Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Youtube prankster shot - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Youtube prankster shot

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • His mums fit though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I'd say that "prank" carried out by two young men hassling a much smaller stranger must have felt pretty scary. I'm getting older, have had various health issues and currently am blind in one eye awaiting yet another operation and as someone who's 6'3" and always been capable of looking after myself have started to get an inkling of what it's like to feel vulnerable around strangers sometimes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the demeanor of the prankster while stood next to his mother is his general behaviour that that may have had a bearing on the outcome too. 

He's a big guy and a cocky cunt in country full of armed people. I'm not advocating his death, but he shouldn't be remotely surprised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Can't say this is surprising. Pranking strangers in a country where enough of the population is scared, paranoid and armed is eventually not going to end well.

Bit shitty all round, but overall, in the context of the USA, I think my sympathies lie with the shooter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steersteer Frets: 1043

I’ll add that we don’t know what the accused has been through in the past and a character reference would be useful. I hope we can agree that delivery work exposes you to a lot of weird & difficult situations, some of which may be quite scary and could affect the way you view situations. 
    If the gunman is such a damaged flower that he is liable to snap and shoot someone at point blank range after 30 seconds of nonsense, then they should not be allowed to have a gun and frankly should not be allowed near sharp objects either.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    steer said:

If the gunman is such a damaged flower that he is liable to snap and shoot someone at point blank range after 30 seconds of nonsense, then they should not be allowed to have a gun and frankly should not be allowed near sharp objects either.
    Are we talking some vaguely sane place now? Or the USA?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    What the fuck is wrong with Americans (and indeed anyone in this thread saying the guy got what was due to him?)

Guns as the first response? A good punch in the guts would have done it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    What the fuck is wrong with Americans (and indeed anyone in this thread saying the guy got what was due to him?)

For all we know the shooter has been beaten up by people before and carries a gun around with a mantra it is not happening to me again.  The shooter also has to consider the two menacing looking dudes harassing him for no reason may well have guns. I agree he wasn't justified to shoot but most people on here are not saying he got what he was due, just that behaving like that in a country with such easy access to guns opens you to that risk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The shooter shouldn't have shot the guy. But he was, what, 5'9? The "prankster" is 6'5. And not a lean man, he's pretty big. I'd feel very intimidated if he, and a crony, appeared out of nowhere and started pushing a device in my face.

The fact that guns are so prevalent in the US is a major problem, and the fact that - unlike here and many other countries - the default position is that you can own a gun, rather than anyone who wants one needs to apply for a license, is also a major problem. You have to wonder if the shooter has some issues with mental stability, given how quickly he pulled and shot.

But equally, is that what happened? There's no requirement in the US to have any training in order to own a gun, and in Texas, there's not even a requirement to have a permit to carry a concealed hand gun. So it's entirely possible that Colie pulled the gun, intending to threaten Cook, and fired accidentally. A light trigger, and a wielder who doesn't know to keep their finger outside the trigger guard until they intend to fire, could easily end with an accidental discharge.

That said, the general thinking is that if you're going to pull a gun on someone, you need to be prepared to use it. Otherwise they'll just take your gun from you and shoot you with it. So Colie might have just committed, and pulled and shot really fast.

I don't think Colie was justified, but equally anyone that harasses people - particularly strangers in a public place - should be subject to legal penalties. I don't find prankster-style comedy funny - occasionally, if it's something along the lines of celebrities doing hidden camera shows, it can be OK (the Dave Lee Travis Gotcha Oscar made me laugh when I was a kid, although mostly for the bit at the end after the reveal) but generally I find it to be repulsive and mean. It's easy-target comedy that relies on people being made uncomfortable (at the least - often scared) and the people that perpetrate it don't deserve the money or fame they get from it.

In this case, I think NBA rules should apply - one foul doesn't cancel out another. Colie should have been convicted of attempted manslaughter (clearly not premeditated, and definitely extenuating circumstances) and Cook should have been charged with, and convicted of, harassment and intimidation (insert appropriate legal terms as necessary). Colie shouldn't be allowed to own guns, or at the very least shouldn't be able to carry a loaded weapon on his person outside of a registered shooting club. Cook shouldn't be allowed to film strangers in public.

But until America realises that the right to bear arms was appropriate at the time of the second amendment, but not any more, and that the right was conferred by an amendment and therefore isn't as unalienable as many pro-gun people claim, this sort of thing will keep on happening.

