I would reverse the order and have the Rat for the base tone and the 250 to boost solos. These pedals just work for me, can cover so much ground 

Reverb and tremolo on the amp 

@roberty, where did you get the patch leads with pancake connectors from?

Cheers 
    Sorry mate I've not been a very good forum member. I got these patch leads in 2016 for £22. I wouldn't pay what they're asking now. Quite distressing to see this!

6 Units - Mogami 2319-6 Inch (15 cm) - Guitar Bass Effects Instrument, Patch Cable with ¼ Inch Low-Profile, Right Angled Pancake type Connectors https://amzn.eu/d/60EFLNY
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Amazon sells Switchcraft knockoffs from underwood, 10 plugs for 8 quid. those and a few metres of instrument cable is the cheapest way if you can solder your own up
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited September 2022
    Finally replaced my broken Behringer analog delay with a reverb which works way better for me, so here's my current very modest board! Got the NUX Oceanic for cheap and it sounds great to me, nice and easy to use without many settings to faff with, just decay and level. I think it's currently on the plate firmware, going to try the hall which I think I'll like more. Just want to add a Phase 90 and that's probably me sorted for a while.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    edited September 2022
    Not exactly massive but does what it needs to do....
    Zoom has been re-flashed with my choice of effects from the 50, 60 & 70.
    https://i.imgur.com/CyAQRWh.jpg
    Part of my happy place....
    https://i.imgur.com/V0KZS9Q.jpg
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • Here's the latest. I'm feeling really good about this lot. Once I've got the reverb section and a tuner sorted, I'll move it all on to a board. First time I've ever considered a board, so that speaks volumes about how content I am with these pedals.

If anyone's selling a Mr. Black Thunderclaw, let me know, I think it'll fit in nicely.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 199
    roberty said:
    dilbert said:
    roberty said:
    Retro board! Did this for a thing this weekend

These are pedals I've used for a long time, the Rat, DD-3 and AD-9 are actual units I've owned for over 20 years. Kind of puts things into perspective. I sold my old DOD 250 because it didn't have an LED, shame cos it looked knackered like the rest of these

For low-mid gain I use the 250 as a base tone and the Rat for a lead boost. For high gain I would reverse the order and have the Rat for the base tone and the 250 to boost solos. These pedals just work for me, can cover so much ground 

Reverb and tremolo on the amp 

@roberty, where did you get the patch leads with pancake connectors from?

Cheers 
    Sorry mate I've not been a very good forum member. I got these patch leads in 2016 for £22. I wouldn't pay what they're asking now. Quite distressing to see this!

6 Units - Mogami 2319-6 Inch (15 cm) - Guitar Bass Effects Instrument, Patch Cable with ¼ Inch Low-Profile, Right Angled Pancake type Connectors https://amzn.eu/d/60EFLNY
    @roberty, thanks for the info, much appreciated.   
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 199
    elstoof said:
    Amazon sells Switchcraft knockoffs from underwood, 10 plugs for 8 quid. those and a few metres of instrument cable is the cheapest way if you can solder your own up
    @elstoof, and thanks to you, too!
  • DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 108
    edited September 2022
    Super happy with this set up! My band is doing more of an electronic thing at the minute while our drummer is away. This board amply covers both that and our usual heavier riff-based sound.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Doveholes said:
    Super happy with this set up! My band is doing more of an electronic thing at the minute while our drummer is away. This board amply covers both that and our usual heavier riff-based sound.

Beauty! How do remember what switch does what on the Quartermaster without labels though?!
  • DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 108
    edited September 2022
    Lebarque said:
    Beauty! How do remember what switch does what on the Quartermaster without labels though?!

Cheers! I hear ya on that. Especially as I just spent hours cleaning the previous owner's sticker residue off.

They loosely correlate with what is above and make some sort of sense to me. Loop 1 - tuner, Loop 2 - phaser, Loop 3 - Deco, Loop 4 - Space Bender, Loop 5 - Visitor, Loop 6 - Dweller, Loop 7 - delays, Loop 8 - reverb, Loop 9 - fuzzes, Loop 10 - boost.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 731
    edited October 2022
    Nothing exotic and nothing exciting either! I’m trying to reduce the board to just the bare essentials! Foot switch varies depending on which amp I use. That’s the JVM 410. I also use a DSL100HR or an EVH 5150 100. (All the amp foot switches are of similar size so it’s convenient)

https://i.imgur.com/qFSUFl6.jpg

• More updates to the board - I got the 2022 Duellist - really pleased I did - although some people say it's only a slight difference between the previous version - I find having the string singer side in amp like mode and SRV mod mode it's just a perfect tone into the Vemuram. It gets rid of the slight boxy or nasally that tone that I felt the previous version had, although I still loved the previous version. I got the Cali 76 from fretfinder here, I really like it - fattens up single coils in a nice way! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Still in the drawer, still playing bass but everything shrunk. So impressed by the Carbon Copy Mini, I appear to have bought the company...

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Doveholes said:

Lovely board. How is the Deep Phase working out, had my eye on it for a while?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • solarsolar Frets: 157
    Doveholes said:

How’s the Space Bender? I generally hate chorus but I quite like the look of that.
  • JotaJota Frets: 449
    Trimmed down for a fly gig.
    Worked great!

• KylefKylef Frets: 1013
    New board for an upcoming tour. Decided on a Quartermaster after a mishap with a malfunctioning pedal in a big venue - never felt stress like it!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • solarsolar Frets: 157
    Kylef said:
    New board for an upcoming tour. Decided on a Quartermaster after a mishap with a malfunctioning pedal in a big venue - never felt stress like it!

Echodrive! Only ever seen one other - Isiaih Mitchell from Earthless. Amazing sounding thing. Great board you have there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Guitar board for the work band. Mostly gain stages cos I don't know exactly what am I'll be using yet. RD and Deco saturation side are always-on. Jan Ray for more beef and Stratoblaster for more volume when needed. 

I'd consider swapping the Deco for something subtly swirly but I'm only doing 2-3 songs on guitar so don't want to overthink things. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    edited October 2022
    Guitar board for the work band. Mostly gain stages cos I don't know exactly what am I'll be using yet. RD and Deco saturation side are always-on. Jan Ray for more beef and Stratoblaster for more volume when needed. 

I'd consider swapping the Deco for something subtly swirly but I'm only doing 2-3 songs on guitar so don't want to overthink things. 

I can just make out that's a Nano+ board but what is the PSU underneath?
  • Keefy said:
    '1 Spot' ?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Keefy said:
    '1 Spot' ?
    CS7 maybe?

@Keefy I'm loving the vagabond trem. Got some interesting noises using velocity controlled trem into velocity controlled filters on the M5. Will be good for production. Tremolo into tremolo is fun as well, they fall in and out of phase with each other. Could be useful for filling out a song section without taking up much space 
  • @tone1 How do you like the Les Luis? I quite fancy the High Powered Tweed Twin pedal they do, but thees Luis has that one side and more of a tweed deluxe the other right?