Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I bought two Chibsons - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I bought two Chibsons

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited October 2023
    Today’s Dunsy’s review of a modern Moderne copy from China.
    https://youtu.be/LwG7NUIJaUw?si=tW0UEq9uE7tKshSP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jonny the budget guitar show on YouTube was sent a limited edition Fazley guitar to review by Bax music a few weeks back.
    It was a nice looking guitar.
    Then he found out the same guitar was for sale on amazon Germany under a different name for lots less money.
    So he bought to check out.
    IMO it was a much better looking guitar because of its much nicer scratch plate.
    Nobody in their right mind would counterfeit Fazley guitars .
    It’s basically a Chinese factory doing a run of same guitars for Bax and another company .
    Top Japanese factories used to do exactly the same in the 70s 80s 90s
    lots of the same guitars with different names on them.

Fazley and Jet are supposed to be exactly the same guitars,minus headstock brand of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jonny the budget guitar show on YouTube was sent a limited edition Fazley guitar to review by Bax music a few weeks back.
    Then he found out the same guitar was for sale on amazon Germany under a different name for lots less money.
    IMO it was a much better looking guitar because of its much nicer scratch plate.
    It’s basically a Chinese factory doing a run of same guitars for Bax and another company .

Fazley and Jet are supposed to be exactly the same guitars,minus headstock brand of course.
    Jet used to make Fazley guitars for Bax music but stopped a while back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    https://youtu.be/LwG7NUIJaUw?si=tW0UEq9uE7tKshSP
    So £260 will get you what appears to be a veneer fronted, multi part body (may be veneer backed too) with tuners that foul up at the first string change, dubious parentage pickups and more careless polishing compound than you can shake a stick at ... but you do get a very 'metal' body shape and a very illegal logo. 

For just a few quid (£40) more than that you can have a very 'metal' guitar (that in my opinion is much prettier), with very reasonable pickups, a name on the headstock it both deserves and is legal, It will be built to exacting standards and be playable and reliable out of the box. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwG7NUIJaUw
    I like this guy.  He's got a Molly Hatchet T-shirt and Starz LP sleeves on his wall.

I have to say - dodgy headstock logo aside, that's a separate issue - I do still find these guitars quite appealing.  Owning a Moderne would be cool, but not at today's Gibson prices.  You could buy this, which looks to have a decently made chassis, upgrade everything which needs upgrading and still have an objectively cheap guitar which fully looks the part.

Point taken about the Jackson, Ash (although it will surely also have a multi-part body under the paint), but I don't want a Superstrat, I want a Moderne.  (Well, I don't want it that much, but if I was making a free choice...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I like this guy.  He's got a Molly Hatchet T-shirt and Starz LP sleeves on his wall.

I have to say - dodgy headstock logo aside, that's a separate issue - I do still find these guitars quite appealing.  Owning a Moderne would be cool, but not at today's Gibson prices.  You could buy this, which looks to have a decently made chassis, upgrade everything which needs upgrading and still have an objectively cheap guitar which fully looks the part.

Point taken about the Jackson, Ash (although it will surely also have a multi-part body under the paint), but I don't want a Superstrat, I want a Moderne.  (Well, I don't want it that much, but if I was making a free choice...)
    Is the headstock logo really a  separate issue? So far pretty much every 'Chibson' I've seen has had the illegal logo on ...  albeit blurred out in images, or with a sticker over it. If they are available without logos then people certainly don't seem to be buying them without. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

Is the headstock logo really a  separate issue? So far pretty much every 'Chibson' I've seen has had the illegal logo on ...  albeit blurred out in images, or with a sticker over it. If they are available without logos then people certainly don't seem to be buying them without. 
    No, it's not, it's very much part of the issue, and the reason I wouldn't buy one. 

But I put it aside because I wanted to talk specifically about the point of buying a cheap copy of a Moderne, or a Futura, or an RD, versus a similarly priced Jackson or Yamaha or whatever.  I like those old designs, but nobody makes legitimate copies.  Not even Harley Benton, as far as I know.  Maybe there's a market.

Jet used to make Fazley guitars for Bax music but stopped a while back.
    Are Fazley still in production? If so,I assume they aren't made at the same factory any more now?
  • Sassafras said:
    I'm getting myself one of these babies:

Does it come with instructions on how to fit it in the case?Picture 1 of 6
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Philly_Q said:

The people in the market for these don't want one without a counterfeit Gibson logo. They want to fool themselves and others that they have a Gibson or what is the point?

There are plenty of Gibson copies (Vintage etc) that are very reasonably priced, good quality and can be tried out here before purchase rather than buying something unseen from a standard pic of what you may or may not be getting from China.
  • Neil said:
    Philly_Q said:

The people in the market for these don't want one without a counterfeit Gibson logo. They want to fool themselves and others that they have a Gibson or what is the point?

There are plenty of Gibson copies (Vintage etc) that are very reasonably priced, good quality and can be tried out here before purchase rather than buying something unseen from a standard pic of what you may or may not be getting from China.
    Neil said:
    Philly_Q said:

Neil ,
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I totally disagree with your theory on this.
    Also none of the companies you mention made in China guitars Make a RD or Moderne shaped guitars.
    As I posted above I bought these out of curiosity and for a bit of fun.
    Im not trying to fool anyone or going to sell them.
    I know for a fact Dunsy isn’t also.He’s got a excellent collection of old Gibson’s 
    including a 1940s lap steel that sounds awesome.

Any idiot can spot these are not real Gibsons a mile off.
    As it happens I’ve been quite pleasantly surprised with the ones I’ve bought.

• Sassafras said:
    I'm getting myself one of these babies:

Does it come with instructions on how to fit it in the case?Picture 1 of 6
    I quite fancy a couple of those style guitars in different colours as decoration in my home entrance hall.
    I also fancy some of the Perspex LED guitars as wall hanging Christmas decorations .
    Would be good conversation pieces if nothing else.
  • Check these Moderne’s out.

https://youtu.be/td5NkhGXwKI?feature=shared

^^ That was entertaining.
  • My Moderne actually sounds really good .
     I did have more powder under my pickups than Dunsy .
    The pots are really small but work OK.
    The tuners work but I will replace them at some point.

My RD has much bigger and better pots and better tuners.
    It’s obviously nothing like the real thing that had all the extra electronic stuff in it but it sounds excellent and will probably sound even better if I change the pickups.
    This is a hobby and a bit of fun.
    My guitar amp tech guru is over from Australia for a month over Christmas & New year.(His wife is missing cold wet & windy UK weather)So I’m getting him to replace pickups in a few guitars and add coil split push pull pots & do some other work while he’s here  <3

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I would love to see / hear if that’s really a Gibson Moderne up against Billy Gibbons really one?

• I had another Chibson arrive yesterday in one piece safe and sound after a bit of a delay when it arrived in the UK .
    It’s a style of guitar  I’ve never owned or played before but have always wondered about?
    So thought I would take a punt on one.
    My offer was excepted and it arrived yesterday morning parcel force 24.
    Im impressed with its looks build finish and sound quality.
    It’s not as big or as heavy as I was expecting which is a big plus.
    Ive been noodling away bonding with it while watching the cricket today .
    Have to say it’s one of the most comfortable guitars to play while sitting and sounds great unplugged.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I had another Chibson arrive yesterday in one piece safe and sound after a bit of a delay when it arrived in the UK .
    It’s a style of guitar  I’ve never owned or played before but have always wondered about?
    So thought I would take a punt on one.
    My offer was excepted and it arrived yesterday morning parcel force 24.
    Im impressed with its looks build finish and sound quality.
    It’s not as big or as heavy as I was expecting which is a big plus.
    Ive been noodling away bonding with it while watching the cricket today .
    Have to say it’s one of the most comfortable guitars to play while sitting and sounds great unplugged.

...and now you're going to post some pics :-)