Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Fractal Thread - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    DavusPG said:
    I think the Helix crew really would disagree with it being a marginal improvement. Apparently it sounds better than ever and by all accounts, it seems that Fractal's implementation, assuming it includes a similar feature set, is going to sound good too.
    I've never played one, but maybe the Helix crowd are a fair bit behind the Fractal crowd? Not saying it won't be better, but by your own admission, honestly how much better can the Fractal get:
    They'll have to do some pretty groundbreaking stuff to warrant forking out for an Axe FX IV, I mean there's absolutely nothing left to desire with this unit as far as I'm concerned.
    I wholeheartedly agree with your comment above. Was just saying that I can't see this being enough to warrant forking out on new hardware.
    Touche! :-) I completely agree (with myself?!) But as we're used to seeing, they seem to be raving over it on the Fractal forum. Perhaps things could get better, who knows. But I will definitely admit that I've got very little appetite to spend more on a new unit.
    But don't forget, they're all fully vested members of the Cult of Cliff on the Fractal forum....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Any recommendations for a carry case for the FM9?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I could really do with rationalising a thorough plan of action by way of a step by step routine for resetting blocks after firmware updates, when necessary.

Has anyone got any go to rituals that they follow?

This thread helps, but it's a bit all over the place regarding advice details.

On a separate note, firmware update today:

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Fixed Tuner not working if Offsets are on.

Improved dynamic speaker modeling in Amp block.

Reverted bypass speed of Drive block to fast.

Fixed channel changes on blocks with “Slow Bypass” are not smooth.

Fixed IR(s) not loading in Cabinet block when switching channels if previous channel had a slot Soloed.

Fixed presets with lots of modifiers (>20) and moderately high CPU usage can cause starvation of graphics thread.

Improved Tuner.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-firmware-version-21-04.191876/

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 403
    New firmware beta just released for all you fellow FM9 users. Some nice additions:

Version 4.01 - Feb. 23, 2023​

Added new Amp type: “59 Bassguy Reissue Jumped”.
    Added new Drive types: “Bosom Boost”, “Boss OD-One” Overdrive.
    Added “Paragon” type to Wah block based on the Tycobrahe Parapedal wah.
    Added “Oxbow Loadbox” and “Double Notes Loadbox” speaker impedance curves based on a Universal Audio Ox and Two Notes Torpedo, respectively. (Note that these are amp block impedance curve options and not new IRs in the Cab block.)
    Added “JP IIC+ Shred” Input Boost type to Amp block. This replicates the “Shred” switch on the Mesa/Boogie JP2C.
    Added Amp block new parameter “Input Dynamics” (as found on Axe-Fx III). When set below zero, the amp input is compressed, resulting in a smoother, less dynamic sound. When set greater than zero, the amp input is expanded, resulting in a punchier, crunchier and more dynamic sound. Note that extreme values can have undesirable side effects such as pumping or clipping.
    Added new “Startup Preset” option under SETUP: Global Settings. This determines which preset is loaded at startup.
    Changed bypass/engage speed for the following blocks: Filter, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, Tremolo and Wah. These blocks now bypass/engage with a gentle fade as rapid bypass/engage with these types of blocks can sound abrupt.
    New large fonts display mode for the main Presets/Scenes view (Home page of the Home menu). Turn Knob B (“Zoom”) to switch between small fonts and large fonts. In Large mode:
    Turn the Value knob and then press ENTER to change the preset. (Presets are shown in “preview” as dim text until you press Enter.) When previewing presets, NAV left/right = -1/+1 preset and NAV down/up = -10/+10 presets.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    One thing is for sure. 

You absolutely cannot knock the frequency and quality of updates the Fractal ecosystem receives. 
  • Only major purchase on my list this year is an FM9 turbo. Really enjoy reading about how much gets added to these things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    jmf1928 said:
    Only major purchase on my list this year is an FM9 turbo. Really enjoy reading about how much gets added to these things. 
    For what it's worth, my FM9T has changed my opinion of modelling and how viable it is for me to use it live. Very rarely I gig with my amps since getting the FM9T. 

It's awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What's the view on the fm9t Vs a quad cortex?

I love my cortex but the (lack of) midi control across parameters is doing my head in
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    New cab mixing method coming soon..

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.jpeg 1007.9K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This looks great. I have every hope that it'll sound good too. From experience, playing with can/mic positioning in software such as Two Notes and Amplitube is so much easier and gives me more satisfactory results than I've ever got with IRs. Fingers crossed it's superb!

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited March 2023
    Cliff has confirmed that the new 'Dyna-cab' stuff is being beta tested, including users beta testing on Mark I devices. Great news.

• Been searching for the ideal protection for my FM9. Just ordered from Farnell a 22-24155 case. Bomb proof plastic, foam lined and waterproof. Room under the FM9 for a few bits and pieces. £53 posted.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Been searching for the ideal protection for my FM9. Just ordered from Farnell a 22-24155 case. Bomb proof plastic, foam lined and waterproof. Room under the FM9 for a few bits and pieces. £53 posted.
    This one? BLACK 28\"X16.5\"X7\" WATERPROOF CASE | 22-24155 Farnell UK

Have had that in shopping basket for a while - how much space is there between end of FM9 and plastic case lengthways?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Been searching for the ideal protection for my FM9. Just ordered from Farnell a 22-24155 case. Bomb proof plastic, foam lined and waterproof. Room under the FM9 for a few bits and pieces. £53 posted.
    This one? BLACK 28\"X16.5\"X7\" WATERPROOF CASE | 22-24155 Farnell UK

Have had that in shopping basket for a while - how much space is there between end of FM9 and plastic case lengthways?
    There's a video on Youtube and it looks like a couple of inches each end. You cut out the foam insert so it fits perfectly...
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Hey FM3 users,

I'm tring to use an external dual switch to increment and decrement my scenes. 

