Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!! - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240 said: 
    Dude, Looks like you have a car full....I also have a HB 2 x 12 I can stick in the Landrover if you want to leave yours at home?
    I'm actually picking the cab up from Birmingham on the way there mate, hence it'll be with me anyway. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    I've grabbed the lyrics for the stuff Alnico was singing so can fill in on those 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blimey I have only just gone back pages to catch up, really sorry to read @Alnico , hope you get an easier and happier ride soon.

is anyone staying over?
  • Only one more sleep so I'm off to bed now, night all
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• horsehorse Frets: 1502
    Just a quick thought for anyone who might be nervous about playing tomorrow - I'd expect some of the tracks will naturally work better than others first time off - if you don't feel yours gelled as well then whatever you do don't take it to heart - we find in our band that some covers just work the first time we try them, and others take more effort and repeated attempts to get sounding good, and that's with the same players who know each other pretty well. Just thought it worth saying in advance cos its true
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • horse said:
    Just a quick thought for anyone who might be nervous about playing tomorrow - I'd expect some of the tracks will naturally work better than others first time off - if you don't feel yours gelled as well then whatever you do don't take it to heart - we find in our band that some covers just work the first time we try them, and others take more effort and repeated attempts to get sounding good, and that's with the same players who know each other pretty well. Just thought it worth saying in advance cos its true
    Be honest, what you meant to say was "sometimes it takes the bass player a good few goes through to remember how to play the fucking instrument"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    horse said:
    Wise words. I've just run through the songs I'm playing on bass and I couldnt call what will work well and what will work less well. I'm getting really nervous about my guitar ones and worried about the Kossoff one. Oh well if anyone wants to give me tips on vibrato (so glad Im not using predictive) I'm game. 

I asked this a week or so ago but no response:

Are *all* songs being done in the original key? 

or put another way:

If anyone is playing a song that I or Alnico were down to sing, and it's NOT in the original key, please shout now! 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • TimmyO said:

or put another way:

If anyone is playing a song that I or Alnico were down to sing, and it's NOT in the original key, please shout now! 
    IIRC they are all original key.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited September 2017
    TimmyO said:

or put another way:

@TimmyO keys listed:
    Learning to Fly C
    Mustang Sally C
    Fortunate Son G
    Allright Now A
    Cupids Dead E orig Eb
    Crossroads A
    Midnight Hour E
    Call me the Breeze F#
     Shake a Tailfeather D
     Anarchy In The UK C
    Beat It Em orig Eb
    Plug In Baby D but some F#
     Sunshine of your Love D
    Running Down a Dream E
    Foxy lady F# orig F
    Hard to handle B
    Roadhouse Blues E
    Pretty Vacant A

All are original keys except Cupid's Dead, Beat It and Foxy Lady which are a semitone up from the original because on the original the guitars are tuned to Eb. 
  • Remember to take a capo if you're playing on Call Me The Breeze. Actually, although it was recorded in F# I've never come across a video of him playing it live in anything other than E. I wonder why that is ;)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    bigjon said:
    TimmyO said:

or put another way:

@TimmyO keys listed:
    Learning to Fly C
    Mustang Sally C
    Fortunate Son G
    Allright Now A
    Cupids Dead E orig Eb
    Crossroads A
    Midnight Hour E
    Call me the Breeze F#
     Shake a Tailfeather D
     Anarchy In The UK C
    Beat It Em orig Eb
    Plug In Baby D but some F#
     Sunshine of your Love D
    Running Down a Dream E
    Foxy lady F# orig F
    Hard to handle B
    Roadhouse Blues E
    Pretty Vacant A

All are original keys except Cupid's Dead, Beat It and Foxy Lady which are a semitone up from the original because on the original the guitars are tuned to Eb. 
    awesome, ta
  • 'singing' and 'in key' will not be used words when I do my Pretty Vacant
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 'singing' and 'in key' will not be used words when I do my Pretty Vacant
    So, lets cover this off... what's a key?  Do I need to bring my keys...?

<joking, I'm joking... though you wont think I am when you've heard me sing/play >
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2017
    OK, I'm just thinking about logistics for the video/audio thing - I've now got two functional cameras, and I'll be taking my laptop/audio interface/a pair of AKG C1000S mics so we can get some vaguely decent footage.

I'm thinking that we can use one camera for wandering around and talking to people, and one for actual playing footage (and possibly the seminar stuff, depending on how much hassle it is to move the recording rig).

