Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Rugby Union Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    ^^ I joined a queue 10 mins before the second half of the Scotland game resumed to get 4 beers. I got to my seat 20 minutes into the game.  The staff were clueless, the bars were badly set up and the amount of beer wasted was eye-popping.  

A French guy told me the beer ran out after 10 minutes at the Fra v NZ game.
    It is not as though they knew the event was coming is it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @Gassage ;

So tell me your views on the TMO reviews ref 'foul play', yellow and red cards - Most, this weekend, appear OTT and petty to me - See Curry now has to go before a disciplinary committee tomorrow - It was barely an offence, certainly not malicious/deliberate, yet it appears now to be a 'prison sentence'

I can see the difference between you running at me from 5-10 yards away and I have time to prepare for any tackle/impact, be it an attempt at a good tackle, or a predetermined 'malicious' play - But Curry and Malia were barely feet apart and no chance of anything other than a split second natural response

Certainly best tackle of the weekend was AB #10 against the French winger right on the try/touch line - Perfect timing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    @Gassage ;

So tell me your views on the TMO reviews ref 'foul play', yellow and red cards - Most, this weekend, appear OTT and petty to me - See Curry now has to go before a disciplinary committee tomorrow - It was barely an offence, certainly not malicious/deliberate, yet it appears now to be a 'prison sentence'

I can see the difference between you running at me from 5-10 yards away and I have time to prepare for any tackle/impact, be it an attempt at a good tackle, or a predetermined 'malicious' play - But Curry and Malia were barely feet apart and no chance of anything other than a split second natural response

Certainly best tackle of the weekend was AB #10 against the French winger right on the try/touch line - Perfect timing 

Can't comment as you've seen more games than I have.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    Offset said:
    ^^ I joined a queue 10 mins before the second half of the Scotland game resumed to get 4 beers. I got to my seat 20 minutes into the game.  The staff were clueless, the bars were badly set up and the amount of beer wasted was eye-popping.  

They don't normally serve beer in that stadium (or any football stadium) - it's not like any of the home nations stadiums which have developed mass beer delivery over the years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

They don't normally serve beer in that stadium (or any football stadium) - it's not like any of the home nations stadiums which have developed mass beer delivery over the years. 
    No excuse whatsoever.  They should have done their homework and prepared accordingly. If they'd sent some observers to Japan in 2019, they'd have learned how to host a RWC absolutely flawlessly. Frankly the whole experience thus far has been shambolic, although that hasn't stopped us from enjoying ourselves despite, rather than because of, the organisation.  
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

No excuse whatsoever.  They should have done their homework and prepared accordingly. If they'd sent some observers to Japan in 2019, they'd have learned how to host a RWC absolutely flawlessly. Frankly the whole experience thus far has been shambolic, although that hasn't stopped us from enjoying ourselves despite, rather than because of, the organisation.  
    Makes you think twice about next years Olympics doesn't it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tbmtbm Frets: 541
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

You may thank Scotland and Wales Unions for the RWC being in France and not Ireland this year. Yes the Unions may have been financially worse off, but the venue beer delivery setup would have been top drawer.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Offset said:
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

It is news to me that you can get beer in France.  I thought they only ever drank wine..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Offset said:
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

Referring to Beer and nothing else, similar thing happened in RWC 2015 with games at Brighton Amex stadium. 
    edited September 2023
    tbm said:
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

You may thank Scotland and Wales Unions for the RWC being in France and not Ireland this year. Yes the Unions may have been financially worse off, but the venue beer delivery setup would have been top drawer.
    You say that but in 2019 - RWC warm up International v Wales, the Aviva ran out of Guiness at half time.  To be fair, it did me a favour :) 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    edited September 2023
    Rocker said:
    Offset said:
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

It is news to me that you can get beer in France.  I thought they only ever drank wine..

As well as a long-term trend of consumers switching to beer and other drinks, the industry was badly hit by the Covid pandemic that shut restaurants and bars worldwide, leading to a sharp fall in sales.

Describing fizzy lager as beer is being a bit loose with the truth though.

