Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    edited March 2023
    octatonic said:

I only have one Waves plugin (Waves Tune). By an odd coincidence I got one email saying that the 2nd license would soon expire and I need to by an update plan, and before I could even look at it the next day I got another email saying they've gone subscription only and I'd need to pay $24.99 a month! There is absolutely no way I'm going to do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Fortunately I WUPPED ($240) last week so I will have access to everything, including my second license, for a year.
    After that... not sure.

Probably won't subscribe, which is annoying because i have around £5000 sunk into their products over the years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Fortunately I WUPPED ($240) last week so I will have access to everything, including my second license, for a year.
    After that... not sure.

Probably won't subscribe, which is annoying because i have around £5000 sunk into their products over the years.

I'm really not down with subscriptions for plugins. 

I'd love all of the Roland Cloud stuff, but I don't like the idea of being on the hook forever and the buy forever option is crazy expensive.
    I wouldn't have a subscription for any software. I'm particularly annoyed as having checked I only paid $32.99 for the plugin originally, and now they want nearly the same every month!

I'm happy with the functionality it has now, so don't need any updates, but was using the 2nd license and the option to just renew that is gone.
    octatonic said:
    After that... not sure.

I'm really not down with subscriptions for plugins. 

I'd love all of the Roland Cloud stuff, but I don't like the idea of being on the hook forever and the buy forever option is crazy expensive.
    This is why, where possible, I buy hardware.

I have 2 Empirical Labs Distressors here.
    They were about $1200 a piece, so $2400.
    I have owned them for quite a while- one since 2006 when I lived in the US.

Waves plugins are now $250 a year.
    OK, so with Waves I get LOOOADS of plugins, sure.
    But after 10 years I've spend the same and what do I have to show for it?
    Nothing.

I could turn around and sell my Distressors for more than I paid for them.
    I can never sell my investment in Waves plugins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I suppose it really depends who Waves customers are. I think charging roughly 3x the price of an Office 365 subscription may well be too much for hobbyists.
    Habanero said:
    I suppose it really depends who Waves customers are. I think charging roughly 3x the price of an Office 365 subscription may well be too much for hobbyists.
    A lot of it is education and the pro market.
    But both of those have dropped off a lot as competition has increased and stock plugins in DAW's have improved.

IMHO Waves are trying to push as many people who bought a few £30 plugins into getting the subscription.
    They think professionals will just follow along because the subscription is about the same price as yearly WUP.

I think they are wrong on both counts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    I'm fine with subscriptions as an option ... I've got a few, EastWest for example. But it shouldn't be the ONLY option, that's just madness surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Habanero said:

I think the idea is that the world is split into pros who pay for stuff and will probably subscribe and amatures who mostly use cracked stuff. 

The group who are in the middle they probably don't care about.

I'm sticking with Fab Filter and Soundtoys for my plugins.
    Habanero said:

I think the idea is that the world is split into pros who pay for stuff and will probably subscribe and amatures who mostly use cracked stuff. 

That isn't what I am seeing in some pro oriented forums and private FB groups.
    Overwhelmingly the position is 'fuck waves'.
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Habanero said:

I think Waves have just done it really badly. 
    I think it's also different if you are a pro as in a lone gunman or a corporation.

If you are a hobbyist or lone photographer you probably think "fuck photoshop", but as a corporation with 500 photoshop licenses being able to add and remove people from your subscription is actually pretty nice and lets you control costs.

I would have thought Waves falls more into the lone gunman market though. 

I'm assuming it's going to be a trend in the industry as I got a survey from Plugin Boutique recently where all the questions were about "What if we switched to a subscription service" 
    octatonic said:

I think Microsoft with Office and Adobe with Photoshop can get away with a subscription model because they’re so dominant. I doubt that is true with Waves.
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    Presonus Studio One Pro full version and upgrades are 30% off until the end of March.
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 384
    edited March 2023
    I swore off Waves once I realised the Logic plugs were basically 80% there for the most part. Your listeners can’t tell.

I opted for Fabfilter, SoundToys, Goodhertz - the little guys making great or unique stuff.

Love the Vulf Comp and Maag EQ!
    I swore off Waves once I realised the Logic plugs were basically 80% there for the most part. Your listeners can’t tell.

Sure, but in 1995 there was nothing but Waves.
    I've had some of these plugins for nearly 30 years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonic said:

Sure, but in 1995 there was nothing but Waves.
    I've had some of these plugins for nearly 30 years.

Yeah I havent been in the game that long! But thats a shitty deal for long term users.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    I have a ton of Waves plugins, but most of them are v14, so I guess that's where they will stay.   I just bought a Softube Console 1 setup and have started to use their products, which seem just as good as the Waves stuff, with the plus that you have physical controls for them (and also a lot of UAD plugins).  The only issue (which is minor) is that you have to add an instance of the Console 1 plugin to every track.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:
    Waves NLS Non-Linear Summer free for 48 hours on this link:

https://www.waves.com/account/free-nls-nonlinear-summer-help-me-devvon

I guess this will stop working then
    I just removed my Waves plugin and all their management apps from the laptop I had with the 2nd license. 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Waves NLS Non-Linear Summer free for 48 hours on this link:

I guess this will stop working then
    No, it'll be fine. They've stated anything you own you own, you just won't be able to upgrade any more ... or buy any new stuff from them (self defeating)

TBH, I've never upgraded any waves plugins anyway. I've stopped using 90% of them as I find alternatives that suit me better. Never really believed their plugins gained anything from updating to the newer version anyway.
    tFB Trader
    When I got back into DAWs people warned me to stay away from Waves.

I'm glad I listened.
    @Bezzer good to know ta. I haven't actually used it but it looks like fun
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    When I got back into DAWs people warned me to stay away from Waves.

I'm glad I listened.
    I like dunking the RVerb in tea.  
    tFB Trader
    Habanero said:

A similar thing happened with Bitwig a few months ago. 

They had the opposite in that if you pay the subscription you got everything they made, but they suddenly released something you were expected to pay extra for and people were very unhappy about it.

Eventually they went back on it and included it as a free update, but a couple of prominent YouTubers (Venus Theory and Ben Jordan) cut ties with them over it and I think a few people cancelled their subscriptions.
    edited March 2023
    Habanero said:

They had the opposite in that if you pay the subscription you got everything they made, but they suddenly released something you were expected to pay extra for and people were very unhappy about it.

Eventually they went back on it and included it as a free update, but a couple of prominent YouTubers (Venus Theory and Ben Jordan) cut ties with them over it and I think a few people cancelled their subscriptions.
    The revolution is now

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/waves-announce-reinstatement-of-perpetual-and-wup

That waves goodbye to that experiment
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:
    Habanero said:

The revolution is now

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/waves-announce-reinstatement-of-perpetual-and-wup

Ha! It was clearly me uninstalling my one plugin 2nd license that sent them into panic mode! =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:
    Habanero said:

The revolution is now

Yes, I am pleased they rolled this one back.
    tFB Trader
    Well that was a big foot cannon.

Glad they've seen sense quickly.
    Those people rioting over in Paris could possibly learn something from the Waves plugin community. =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter