Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Reckoning - Jimmy Saville drama on BBC - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Reckoning - Jimmy Saville drama on BBC

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Started this last night and its uncomfortable viewing but Coogan is fantastic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    rze99 said:
    Nothing surprises Angus........
    And yet Angus is the one who got cancelled?!?!?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There was that time he was on 'have I got news for you' - Host Angus Deayton asks him: “You used to be a wrestler didn’t you?” to which Savile responds: “I still am,” adding, “I’m feared in every girls’ school in the country.”
    This quote is in the dramatised documentary, but without context, to which ‘Savile’ says, “I said that as a fucking joke.” 

’The reckoning’ doesn’t achieve its lofty aims, doesn’t explain anything fully, glosses over so much detail, and I’m absolutely no clearer on the need for its existence. A documentary would have be been far more rewarding and the actual terror of the programme came from footage of Savile himself. 

Yes, Coogan did fine, of course. But that’s not the point. For such ‘detailed research’ and ‘public accounts’, this is a missed opportunity. Expected better from the script. Episode four probably the strongest, bringing some strands together at least - yet Savile is weirdly cast in a sympathetic light as an aging loner becoming increasingly more irrelevant as his past circles around him. Even the investigative reporter found empathy for him despite the knowledge of his actions?  

No resolution, irrespective of how sickening the crime. 

Which is as it was I suppose. 

Well done to the victims for coming forward, and appearing on camera with their statements. That alone was powerful enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    There was that time he was on 'have I got news for you' - Host Angus Deayton asks him: “You used to be a wrestler didn’t you?” to which Savile responds: “I still am,” adding, “I’m feared in every girls’ school in the country.”
    "In plain sight" indeed...
    I can't find an actual clip of the show, but I'm sure Ian Hislop said something after along the lines that 'you don't even deny it do you' in his usual manner 
    This one 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtUuOIXLawg
    I've seen that - It is an extended version I was trying to find, that I somehow recall has a flippant comment from Ian Hislop about what he said, or who he was
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    edited October 2023
    duplicate post deleted
  • It was a hoax - There was a comedy website called Some of the Corpses are Amusing and they threaded extreme stuff into the authentic transcript (as I remember it) as ... a joke, I think. As far as I remember, they had it on their website, but it wasn't linked from anywhere, and they were naive enough to think that that meant no one would find it, but someone did and it went viral. 
  • Just watched the Savile doc on Netflix which was a  shocking exposé - very powerful. Could hear bits the Beeb lifted for their docudrama. Recommend that for sure. 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    JEM said: Watching Sid James and Bernard Bresslaw leching over Barbara Windsor dressed up as a schoolgirl is horrifying with hindsight. 
    That's overstating it a bit, isn't it? Syd and Bernie leching over Barbara Windsor dressed up as a schoolgirl?  Definitely  inappropriate for 2023, but I wouldn't call it 'horrifying,' particularly as Syd James had a long-term relationship with Windsor offscreen. Plus, the 'schoolgirls' in 'Carry on Camping' didn't look anything like children - more like page 3 models on little skirts.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Timcito said:
    JEM said: Watching Sid James and Bernard Bresslaw leching over Barbara Windsor dressed up as a schoolgirl is horrifying with hindsight. 
    That's overstating it a bit, isn't it? Syd and Bernie leching over Barbara Windsor dressed up as a schoolgirl?  Definitely  inappropriate for 2023, but I wouldn't call it 'horrifying,' particularly as Syd James had a long-term relationship with Windsor offscreen. Plus, the 'schoolgirls' in 'Carry on Camping' didn't look anything like children - more like page 3 models on little skirts.
    There were a lot of complaints, especially about Carry on Girls by which time Sid was sixty and still letching after women in their twenties on screen. For the few films made after that Sid didn’t get to letch any more. 

Anyway, still not watched The Reckoning. I read The Guardian review which said very similar things as on here - Coogan acts very well, the victims involved get to say their piece, the BBC isn’t particularly let off lightly but it doesn’t really add anything. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Timcito said:
    There were a lot of complaints, especially about Carry on Girls by which time Sid was sixty and still letching after women in their twenties on screen. For the few films made after that Sid didn’t get to letch any more. 
    That I didn't know.  I do remember that in 1975 (aged 11) I went through a very brief religious/puritanical/clutching-at-pearls phase and refused to go and see Carry On Behind.  I have seen it many times since, of course.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Philly_Q said:
    Timcito said:
    That I didn't know.  I do remember that in 1975 (aged 11) I went through a very brief religious/puritanical/clutching-at-pearls phase and refused to go and see Carry On Behind.  I have seen it many times since, of course.
    I can’t remember much about that one although notable for no Sid. I gather they weren’t paid all that much and would prioritise most other acting gigs over the films. 

When I was maybe 14 I refused to go see Jim Davidson in pantomime because I thought he was a horrible racist. I’m still quite pleased with that decision.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    When I was maybe 14 I refused to go see Jim Davidson in pantomime because I thought he was a horrible racist. I’m still quite pleased with that decision.
    Yeah, you got that one right.