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    They hosted their last World Cup only 16 years ago, surely they kept notes 
    crunchman said:
    Rocker said:
    Offset said:
    exocet said:
    Offset said:

As well as a long-term trend of consumers switching to beer and other drinks, the industry was badly hit by the Covid pandemic that shut restaurants and bars worldwide, leading to a sharp fall in sales.

Describing fizzy lager as beer is being a bit loose with the truth though.

The growth is in beer from smaller providers - there's something like 2000 independent / micro brewers in France now. Plenty of good stuff to be had.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Gassage said:

And the story of the weekend-

In Paris, the queues for media were INSANE- 40 degrees, one person had a heart attack took 3 hours for MEDIA to get in.

I was slated to do a piece with Sergio Parisse, AKA the King of Paris, to camera for Canal+ and he'd not left home. We are melting at gate U arguing with officials to fast track us....no Parisse to be seen.

"Mate, where the fuck are you?" No reply.

"Mate get your arse here otherwise you're not getting in- it's fucking chaos...."

Nothing.

Phone rings: "Ciao James, it's Sergio. Don't worry. I am coming up the River Seine in my yacht and I will park in a private harbour under the Stadium- it's no problem...."

"Ahhh, of course you are. How silly of me....I should have realised...."

FFS

Footnote-  I was taking the piss out of him over this and he replied

"Well it wasn't so good, the AC broke on the boat...."

Phew. That makes it so much better....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255

Josh Adams on  a speeding Fijian steamroller was impressive IMO.

edited September 2023
    The worst Welsh performance that I've ever seen. Zero effort, precious little skill or intent.

Hats off to Portugal, played very well indeed.
  • The hate for Wales out there is crazy, it used to be everyone hated England. We have won two games on trot with bonus points with two completely changed teams. Whilst playing badly. 
    Yet everyone says, awful reffing, lucky try or whatever. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Love it, a Welshman complaining about getting treated how the Welsh treat Engkand - priceless ;)

you were crap (although not relatively) though, and arrogant - he he ;)  Very English I thought

portugal played very well I thought, as have all the lower teams this World Cup (do you see I’m getting my English excuses in early :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    The hate for Wales out there is crazy, it used to be everyone hated England. We have won two games on trot with bonus points with two completely changed teams. Whilst playing badly. 
     No hate from me, I'm Welsh, but today's game made it look like we have a team rather than a squad, which is worrying. 

But yes, we were shite and we won, for which we've always envied England. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    The hate for Wales out there is crazy, it used to be everyone hated England. We have won two games on trot with bonus points with two completely changed teams. Whilst playing badly. 
    So it was OK whilst everybody hated Eng but now it’s not??

You’re right that despite not playing well, Wales are managing to get the results. That’ll build confidence and maybe get some momentum going. 

I’m hoping Eng can do the same. Despite a good win last week we’ve still got plenty of room for improvement. I think Wales and Eng are both in a similar stage… hoping that “rock bottom” is behind us and that the trajectory will now be upwards. Personally  I hope this is the case for both teams. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I'm half English and half Welsh and so is Mrs O, but we've never lived in Wales and we're rabidly staunch England supporters.  That said, Wales are usually our second team so I want both to do well :-)
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Dreadful commentary for this world cup. Need a mute commentary only option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    Come on Fiji!!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Strange to see a team in white shirts passing the ball around.

I hope they can hold on to the lead, if only to hear what Eddie Jones will say. 
  • Only us Welsh supporting Australia. C’mon Ozzies!
    Fiji win makes things difficult for us. 

• You know what? I'm adopting Fiji as my second team. They're playing exciting, fun, clean rugby in a way none of the other teams have so far. They actually look like they're enjoying themselves too.

Inaccuracies aside, it's like watching the most entertaining sides from the 2000s.

Brilliant stuff.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Excellent stuff! 
  • Wow. Eddie must be a little bit... concerned.
    <space for hire>
  • Eddie really has an ecellent world cup record......first loss Fiji for like 69 years.