Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Luton Airport car park fire... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Luton Airport car park fire...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    elstoof said:
    TfL have banned people from taking electric cars on their services? This is huge
    It’s true, Last time I tried to drive my car down to the platform they had put barriers in place!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    They have banned electric scooters, but that because they’re an unregulated industry due to being technically illegal to use in public. They haven’t banned mobility scooters or electric bicycles, just the things you can cobble together yourself from alibaba parts which have caught fire due to defective, unregulated battery units
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited October 2023
    Looks like a newer model Landrover Disco or them awful Evoque things in the pics I've seen, they do a diesel and a hybrid so who knows. They do have a lot of electrical gremlins in those newer Landrovers. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    They've only got £100 excess on their insurance though, so not all bad news.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited October 2023
    Boromedic said:
    Looks like a newer model Landrover Disco or them awful Evoque things in the pics I've seen, they do a diesel and a hybrid so who knows. They do have a lot of electrical gremlins in those newer Landrovers. 
    I’ve had 8 new Discovery’s in the last 10 years and had no electrical issues.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    What is a Bev? I know a Bev but she's unlikely to set herself on fire.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Battery Electric Vehicle 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    I've heard (from a mate who got it from a reliable source) that Greta herself was seen with a blowtorch near the scene.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I was thinking this morning...

"I bet someone will start a thread on TFB blaming an EV for the fire"

Thanks for not disappointing me oldiewonks.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    mrkb said:
    Boromedic said:
    Well they don't seem to survive very long, top marks for loyalty and perseverance.
    :)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    edited October 2023
    Sporky said:
    Adey said:
    there is clearly a significant risk with these batteries
    If that's the case you'll be able to quantify it.

If you can't, it's speculation. 
    Haha!

Probably worth waiting for the fire brigade report then and avoid the speculation...

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I'm not disputing that an EV battery fire is rather serious, but a certain bit of the media is very keen to jump on any opportunity to bash EVs.

One might reasonably wonder how much of their funding is via the oil companies.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    euan said:
    Battery Electric Vehicle 
    Literally never heard that anywhere but here. Surely the Battery is redundant? Not like it can be plugged in while it's being driven.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    S56035 said:
    euan said:
    Battery Electric Vehicle 
    Literally never heard that anywhere but here. Surely the Battery is redundant? Not like it can be plugged in while it's being driven.
    Exactly. Is there any other type of EV apart from those with batteries?
  • Offset said:
    S56035 said:
    euan said:
    Battery Electric Vehicle 

Ones with bloody long extension cords? I've never seen nor heard of one, and I got an EV motorbike back in the late 80's and early 90's, so it's not that I haven't been exposed to or have any experience with the technology, yet in all those years, I've yet to see either a car or motorcycle dragging along a a good few miles worth of extension cable behind it.
  • This is the first time I can remember a ‘car park fire’. I’m sure cars have caught fire in multi-stories before but it hasn’t resulted in the whole place burning up!

Even if it wasn’t an EV that started it, when an EV does go up they take everything with it. I’ll definitely be thinking about whether I need to park in a multi-storey car park in future 
    There was a huge one in Liverpool about 5 years ago. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited October 2023
    mrkb said:
    Boromedic said:
    You must be lucky then, my wife has a Fiat 500 and I do a lot of motorway miles, quite often when I see a stranded car it's either a 500 or a newer Landrover more than other cars. We've been lucky with our Fiat too. We deal with recovery at work too and the RAC and they deal with a lot of JLR vehicles.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/land-rover-discovery-is-most-unreliable-used-car-top-10-worst-offenders-named-and-shamed/272103

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Offset said:
    S56035 said:
    euan said:
    Battery Electric Vehicle 
    To be fair H2 cars are technically EVs as well - the fuel cell uses H2 to make electricity. But there ain't many of them around yet! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    edited October 2023
    Offset said:
    S56035 said:
    euan said:
    Battery Electric Vehicle 
    HCEV - hydrogen fuel cell EV, such as the Toyota Mira

There is also a class of EVs where an ICE acts solely as a generator for an electric motor. As well as PHEVs and HEVs which also have a ICE and different charging methods for the battery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I had an Austin Maestro when I was in my twenties which caught fire while I was driving it. It was caused by something so simple. There was a connector that plugged onto a switch in the gearbox and when you put it in reverse it sent 12V to the reversing lights. Over time the this small loom had been vibrating against the gearbox until eventually it had worn away it's insulation and partially shorted on the gearbox housing. This caused the wire insulation to catch fire and that caught the whole engine bay alight. 
    Unfortunately I had pulled over at the last place I could before the M27 started and that place was a garage so here I am in a garage with the bonnet up and the engine bay on fire. I had to sacrifice my coat to put it out. 

Normal cars are prone to fires because the the whole car is earthed and the battery is capable of enormous currents ... Then once they are alight in the engine bay you have very little time to put it out before it's game over. Everything is so hot is just burns instantly. 

A 28V battery and half the currents would be a better idea 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Traditional trams are Electric Vehicles, but don't have batteries for the traction motor (I think). They use a pantograph. Just like a dodgem car at the fair.

The term BEV seems to have come into use with the advent of modern electric cars. In that sense it is used to distinguish between those that are solely run from a battery onboard and need to be plugged in to recharge.
    An HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) will use a battery and motor as well as an ICE to power the car, and the battery is recharged usually by regeneration, possibly by solar.
    PHEV (plug-in) are similar but you can plug them in to recharge the battery.

There are some cars which run purely on battery/motor, but have an onboard ICE to generate electricity for recharging the battery. All of the motive power is provided from the battery/motor though, unlike an HEV which uses some clever engineering to blend the two power sources seamlessly to the wheels.

I'd never heard of H2EV, but that's mentioned further up and is a Hyrdogen fuel-cell rather than a conventional battery.

I think that's about right.
  • Geoff has some internet sleuthing going on. There seems to be something amiss with JLRs in general, ICE or EV
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-zKTqe19ss