Just for full disclosure, I own several shotguns. I don't believe that guns have no place in modern society (I use mine for clay pigeon shooting, for example), however I also believe that access should be difficult and there are people who should not be allowed near them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What the fuck is wrong with Americans (and indeed anyone in this thread saying the guy got what was due to him?)

I'm 5'11, and if I tried punching Tanner Cook in the guts, he would almost certainly laugh at me. Colie is probably 2 or 3 inches shorter than me, at least.

I'm not saying that shooting was the right thing to do, but there are many of us for whom punching things isn't really an option, especially when the prospective target is a large man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

When there are two of them? When one of them is acting aggressive and standing over you and he's younger and big enough to tear you limb from limb with his bare hands? When he won't take no for an answer? When you have already backed away three times? (Hint: watch the video.)

In a country where guns are 100% legal and using them to defend yourself is 100% legal, it is not unreasonable to argue that the shooter was acting sensibly and according to the law. And in fact, that is exactly what the jury did: said he was guilty of a fairly minor act of firearm carelessness and NOT GUILTY of the shooting  as it was self defence.

Do the yanks have stupid gun laws? Sure they do. But after a fair trial,  he was found NOT GUILTY by a jury of his peers. 

Personally, I'd like to have seen the selfish bastard get what he deserved, which is a good humiliating thrashing he will remember and actually learn something from instead of just a minor wound which doesn't seem to have taught him anything at all. Unfortunately, the coward took care to harass someone much smaller and weaker than himself.

Was the shooting justified? Not in my book. Just the same, the arsehole deserved everything he got. Pity he didn't get something he could learn from.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Guns as the first response?
    Again, watch the video. It wasn't the FIRST response. 

1: he walks away
    2: he is pinned against the counter where it us awkward to escape
    3: he backs off
    4: he says "no"
    5: he backs away faster
    6: he defends himself against the phone shoved in his face
    7: he says "stop"
    8: he tries to escape
    9: he says "STOP!"
    10:the arsehole still keeps on coming and, finally, the victim shootsl

Could he have threatened rather than shot? Maybe. Hard to be sure that would have worked. Especially given how much bigger and faster the young arsehole is, and how close he was. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    edited October 2023

.Tannin said:

Could he have threatened rather than shot? 

But he would rather have shot than threatened.

I'm willing to bet that a good proportion of males that apply for and get a concealed carry permit (in states where you even need one) spend a good deal of time thinking about using that gun.

I’m speculating, but I imagine that carrying a weapon must stimulate the carrier to mentally run through scenarios where it might be used.

I think it’s normal for people to imagine what they might unleash on another, physically, verbally, whatever, should circumstances dictate it. A bit of justified aggression can be a pleasurable daydream.

So allowing people to carry guns around condemns the poor blighters to a violent inner life of immature fantasy.

Plus you get instances like this where the carrier uses it at the first legally justifiable opportunity because… - well why else does he carry the damn thing around?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited October 2023
    In our standard this side of the pond, he cannot shoot someone.  In the UK he would have been charged with a lot more and be found guilty.  The reaction was not proportional to the "attack".

In America...both legally and morally, he was in the right to defend himself.  Different country, different standard.  He had a permit to carry and he was found Not Guilty.  So whilst my own morals and education would say he should not have fired, but there is a part of me that thinks the prankster got what was coming considering where he is.

I do not feel bad for the prankster being shot...had he been killed my tune might have changed but as it stands, I don't feel bad for feeling this way.

In the back of my mind, there is this lingering thought of the Thin Skull Rule, or the Egg Shell rule in the states, where you cannot go around hitting someone in the head no matter how lightly because you never know who has a "thin skull",  I know this probably isn't applicable in this scenario but the logic in that "you just never know who is going to snap", apply.

We can't apply our own European laws and morals to Americans but the standard there is different, so I have to look through that lens when analysing this.
    @DannyP I don't disagree with any of that.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    Subscribed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I find it strange that the shooter was and still is in custody.
    Normally in these shooting cases they're bailed on the same day.
    What's going on with this guy that he's still in custody despite being judged not guilty on the most serious charge?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Frankly, I'd shoot all these unfunny, bratty pranksters.
    In fact, I'd go further, I'd shoot all their brain dead followers.
    Maybe not fatally but enough to cause them excruciating pain, the wankers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    p90fool said:

He's a big guy and a cocky cunt in country full of armed people. I'm not advocating his death, but he shouldn't be remotely surprised.
    I think the term 'cocky cunt' sums this arsehole up perfectly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    p90fool said:

