Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Luton Airport car park fire... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Luton Airport car park fire...

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Diesel doesn’t actually burn that well though. It has to be compressed massively to ignite. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    There have definitely been other car park fires in recent years. Google throws up Liverpool 2017, Stavanger in Norway 2020, Sweden in 2021. I don’t know if any if those were EV related, either being started or subsequently fueled by EVs
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Modern cars have more combustible material. Have a read of the Merseyside report of you’ve got a spare 15 minutes. 

TLDR: modern cars have plastic fuel tanks which when damaged by heat leak and cause fire runaway, drainage systems help spread the fire to other cars, lack of sprinklers to stop this spread. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Brio said:
    Mate messaged me to say he'd heard it was a diesel LandRover Disco that was being driven, caught fire and the driver stopped it and jumped out. So not electric or even petrol. To Be Confirmed though.
    Interesting. I saw a photo posted on the ITV Facebook page as a comment to the story, and it looked like a Land Rover Discovery to me too. The commenter seemed to be making a judgement about the car which I assumed to be "oh an EV was the cause" but maybe they just don't like Land Rovers.

So, are we now placing bets on whether there were EVs nearby that caused the fire to really take off?
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    boogieman said:
    Diesel doesn’t actually burn that well though. It has to be compressed massively to ignite. 
    Doesn’t have to be a fuel fire, brake fluid leaking on a hot exhaust will burn quite well
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    I've drawn up a list of likely suspects:

"they"
    reptilian overlords
    U2
    Baron SIlas Greenback
    Coriander
    The Rothschilds
    Gary Lineker
    Line 6

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    How many right wing papers will demand that diesel vehicles are banned and how many if it were an ev? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    BBC Breakfast News were saying it was EV related (but not confirmed!) at 6.45 this morning. It looks like they've been told to pipe down until it's official. Obviously petrol burns/explodes too. As has been stated, DERV only explodes under compression.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    elstoof said:

Doesn’t have to be a fuel fire, brake fluid leaking on a hot exhaust will burn quite well
    Exactly.  It used to be quite common in frontal car crashes for the brake fluid reservoir to burst and the fluid to hit the manifold and ignite fiercely.  In older cars the reservoir was right there in the engine compartment on a flimsy bracket.  They later moved it in behind a sill to protect it, but as engine bays became more cramped and bodywork became weaker to provide crumple zones it wouldn't really have been protected anywhere, so it is now usually just squeezed into a space as far away from the manifold as is possible.

Uncompressed diesel fuel can be ignited, but it does take a fairly sustained flame to raise its temerature above the flash point, and it burns much more slowly than petrol.  A fiercely burning car close to a diesel car definitely can ignite the fuel in its tank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    Reverend said:

"they"
    reptilian overlords
    U2
    Baron SIlas Greenback
    Coriander
    The Rothschilds
    Gary Lineker
    Line 6

You forgot Chappers.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Reverend said:

"they"
    reptilian overlords
    U2
    Baron SIlas Greenback
    Coriander
    The Rothschilds
    Gary Lineker
    Line 6

You forgot Chappers.

don't be silly.

Andertons have very clear rules on demarcation. 
    Chappers - earth
    Dannish Pete - wind
    Rabea - Fire
    The captain - water
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    Reverend said:
    This article seems fairly balanced and not Pro- or Con- EV.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a38225037/how-much-you-should-worry-about-ev-fires/

25/1000 EVs caused fires
    vs
    1500/1000 for petrol cars

The two main triggers for EV fires are:
    1. damaged battery after a crash
    2. fault during charging

A crash in a car park seems unlikely. And I don't believe this fire started where there are EV charge points so that's also unlikely.

Let's wait for the facts to come out.
    absolutely not. 

Jeeves, bring me my pitchfork
    'One moment, sir - just bringing your favourite mob to the boil for you'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    BillDL said:
    Billy Joel has denied responsibility on behalf of more than just himself, as have Robby Krieger and Jim Morrison's surviving relatives, but perhaps it is a copycat crime:

If there has been any suspicion of sex, The Kings of Leon must surely be prime suspects.
    If the fire was circular, there may have been some Cash involved.
    You're, um, on fire today Bill...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:
    I live in Luton, traffic chaos this morning! 
    I've only been to Luton twice and both times this was the case, so seems par for the course to be fair :)
    Luton is Sh*te to drive around, especially the town centre which is a disaster these days. You know you've gone wrong when you put a roundabout in then stick traffic lights all around it.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    (1) The Secret Firefighter UK (@TheSecretFF999) / X (twitter.com)

Some footage here

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• This is the first time I can remember a ‘car park fire’. I’m sure cars have caught fire in multi-stories before but it hasn’t resulted in the whole place burning up!