I'm in the MIDI/Remote menu, in the other tab. I have Scene Increment set as Pedal 1 (EXP/SW TIP) and Decrement set as Pedal 1 (SW Ring). When I press either, it changes scene by 2 or 3 scenes rather than the next. I have tried changing it from push to make to push to break, still same effect. Any Idea?
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    Have you set the Pedal input 1 up as a switch rather than an expression pedal? 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Have you set the Pedal input 1 up as a switch rather than an expression pedal? 
    Yes, I done that in the I/O Pedal settings. Pedal set as 2 switches (Tip&Ring)
    My Trading Feedback

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 593
    edited March 2023
    nero1701 said:
    Hey FM3 users,

I'm tring to use an external dual switch to increment and decrement my scenes. 

I'm in the MIDI/Remote menu, in the other tab. I have Scene Increment set as Pedal 1 (EXP/SW TIP) and Decrement set as Pedal 1 (SW Ring). When I press either, it changes scene by 2 or 3 scenes rather than the next. I have tried changing it from push to make to push to break, still same effect. Any Idea?
    I set my external dual momentary switch up as a stand in switch using unused slots on one of the layouts. That way, you get to use both tap and hold functions. In my use case, a tap on either switch goes between Effect and Scenes view, hold on one activates the tuner and hold on the other toggles a control switch. Might be an alternative way of achieving what you're after with added functionality..
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Is the switch momentary or latching, and which type is it set up as in the FM3?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    It is a Momentary, set up as Momentary. 

I believe, I've worked out the issue!!

When I press it increments and when I release...it increments a 2nd time. I think the switch is generating the Make/Break twice. I'm 99% sure I've another Switch that i'll try in place of one to see if that indeed is the issue.

Many thanks for all the responses.
    My Trading Feedback

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 593
    nero1701 said:
    Roland said:
    It is a Momentary, set up as Momentary. 

I believe, I've worked out the issue!!

When I press it increments and when I release...it increments a 2nd time. I think the switch is generating the Make/Break twice. I'm 99% sure I've another Switch that i'll try in place of one to see if that indeed is the issue.

Many thanks for all the responses.
    It's also worth messing with the settings for external switches in the FM3 - try changing from "Normally Open" to "Normally Closed" or vice versa.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    edited March 2023
    New AFX3 beta is out with the new Dyna-Cab modelling.

EDIT - Leon has posted an overview vid - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/quick-overview-of-dyna-cabs.193198/
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 403
    Excellent, looks like a great and intuitive way to tweak IRs to taste. Look forward to it arriving on the FM9 
    Encountered a strange issue with the pitch block at a gig on Sunday. 

I have virtual capo and quad detune setup on the pitch block. 

One is my Eb button, the other is a dual octave thing. I switch between them with press and hold switching and turn them on and off with a single tap. Cool. 

No problems usually. 

However, the dual octave channel of the pitch block now sounds like it is delayed. A relatively short slapback after the note is played with the octaved notes coming in. This never used to happen. 

Virtual capo still works as normal. Only the quad detune does this. Usually it tracks immediately. The preset hasn't changed. The CPU usage hasn't changed. 

I'm hoping if I remove the block and then add it back in it'll cure it as it could just be a weird glitch, but just wondered if there's anything else I might be missing? I checked all the delays and offsets on the screen between sets and couldn't see any settings that immediately looked weird. 

Any thoughts would be cool. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    @Nerine There’s a known fault when the Pitch block is turned on, and set to virtual capo with a Detune of 0. The solution is to bypass the block.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    @Nerine There’s a known fault when the Pitch block is turned on, and set to virtual capo with a Detune of 0. The solution is to bypass the block.
    Interesting, thanks. My virtual capo is set to -1 for Eb stuff, so will investigate further. 

Could be the default channel for the preset is throwing it out or something. Either way, worked previously, so should be able to get it back to that state I would think. 
    Nerine said:
    Roland said:
    Interesting, thanks. My virtual capo is set to -1 for Eb stuff, so will investigate further. 

Could be the default channel for the preset is throwing it out or something. Either way, worked previously, so should be able to get it back to that state I would think. 
    Hooked it up via FM9 Edit. 

Changed the block channel effect to something different, changed it back. Seems fine now. Weird. 
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 358
    edited May 2023
    Hey Fractal friends, can anybody tell me if there's a setting which links the scene levels to all outputs? ATM I'm having to level each one individually for all three outputs, can't be right can it?
    Hey Fractal friends, can anybody tell me if there's a setting which links the scene levels to all outputs? ATM I'm having to level each one individually for all three outputs, can't be right can it?
    There isnt. Its best practice to use the Amp block output level to level the preset as this applies to any downstream outputs and allows a post amp boost block to be used without worrying about clipping.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 358
    mrkb said:
    There isnt. Its best practice to use the Amp block output level to level the preset as this applies to any downstream outputs and allows a post amp boost block to be used without worrying about clipping.
    Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, I'm trying to find out why all my scene volumes are different in the different outputs. I would have thought they would default to be all the same as I've programmed them. It seems an awful faff to have to go through each one for each output and put them right.