For recording the jams, my proposal is this: we record everything (audio and video), and then in the following week I'll edit it down to individual songs. I'll then figure out some way to get each song to the relevant players, and they'll have three choices:

Yes - we can use it
    Clips - certain bits only (or excluding certain bits)
    Veto - abso-bloody-lutely not

If there's any veto (even if it's just one), then those who played can keep it but I'll delete all the footage forever. If not, and if anybody's said "Clips", I'll keep it on the back burner for a possible montage or Fretboard promo vid (respecting the bits that they chose to include/exclude). If it's a unanimous "Yes", I'll put it up on our YouTube channel at some point when I have free time (I'm not expecting too many of these).

The point of this is that the logistics of constantly turning the camera and audio recording stuff on/off will mean I have little time for anything else, and I'll likely make a mistake at some point during the day which results in somebody being unhappy; deferring the decision until afterwards gives all the players a chance to make an informed decision based on how they played (rather than how they think they're going to play), and it also means there's much less chance of me fucking something up and pissing someone off. As well as that, everyone can review their performance in the cold light of day rather than only remembering the heat of the moment...it could be a valuable learning tool.

This will also remove any pressure from folk - if someone's said they're cool with it being recorded but they're not 100% confident on the day, then they'll be thinking "shit...got to get this right...shit...shit..." and that will affect their performance. This way, they can simply not care because they know they've got a cast-iron veto if it goes wrong and nothing will ever be released should that happen.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Good thinking @digitalscream.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I'm a bit miffed with all this videoing malarkey, I primarily signed up with that task in mind got told no, sulked for a bit and got over it but now there is going to be videoing there and I ain't doing it.....
    edited September 2017
    I'm a bit miffed with all this videoing malarkey, I primarily signed up with that task in mind got told no, sulked for a bit and got over it but now there is going to be videoing there and I ain't doing it.....
    If you remember, I did say that I'd rather you were doing it Then you said weren't bringing the AV gear, so I had to come up with another plan...

Seriously, if you want to take charge of that on the day, I'm more than happy for you to do so!
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'm a bit miffed with all this videoing malarkey, I primarily signed up with that task in mind got told no, sulked for a bit and got over it but now there is going to be videoing there and I ain't doing it.....
    We're going to have *2* rooms for the day ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Sounds perfect to me @digitalscream ...

@strumjoughlamps ...in the closing credits you will be something like "Also starring..." and I will be gofer or something like that. 

• I want to be best grip.
    "Assistant to Mr Returns" aka Tea Boy 

I've been called worse.

Must be careful I don't clout you one with my big fat headstock tomorrow whilst you are mid flow tho ;)
    I've been called worse.

Must be careful I don't clout you one with my big fat headstock tomorrow whilst you are mid flow tho ;)
    Mid flow?! I aspire to get out of the starting blocks without fucking it up! 

I've been called worse.

Ah now we all aspire to that ;)
    I've been called worse.

I certainly do. I've only managed to get through Cupid's Dead twice without forgetting where I am, and neither of those successes were today...
    <space for hire>
    I've been called worse.

I certainly do. I've only managed to get through Cupid's Dead twice without forgetting where I am, and neither of those successes were today...
    I've been practicing the vocals again tonight...including the rap. If you've never seen a middle aged, middle class white man from Surrey attempt a rap, you should really pay attention tomorrow! It's a good job I don't have an embarrassment chip! 

Ps... You guys playing that song have got fuck all to do, so I trust you're helping me out with backing vocals?

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    digitalscream said:I certainly do. I've only managed to get through Cupid's Dead twice without forgetting where I am, and neither of those successes were today...
    I've been practicing the vocals again tonight...including the rap. If you've never seen a middle aged, middle class white man from Surrey attempt a rap, you should really pay attention tomorrow! It's a good job I don't have an embarrassment chip! 

Ps... You guys playing that song have got fuck all to do, so I trust you're helping me out with backing vocals?
    When they do it live, Nuno sings about a sixth of the verses: otherwise Gary Cherone would have no chance to breathe! Maybe you could master circular breathing before tomorrow? ;-)
    edited September 2017
    Do you honestly believe I'm going to be concentrating on anything other than getting the notes in the right order?

BWAhahaHAhAhAHAHhAhAhAHaHAHAHAhahAAaaaa :D
    <space for hire>
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Do you honestly believe I'm going to be concentrating on anything other than getting the notes in the right order?

BWAhahaHAhAhAHAHhAhAhAHaHAHAHAhahAAaaaa :D
    LOL- This is a challenging song on drums- by far the most challenging of the day.
    I'm going to be playing about 75% of the notes on the track, I certainly don't have any brain space for vocals.