Even if it wasn’t an EV that started it, when an EV does go up they take everything with it. I’ll definitely be thinking about whether I need to park in a multi-storey car park in future 

There was a similar event in Liverpool in 2018 where over 1000 vehicles were destroyed:

The whole place had to be demolished as the heat (up to 1000C) damaged the reinforced concrete.

• Reverend said:

"they"
    reptilian overlords
    U2
    Baron SIlas Greenback
    Coriander
    The Rothschilds
    Gary Lineker
    Line 6

Thanks for this. I am so fed up with hearing about "them" and "they".

Who
     (FFS !!) ???!!!!

I concluded that using "them" and "they" reduces the chance of a counter response. Effective to randomise generalised "they're out to get us" policy...

I like a good conspiracy, however do have this argument with Mrs001 on a regular basis. Naturally, she usually wins the argument.
    Gassage said:

Some footage here
    Glad to have it confirmed that it was a parked and charging BEV
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    euan said:
    Gassage said:

Some footage here
    Glad to have it confirmed that it was a parked and charging BEV

How do you know it's EV?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

I think it’s sarcasm
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Didn't the BBC report say it was a diesel car that first ignited 

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1066
    edited October 2023

From that Secret Firefighter Twittter page:

Update from
    @ BedsFire
    CFO Andy Hopkinson: Early signs show no sign of anything suspicious, cause is believed to be accidental, and believed to be a diesel vehicle.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    I'm certainly not expert on EVs, but there are a lot about these days and many hybrid ones too, so I would imagine a substantial proportion in the car park. You could easily expect to find half a dozen or so all in adjacent parking spaces.

If a fire had spread from an ICE vehicle to a few adjacent EVs, is that likely to lead to a runaway fire developing?
  • Adey said:
    I'm certainly not expert on EVs, but there are a lot about these days and many hybrid ones too, so I would imagine a substantial proportion in the car park. You could easily expect to find half a dozen or so all in adjacent parking spaces.

If a fire had spread from an ICE vehicle to a few adjacent EVs, is that likely to lead to a runaway fire developing?
    A fireman on Sky earlier said that plenty of EVs were involved, but that report has disappeared now as far as I can see.
    euan said:
    Modern cars have more combustible material. Have a read of the Merseyside report of you’ve got a spare 15 minutes. 

TLDR: modern cars have plastic fuel tanks which when damaged by heat leak and cause fire runaway, drainage systems help spread the fire to other cars, lack of sprinklers to stop this spread. 
    Honestly just read some of this report. The result would have been the same without the presence of and PHEV/BEV vehicles. 
  • This is the first time I can remember a ‘car park fire’. I’m sure cars have caught fire in multi-stories before but it hasn’t resulted in the whole place burning up!

Even if it wasn’t an EV that started it, when an EV does go up they take everything with it. I’ll definitely be thinking about whether I need to park in a multi-storey car park in future 

There was a similar event in Liverpool in 2018 where over 1000 vehicles were destroyed:

The whole place had to be demolished as the heat (up to 1000C) damaged the reinforced concrete.

Was the cause of this fire ever known?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    siremoon said:
    The evangelists will trot out the usual line 
    Poisoning the well again. Either your argument is compelling without the logical fallacy or it isn't

The real cause of the fire was anti-EV gammons spontaneously combusting with near-orgasmic excitement at the prospect of shouting yet more hysterical bullshit. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    I don't think it is necessarily that but I don't see the relavence with cooked ham products.

TfL and train operators have banned them being taken onto their services (yes, I know that they don't let you take petrol on the train either), but there is clearly a significant risk with these batteries, especially as they are very hard to put out.
    TfL have banned people from taking electric cars on their services? This is huge
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Adey said:
    there is clearly a significant risk with these batteries
    If that's the case you'll be able to quantify it.

If you can't, it's speculation. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."