Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    scrumhalf said:
    What in the name of WG Grace's balls is going on?

I can't help but feel the ICC by attempting to bring test cricket to a greater number of people will end up alienating it's existing audience. 
    FFS, can't they just keep the commercial crap in the T20s? What next cheerleaders, fireworks and that poxy trumpet fanfare noise every 10 minutes? This is a traditional sport that has Laws, don't mess with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    I don't mind the name and numbers on shirts. Just as long as they never return to those horrible Adidas white sweaters of a few years ago. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 471
    The name and number thing isn't for me. I like the traditional look for test cricket. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

I don't mind that - its not an issue when watching on tv as the commentators let you know who is who (if you don't know) but when your'e in the ground watching live its not easy to tell who is fielding where. Its a minor change and suprised its ruffling a few feathers.

I actually think all of the potential changes put forward will benefit test cricket (except free hit) The standardised ball is a must for me though interesting to see how the ball manufacturers move forward. 

You do wonder though, if by trying to speed up test cricket, it would lead to even more abysmal test batting.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    scrumhalf said:

I don't mind that - its not an issue when watching on tv as the commentators let you know who is who (if you don't know) but when your'e in the ground watching live its not easy to tell who is fielding where. Its a minor change and suprised its ruffling a few feathers.

I actually think all of the potential changes put forward will benefit test cricket (except free hit) The standardised ball is a must for me though interesting to see how the ball manufacturers move forward. 

You do wonder though, if by trying to speed up test cricket, it would lead to even more abysmal test batting.

Really it isn't a standardised ball but a standardised manufacturer as there are plenty of reports of the red and pink ball behaving differently. 

It is also curious to see how the focus is on the ball yet the standards for Test wickets are arguably lower than the standards for the County Championship. 

FFS, can't they just keep the commercial crap in the T20s? What next cheerleaders, fireworks and that poxy trumpet fanfare noise every 10 minutes? This is a traditional sport that has Laws, don't mess with it.

On Brexit day, Big Ben's chimes are going to be replaced by that trumpet in celebration of taking back control. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited March 2019

On Brexit day, Big Ben's chimes are going to be replaced by that trumpet in celebration of taking back control. 

Brexit Day? I reckon Brexit has drifted out of the Houses Of Parliament into the Thames and been washed out into the Channel and washed up on a Normandy beach dead...

FFS, they are messing with my cricket and 3 years after voting to leave the EU we're further away than ever, I'm having a terrible day.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Cricket is made unquestionably better by having crap music blasted out for ten seconds at every opportunity rather than allowing people to talk to each other during a match.

And who can deny that an equisite stroke to the boundary is not improved by having half a dozen vacuous airheads prancing around whilst flames shoot out of buckets placed where the boundary should be.

tFB Trader
    I was very busy today and quickly scrolled past a story on facebook that read something along the lines of Cameron Bancroft appointed Durham Captain for the upcoming season....I scrolled past it so quick I didn't take it in.

Then when I wasn't busy I actually read it properly.
    Very bold decision from Durham CCC.

tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

Really it isn't a standardised ball but a standardised manufacturer as there are plenty of reports of the red and pink ball behaving differently. 

It is also curious to see how the focus is on the ball yet the standards for Test wickets are arguably lower than the standards for the County Championship. 
    Yes the wickets are poor, but the standard is very poor as well. I am only 32 but I remember about 15-20 years ago there was a whole array of quality international players in the county game. But the players would do long stints with counties (Akram at Lancs, Warne at Hants, Lehman at Yorks etc...). These days you only get players available for a handful of games, yet alone a full season. 

It is clearly due do how the 20/20 game has evolved and the best players are playing in 20/20 leagues all over the world for good money. It is detrimental to the quality of the English game.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very disappointed to see Warner get runs today in the IPL.  
    tFB Trader
    Very disappointed to see Warner get runs today in the IPL.  
    yes shame that. Looking forward to the response he gets from the Edgbaston crowd this summer....

edited April 2019
    Hey up! I'm going to The Ashes! I've never been but have bought a couple of tickets to the first day of the 4th Test at Old Trafford. For annoying work reasons that's the only test I can get time off for, so I'm praying for a dry day on 4th September in Manchester.

I got seats at the front next to the rail so hoping to get chance to sledge some Aussie fielders as they dive to miss saving some England Fours as I wave my 4 sign at them!

I just need to find someone to go with me now as my wife has made it quite clear she's not interested...ungrateful pig.

Anyone else heading to the summer Ashes?

Anyone else heading to the summer Ashes?
    Oh yes :)

https://i.imgur.com/Wj60edX.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    On county matters.... still loving the live streams. Somerset's game against Kent was splendid last week and today Surrey versus Essex has been good value. It's been over a year and a half since I had access to Sky's coverage and I'm not missing it one bit. 

Sad truth: 

Right now I have one laptop open for Surrey-Essex, the desktop open for coverage of Amen Corner from Augusta, the Chromebook open to type here, and I've got a Digitech GSP1101 on for noodling. 

Added the cricket channel to my Sky subscription for the summer and watched bits of each match so far except the rained off ODI at the Oval. Mickey mouse cricket until the Ashes starts on 1st August though, however, the ODI World Cup holds some interest. England are favourites at 12/5 on Betfair followed by India & Aus. 

tFB Trader
    That’s my only way to watch the cricket. £11 or whatever it is for the monthly subscription. Small price to pay if you’re an avid cricket lover. Yesterday’s game was entertaining, waiting for the ashes though. 

edited May 2019
    World Cup starts tomorrow, 48 ODI matches played everyday between tomorrow and 14th July! England are still favourites at 11/5 on Betfair but I'm not convinced. I reckon the Aussies could be in with a shout if they can get good run totals, a lot of this could come down to the skills of the death bowlers in those last overs, getting dot balls and choking the runs.

I'm going to try and watch/listen to as much as I can in-between work/life etc. Bring it on!

https://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/fixtures

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    I haven;t actually checked, but is any of this available on free to view TV?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    Only on Sky Sports, or Now TV with a Sky Sports pass.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    VimFuego said:
    yeah, that's what I kinda thought. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    For all of our biff-bam batting I'm nervous of the fact that our bowlers seem to be getting tonked as well, albeit to a lesser extent.

If the batsmen fail then I'm not sure that recent evidence shhows we can keep it tight enough to defend a lower total.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    I'll watch some of it but I can't get too excited about it.  Roll on the Ashes.

How do we talk Cook into coming back.  Best opener in the country by a mile.  90 today after a first innings century.
  • Looking forward to it. England will have one bad batting performance , we just need to hope they have it at the right time. 

I still fancy them to win. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    yeah, that's what I kinda thought. 
    Highlights on Channel 4.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Looking forward to this. England should do well, but having SA first up could be tricky. If they win it should settle them down, but if they lose the first match, it could be an uncomfortable WC...

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    That was quite the complete performance. Archer looks like the missing piece of the puzzle -- him and Wood in the same team are going to give some batters sleepless nights.