Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Rugby Union Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Polite was rubbish, always is. Twice he got in way at Welsh scrums, time and again warned Stander, yet only penalised him on his own try line. Should have been Yellow. 
    Whats the point in giving a yellow with one minute left. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    better from Eng this half, but I think the player having the most impact on the game is the weather. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Why have refs given up on enforcing the laws of the bloody game? Time and again May is two three yards in front of 9-10-12 whoever is kicking. We have touch judges or "assistant refs" yet ignored. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    How about the guy who tackled May on the kick off was ahead of the kicker?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    But all teams are the same at the moment, it’s not being referred
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    If the wind is so bad that kicks downfield are  more likely thsn usual to go out on the full, might it not be a good idea to try something else? Although Scotland's lineout is bsdly broken. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    As a 53 year old Partick Thistle and Scotland supporter, I've decided I've had enough of the torture. Sport means nothing to me from this day on.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    So, Ciara won England came second just ahead of Scotland. 
    I'm just glad it was free to view on TV cos if I'd paid to see that match I'd have been well peeved. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Eddie Jones though... what an arse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited February 2020
    ewal said:
    I'm sure that he would be flattered that you find it so attractive. I would assume, sadly, that he is too busy enjoying the deserved win.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    edited February 2020
    ewal said:
    His arse just curled off a mr whippy turd on Hoggie's head, n someone placed a 99 flake in it. Thanks for the Calcutta.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It was a deserved win. Well done England team. Eddie Jones is still an arse. Imagine if you had to work with him...
  • ewal said:
    It was a deserved win. Well done England team. Eddie Jones is still an arse. Imagine if you had to work with him...
    What’s Eddie done this time?
  • Rumour has it, Rob Howley joining wasps as head coach, what's the odds on that ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rumour has it, Rob Howley joining wasps as head coach, what's the odds on that ?
    This all stems from one report in the Coventry Evening Telegraph and some speculation. The list of possible replacements includes a few who worry me.

A return for Joe Worsley would be welcomed by many Wasps fans. 
    I could never figure out what was going on at wasps, the let players like Cips, Simpson, Haskell etc go (players who if you cut them, would bleed red and black stripes), then bring in some big names from NZ like Sopa, Shields who completely fail to deliver.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    VimFuego said:
    I could never figure out what was going on at wasps, the let players like Cips, Simpson, Haskell etc go (players who if you cut them, would bleed red and black stripes), then bring in some big names from NZ like Sopa, Shields who completely fail to deliver.

Cips would probably bleed 40% proof, not red and black stripes.  Haskell is 35 in a few weeks.  I can understand letting them go.
    crunchman said:
    VimFuego said:

Cips would probably bleed 40% proof, not red and black stripes.  Haskell is 35 in a few weeks.  I can understand letting them go.
    my point being that neither of the big names have lived up to their price tag. 

Our recruitment policy in recent years has been very poor.

In 2017, we were minutes away from beating Exeter in the Prem final. We had Le Roux, Beale, Wade, Daly, Gopperth, Cips and Simpson. Defensively we weren't so great but we could tear teams to bits with our attack.

When these backs moved on we didn't replace them, and we no longer had the backs to score enough points to win games. Since that final we've conceded, on average, a bonus point's worth of points per game. That's relegation form.

Sops and Shields haven't been value for money. Guy Thompson was a big loss. The Symonds-Matthews swap with Quins wasn't beneficial to us. We've had bad luck with injuries but that's no longer an excuse, all clubs can say that.

If we don't have Jimmy Gopperth playing we seem to be sterile. And he's heading towards his 37th birthday.

If Sarries had't been caught, we'd be eye-deep in the relegation poo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    just seen the team he's picked for this weekend. He's gone back to the team that performed so well against France, but with the added bonus of playing JJ on the wing.
    I really hope he proves me wrong, but I can't see this team winning. EJ's arrogance and intransigence may well cost him his job. 

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 833
    VimFuego said:
    just seen the team he's picked for this weekend. He's gone back to the team that performed so well against France, but with the added bonus of playing JJ on the wing.
    I really hope he proves me wrong, but I can't see this team winning. EJ's arrogance and intransigence may well cost him his job. 

100% agree.  No real number 8, no real full back, JJ on the wing... 45% of the backs in the squad are centres, because Tuilagi and Slade are both injury risks.

Sunday is going to be an absolute shit-show.   
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    He's starting to remind me of Sven Goran Eriksson.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    edited February 2020
    What do you expect from someone who is "Half Asian"?? That's not a racial slur, rather a reference to the bizarre press conference  yesterday - I think he's lost the plot.
    Gulliver said:

100% agree.  No real number 8, no real full back, JJ on the wing... 45% of the backs in the squad are centres, because Tuilagi and Slade are both injury risks.

When you put it like that, I'm reminded of this:

• tbmtbm Frets: 541
    Tuilagi has never lost against Ireland, and home advantage counts for loads in the 6Ns.

We struggled with Scotlands aggressive defense, and England will do the same. It should be a barnburner if the weather cops-the-f*ck-on, but either way England by 4. I am still unconvinced by POMs form, and we lose a load of creativity with Ringrose injured. Expect us to bomb the hell out of Joseph early doors though, and for Doris to come on at 50 minutes, provided we're still in the game, make things interesting. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    Bloody hell. How did this happen? What are turnaround from last week.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    scrumhalf said:

Sarries saving everyone  for Leinster.

• tbmtbm Frets: 541
    scrumhalf said:

Eek....

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    scrumhalf said:

We were missing a load of players as well.