And let’s not forget the ’prankster’ also had an accomplice who was also squaring up to the accused as well as the camera man
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673

Youtube prankster shot

Good. Assholes.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited October 2023
    Offset said:
    p90fool said:

And let’s not forget the ’prankster’ also had an accomplice who was also squaring up to the accused as well as the camera man
    Not to mention the third shooter on the grassy mall..
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Sassafras said:
    I better go to YouTube and check who I'm still subscribed too from 15 years ago...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    My view is it was disproportionate, obviously. They were harassing him yes but they weren't attacking him and there's nothing to suggest they would've. He had a gun and knew that this was an option if actually running away didn't help but he took a very final option without really trying to get away. Life has always been considered cheap in certain parts of the States so it's not surprising that someone would react like this.

But this is hindsight, and the guy felt suitably harassed enough to shoot the idiot. Who knows what his history is, whether he was bullied relentlessly, whether he has severe mental health issues, whether his friends and coworkers are attacked constantly while at work. Maybe he thought he saw a weapon.

The law says (here at least) reasonable force is what you felt was reasonable at the time, although this does in fact need to be reasonable. But who can decide that at the time, or know what damage is going to be caused by reasonable force? To him that may have been reasonable in that moment when he assessed the situation. 

Bottom line, he fucked around and found out. Leave people alone, don't harass someone who looks like he's tired of life and your chances of getting shot go down drastically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    edited October 2023
    Talk first, shoot later.

I'm sure pulling out the handgun and saying "Get the fuck away from me", would have been a better thing to do. 
    I'm pretty sure that the little prankster, the second little prankster and the camera person would have shat their keks and headed for the hills......or maybe the Burger King. 

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    edited October 2023
    p90fool said:
    I'd say that "prank" carried out by two young men hassling a much smaller stranger must have felt pretty scary. I'm getting older, have had various health issues and currently am blind in one eye awaiting yet another operation and as someone who's 6'3" and always been capable of looking after myself have started to get an inkling of what it's like to feel vulnerable around strangers sometimes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the demeanor of the prankster while stood next to his mother is his general behaviour that that may have had a bearing on the outcome too. 

Yeah - have to say when I watched the video, I can see why the little guy felt threatened. Two guys approaching him, the big 6'5" one pushing right into his space within swinging/head-butting distance and holding a possibly metal-cased phone less than a foot away from his head - plus a third filming the whole lot. In his shoes I'd have been pretty certain I was in for a beating.

I'm not entirely adverse to a bit of a ruck now and again btw - getting into about a couple of dozen tussles a week at the local judo club kinda helps on that front - but two / three menacing characters coming on to you like that, and one of them about 4 weight categories bigger.. ? I'd have been looking for help, or the door post haste - and the little guy didn't look much of a runner either.

Given it was 'Merica, and there is a culture around right to bear arms, defend yourself - I'm not all surprised he pulled and fired the gun, and equally not surprised (nor indeed greatly troubled by) the fact that the jury took a lenient view.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    I probably fall into the "he didn't deserve to get shot but it should not surprise him if someone he's pranking does turn round and do something he doesn't like" category. This whole pranking thing is beyond disgusting to my mind. There's need to be a real clampdown on people who do it, preferably with punishments that are harsh, unusual and humiliating, and carried out in public and shown, for free, on youtube etc. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited October 2023
    Sassafras said:
    In fact America should bring in a law making it illegal not to shoot pranksters who harass you.  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    merlin said:
    Talk first, shoot later.

I'm sure pulling out the handgun and saying "Get the fuck away from me", would have been a better thing to do. 
    I'm prettu sure that the little prankster, the second little prankster and the camera person would have shat their keks and headed for the hills......or maybe the Burger King. 

They could run, or they would go "ooooooh gun! this is great content! You are not going to shoot, what are you going to do with that?" and then entice him some more.  There were 3 of them after all. 

I am sure one of the sayings they have is that if you are not prepared to pull the trigger, don't pull out the gun.  The guy just skipped a couple of steps in between and went straight from pulling it out and shooting.  Shoot first, apologise later is the name of the game here.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Personally, I don't think 'pranks & pranksters' are really appropriate terms to describe what took place in the shooting episode  & other such events that have been mentioned here.
    The people perpetrating such behaviors are just spoilt, mean spirited, nasty selfish cunts, videoing the victims of their bullying for 'lolz', 'shits & giggles' & likes from other like minded moronic twats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter